Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colorado Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum81/)
-   -   Colorado Offroad ?'s (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1065035-colorado-offroad-s.html)

jlmotox 05-07-2011 01:56 AM

Colorado Offroad ?'s

I'm taking a vacation in mid June and the family and I are driving my SD out to wander through the Rockies, I have a week to spend there and was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on gotta see places, must do's, and don't dare take your truck on roads. also any other suggestions or secret spots you wanna share. I'm going to start the trip coming in from Durango.

thanks guys!

Shawns Fords 05-08-2011 06:05 PM

I dont know the trails and where to send you, but im sure someone will key in on here. Enjoy your visit.

jlmotox 05-08-2011 11:13 PM

thanks! you guys are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!
I can't wait to go, I was born in denver and moved to cali when I was 5, i've been through the southwest mountains a couple times as a kid and loved it then and have been dreaming of going back for a long time now!

also if anyone knows where to find good off road maps online that would be great. I know I can get them once I get there at a ranger station but would really like to get some before for pre-planning...i've been using google earth but the laptop is not going so I'll need some good ole maps once I get there!

Shawns Fords 05-08-2011 11:38 PM

Annual Chinamans Gulch Weekend Event 6/10/11-6/12/11 - Rocky Mountain Ford Truck Club (RMFTC) Forums
This event is a bit north of where you'll be, I am planning on going there for my first time. I only hope my bronco will be ready by then. There is a link on there somewhere to get you to a trail map.
I read about a trail earlier today in the area you'll be but wont tell you to go in that good looking pickup because of the switchbacks. Hate to see you tear it up because I told you to go there.

jlmotox 05-09-2011 12:22 AM

Thanks for that link! too bad I'm leaving cali on the week after the event...but that site did give me some good info and ideas.

yea I know some of the trails out there are jeep only and my big SD is not going to fit very well, which is also why I posted for tips and warnings. I remember going over Black bear pass near telluride as a kid in a small 4x4 and it was super tight! about the only place I remember well due to the sheer cliffs and switchbacks, it made an impression that will stick with me forever! I don't want to get near anything that hardcore that far from home, but am welcome to any moderate offroading.
thanks for the compliment on the truck! much appreciated!

Shawns Fords 05-09-2011 11:06 AM

Black Bear pass is the trail I was not going to tell you about. LOL

Hypoid 05-22-2011 10:02 AM

Traildamage is pretty good for researching trails. The only caveat is that conditions can change in a short time.

TrailDamage.com

It is always a good idea to check with the relevant Ranger Districts for road status and other restrictions.

Region 2- Alerts & Notices

Since you will be in the four corners area, Mesa Verde is a must see.

There are a few scenic railways in the region:
Home :: Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad :: New Mexico and Colorado
Home
Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

Then there is rafting and fishing...