Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   CHECK VALE INFO NEEDED (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1059902-check-vale-info-needed.html)

mowpar 04-18-2011 02:49 PM

CHECK VALE INFO NEEDED

I am trying to replace a check valve. It is on a 93, 150, 5.0

I just found out that there are two check valves on the truck.

One with threads and one with out.

The check valve I am concerned about is the second one in line coming from convertor.

Is this second check valve the one with the threads? The reason I ask is that I just bought truck and the hose going to it was therem but what it had been pluged into was not.

I do have what looks like, the base of a screw in check valve, and nothing else.

It looks like the unit could have rusted, and the top of the check valve has fallen off, out or, whatever.

I do not know if this unit (base?) is made to screw out or, if the top of this there should be a pressure fitted check valve without threads.

I am thinking that what I see that is left, is the base of the old unit that rusted and the top came off. I do not know then, why it is not still clamped to the end of the hose.

If this is to be unscrewed as there is a 1 1/4 inch hex at the base of this, I need to know. I have tried to, with a socket and wd 40 spray, unscrew it. It does not seem to budge, not even a little. leading me to ask,, if it is suppose to screw out, or is it permanently affixed.

I do not want to exert to much pressure and break something, especially if is not made to come out, to begin with.

If it is suppose to screw out, and not the kind that the new check valve just presses into, then I guess I now have a problem I will not be able to rememdy.

I have tried as I said WD40, if I exert more pressure I am sure I will just twist the little cross pipe it is attached to and then have a bigger problem.

I found in another post where a gut seemed to have just blocked this off with something, is that OK to do, will hurt the engines performance of cause lousy gas mileage, or maybe throw off the computers readings,

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long, long winded question.
But I have asked this question before, and have not seemed to get across to, to many people.

Mos t say just go to the auto parts store get the part and replace it. If I had the whole part, or even what I thought to be the whole part, I would but, as I said I just bought the truck and the part seems to be missing, and the truck is running like it has a miss in it.

I took it to advance auto, they said it was a dealer item only.

Do not want to go to dealer, becasue I am told they want 80 dollars for a part, some say I can get for around 20, Don't want to pay there mechanic 80 dollars an hour either. :-X17:-X17:-X17

Edgethis 04-18-2011 03:28 PM

What kind of check valve are you wanting to replace? Something on the trans it sounds?

Also pics might get better responses as to what you're dealing with and how to remove/replace.

mowpar 04-18-2011 03:35 PM

check vale

It is the second in a line of air check valves comeing from the cat convertor

Edgethis 04-18-2011 03:37 PM

O ok, you mean the AIR pump tube?