Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   2006 5.4 Spark Plug Change- 100% success & procedure I used (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1063803-2006-5-4-spark-plug-change-100-success-and-procedure-i-used.html)

autonoz 07-10-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dos0711 (Post 10557888)
I got all 8 of mine out using carb cleaner...none broke. Follow the TSB and take your time...you'll be golden!

How many miles and what brand carb cleaner?

paulsan 10-29-2011 08:40 PM

Changed on 2004 5.4

Thanks for the many threads on this topic. I purchased a 2004 F-150 with 88,000 miles on it. I ordered the Lisle LIS65600 as added insurance. I ran two tanks of Lucas injector cleaner before attempting.

I didn't have to remove any of the air system or fuel rails. I did remove the computer to get to #1 properly.

Although I followed the TSB and many recommendations, I did have #6 and #8 break. #8 looked unusually bad and didn't look like some of the carbon was even lose. The other 6 that came out all were tight and squeeked most of the way out which made for a lot of anxiety especially on #1 and #5. The electrode was worn down quite a bit on all of them.

The Lisle tool was a life saver. I needed to purchase an extended 15/16" socket to make it work but I had all the extensions from change on my former V-10.

I used the Sea-Fome because it had more lubricant than carb cleaner. The 6 that came out clean had lots of build up that had broken down.

With hindsight, I think I would have avoided #6 breaking had I done the procedure before but #8 would have broken no matter what.

The engine is running great now and I'm sure that the milage will get back to normal.

Thanks again to everyone who pioneered this!

Paul

Ted928 10-29-2011 09:58 PM

I have read these thread for years and I don't remembering seeing anyone breaking a plug while using kroil. I used kroil and did not break any with 18k miles.
Has anyone broken a plug while using kroil???

Beechkid 10-30-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ted928 (Post 10978293)
I have read these thread for years and I don't remembering seeing anyone breaking a plug while using kroil. I used kroil and did not break any with 18k miles.
Has anyone broken a plug while using kroil???

That's why i used "Yield". like Kroil, it has mineral spriits to act as a lubrocant, but it's penetrating qualities are even better than Kroil IMHO.

johngeorge 11-04-2012 03:18 PM

I Love this post! I started my wife's 106,000 mile '06 Expy last night and let it run to operating temp. Removed COP's and cracked each plug about 1/16th to 1/8th turn. Sprayed PB Blaster in each hole. Let it soak over night. Today, using the easy back and forth technique, all eight came out in one piece. I am ecstatic to say the least. I'm thinking of putting my new, never used extraction tool on the mantle as a reminder of how lucky I am.

autonoz 11-04-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by johngeorge (Post 12449304)
I Love this post! I started my wife's 106,000 mile '06 Expy last night and let it run to operating temp. Removed COP's and cracked each plug about 1/16th to 1/8th turn. Sprayed PB Blaster in each hole. Let it soak over night. Today, using the easy back and forth technique, all eight came out in one piece. I am ecstatic to say the least. I'm thinking of putting my new, never used extraction tool on the mantle as a reminder of how lucky I am.

Did the same with a 05 with 90,000 miles on it. Only let soak for one hour though. All eight came out. No breakage. Brand new extraction tool sitting in tool box.

johngeorge 11-04-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by johngeorge (Post 12449304)

I forgot to add that I did run 1/2 can of Seafoam through the vacuum line from the brake booster and a can and a half in the tank before doing this.

AuToMoSeS 07-21-2014 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the idears! Glad I did my homework before starting the job. The moment I attempted to break the #6 spark plug loose (that was the misfire code) I heard a crackle, it sounded like porcelin cracking, I loosened it a few more clicks then sprayed it with ford rust penetrant & inhibitor (the old stuff, they don't make it no more) I left it sit overnight. Next day I warmed up the engine, the worked it both directions, then the plug unscrewed, but the lower section stayed in. Fortunately, I already bought the Lisle 65600 extractor tool. I followed the directions and it worked well. Now for the other seven. I started on the #5 next, this time I used my 3/8 impact gun and it came right out. next #7, used the impact again but this one left the electrode behind. As for the other 5 plugs, I used the impact gun, but only giving it short bursts on the low setting Like zap..zap..zap.and zapped them all out without breaking another. Method, coincidence or just plain luck, who knows.
All in all, they are easier to access than the previous model and even if they do break, it not so bad.

AuToMoSeS 07-21-2014 07:25 PM

I really don't think lubricating does anything but protect the threads. If the lower section is in the combustion chamber and carbon has it stuck, it's gonna break, that's why I think the vibration of the impact has the best chance of working.

ITDave 06-18-2016 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by autonoz (Post 10558395)
How many miles and what brand carb cleaner?

Where can I find the TSB?

Thanks, Dave

thousand_mile_stare 06-22-2016 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ITDave (Post 16366465)
Where can I find the TSB?

Thanks, Dave

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%...-06%20FORD.pdf