Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1996 F250 Transmission Shifting Problem! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060806-1996-f250-transmission-shifting-problem.html)

jrod82pa 04-21-2011 07:00 PM

1996 F250 Transmission Shifting Problem!

Ah yes I have a transmission problem. It's an automatic it shifts hard in every gear. And even when it is down shifting. Fluid is at correct lvl. It is a 3 speed 1st, 2nd, and drive. Last thing I want to do is spring for a new used auto transmission. If its not fixable once it goes I'm sticking a manual transmission in it. Any help is very much appreciated. Also don't know if the filter and tranny fluid has ever been changed. With saying that I have changed filter and tranny fluids in other autos and found to have problems with them not to long afterwards when they have high miles on the tranny. So don't know if I want to go that route or not. Hope to hear from other ford truck fans. Thanks

SideWinder4.9l 04-21-2011 07:05 PM

I thought 96' models had either a E4OD or a 4r70w.....

jrod82pa 04-21-2011 07:11 PM

Believe me I wish it had OD. I only get 11 mpg. And with these gas prices good thing work is only 10 miles round trip. Anyways umm yeah idk it is a 3 speed. Been trying to figure out what tranny it is. Idk what the 4r70w is. Could u fill me in on that please?

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 10249808)

jrod82pa 04-21-2011 07:34 PM

Okay I found out mine has a C6 tranny. Here is a website Ford C6 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 10249808)

SideWinder4.9l 04-21-2011 07:43 PM

Ok then....Hmmm....Could be the Torque Converter locking up? Maybe a new filter/fluid would eliminate it....If anything else comes up, well, its better now, while its torn apart at your home, on your terms, than 100 miles away, on its terms....

The c6 is virtually indestructable....Seriously...You can get a couple upgrades for it too...

-Wes

jrod82pa 04-21-2011 07:55 PM

I might just have to try changing the filter/fluid! After reading that article. I just don't want to take it to a mechanic and get screwed like I usually do. So i figured I would come on here and ask around before I start asking mechanics. I don't think its the transmission itself. Cause it has been doing it for over a month. You would think it would have gave out by now. I will post if I find anything new. or if I get the problem fixed. thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 10249975)
Ok then....Hmmm....Could be the Torque Converter locking up? Maybe a new filter/fluid would eliminate it....If anything else comes up, well, its better now, while its torn apart at your home, on your terms, than 100 miles away, on its terms....

The c6 is virtually indestructable....Seriously...You can get a couple upgrades for it too...

-Wes

SideWinder4.9l 04-21-2011 07:59 PM

You're welcome man....Keep checking on this thread...They're are a LOT of men on here that are WAY smarter than I....And btw, welcome to FTE...:-X22

-Wes

White 97 xlt 04-21-2011 09:16 PM

IF it is indeed a C6, check the vacuum line leading to the modulator on the rear passenger side of the transmission.. If all is cool there make sure someone hasn't changed the modulator and lost the pin.. Then again the modulator could have just gone bad...

You can check for a bad diaphragm in the modulator by pulling the vacuum line off, if there is trans fluid in the line its bad.

jrod82pa 04-21-2011 09:24 PM

okay, thanks I will check that before I change the tran filter/fluid.

Originally Posted by White 97 xlt (Post 10250349)
IF it is indeed a C6, check the vacuum line leading to the modulator on the rear passenger side of the transmission.. If all is cool there make sure someone hasn't changed the modulator and lost the pin.. Then again the modulator could have just gone bad...

You can check for a bad diaphragm in the modulator by pulling the vacuum line off, if there is trans fluid in the line its bad.

jrod82pa 05-03-2011 05:01 PM

does this make sense anyone! Ok my truck has been shifting hard and down shifting hard for a long while. No all the sudden the other day about 3 days ago it started shifting normal can barely feel it shift. And has been shifting fine for 3 days now. Any clue anyone?

SideWinder4.9l 05-03-2011 05:04 PM

That would be the wonderful way fords work...Feel like they're gonna tear all to pieces, and then magically fix themselves.....:D

T. Myles 12-03-2011 09:27 AM

trans trouble

Hi guys,
I am new to this site and I have the same problem with hard shifting aswell. Sometimes it shifts hard and other times it does not. When it shifts hard the over drive light on the shift selector flashes on and off. Next time I go some place it may be fine and does not flash. Anyone have the same problem?

This truck is 1997 f250hd

FORDF250HDXLT 12-03-2011 12:14 PM

T. Myles,
welcome to FTE.
you should have pressed the "new thread" button instead of replying to this old c6 thread.
you have an E40D and it is in safety mode right now (this means high line pressure,and will shift hard.perfectly normal.this is to protect the trans while you limp it home,or to a shop to diagnose it) what you want to do first is scan for codes,to see why it entered safety mode (or at least,hopefully and most likely point you in the right direction.)

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 10249975)
Ok then....Hmmm....Could be the Torque Converter locking up?
-Wes

the old c6 where a very basic trans.there is no locking converter in them old gals.this ones old school.was ok when fuel prices where $1 or even $1.50 per gallon.even back then,a manual trans would have a big leap on her economy of course.