Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Tracking system? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1064271-tracking-system.html)

tseekins 05-04-2011 05:54 AM

Tracking system?

Do these trucks or any of Ford's vehicles have a factory installed tracking system on them in case of theft?

I was speaking to my insurance company yesterday and that was a question that they asked me.

shotgunz 05-04-2011 06:07 AM

No they don't.

tseekins 05-04-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunz (Post 10298974)
No they don't.

I didn't think so but thanks anyway.

NumberDummy 05-04-2011 05:37 PM

GM's On Star has a tracking system, the same system is used in the Lexus.

On Star will also open a locked vehicle, has a built-in NAV system, sorta. You push a button on the rear view mirror, a real live person answers, gives directions. Acts like a two way walkie-talkie.

On Star is free for the first 6 (or 12, cannot remember) months, then you have to pay for a subscription for future months/years.

After you buy the pile, while still at the dealer, the salesman pushes the button, a real live person answers, is introduced by the salesman to the purchaser, the system is then activated.

FordTruckMan2004 07-21-2011 09:57 PM

Just FYI, OnStar is now available aftermarket to all vehicles via 3rd Party rear view mirrors. They are available at Best Buy.
Personally I think it would be cool at first and handy in emergencies but I cant justify the cost /month because I can only think on one time in 4 years that I could have used it.

Jus2shy 07-21-2011 11:52 PM

Onstar has several Tiers depending on whether or not you want vehicle diagnostics, directions and connections, stock and weather updates, Lojack-like tracking and a few other telematic services (I know from my sky I used to own). I liked the directions, the person just inserted the information, then the data is loaded onto your onboard computer and gives you directions. Similar to Sync, but Sync is currently free for the next 2 years. Not sure after that. I subscribed to just the lojack stuff and vehicle diagnostics. It was nice to see a report on how your vehicle is doing. You can also do the same with Sync, it's actually been a while since I've done that.

Deluxe05 07-22-2011 12:04 PM

LoJack is about your best alternative. However, they have limited tracking areas which requires that you do your homework before you even give them a call.

juneau76 07-23-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 10301878)
GM's On Star has a tracking system, the same system is used in the Lexus.

You beat me to it. It can also disable the vehicle if it is stolen, which is pretty cool.

msgtord 07-23-2011 09:28 AM

A cheap tracking system for your truck is an extra cell phone. Most plans let you get the phone for only $10.00 per month. And then you sign up for family locator and there you go. If you are parking in an area that you are concerned about, turn on the phone. To track it, you just log on the website and see where it's at.

Just remember to hide the phone. And it you expect to leave it there for an extended time, you may want to plug it in. Most vehicles have a power plug in the center console, or in the back of most pickups and SUV's . Out of sight.

corcora 02-11-2020 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by msgtord (Post 10610876)
A cheap tracking system for your truck is an extra cell phone. Most plans let you get the phone for only $10.00 per month. And then you sign up for family locator and there you go. If you are parking in an area that you are concerned about, turn on the phone. To track it, you just log on the website and see where it's at.

Just remember to hide the phone. And it you expect to leave it there for an extended time, you may want to plug it in. Most vehicles have a power plug in the center console, or in the back of most pickups and SUV's . Out of sight.

The mobile phone can only track the location of the vehicle. It cannot set geo-fences and issue alarms like a professional car tracking system. The most important point is that it is too large, it is easy to find, and it has potential safety hazards. Seriously, you should get something professional rather than cheap and convenient.

newfordy 02-14-2020 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deluxe05 (Post 10608102)
LoJack is about your best alternative. However, they have limited tracking areas which requires that you do your homework before you even give them a call.

I was thinking that too. If all you want is tracking. The dealership here in central CA where I got my '14 puts LoJack on all their vehicles, one time fee of about $1000(sure there is profit in there too).