Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1959 Ford delivery van value question? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1058512-1959-ford-delivery-van-value-question.html)

packrat56 04-13-2011 11:10 AM

1959 Ford delivery van value question?

I located a 59 delivery box van in fair shape, runs, drives-ok.. Trying to negotiate a price. Whats it worth these days? On the low side and on the high side? Any info or idea appreciated!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=67244

56panelford 04-13-2011 12:54 PM

I wouldn't know what it's worth but isn't that a 55 grille?

harleymsn 04-13-2011 01:18 PM

Value on something like that is hard to really determine, but I'll give you my thoughts. Yes, it is a unique truck and you don't see many of them around. Of course there may be a reason you don't see many. Like my F5, the bigger trucks generally don't draw high dollars because you are so limited on model specific parts. With the trucks like mine, there are a lot of parts in common with the pick ups, in this case, that's pretty much not true. It looks like a P500, so the first problem is gonna be those widowmakers, unless it was an old UPS truck with the 22.5's. I'd like to get one like that, but only if I could buy it really cheap, like $500 or less.

packrat56 04-13-2011 01:50 PM

It was newer rims on it, like white-spoke type truck wheels.. Not sure I can get it that cheap.. bummer..

NumberDummy 04-13-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 56panelford (Post 10216245)
I wouldn't know what it's worth but isn't that a 55 grille?

No, because looks can be deceiving. This grille fits 1953 (edit: 1955/77 P Series Parcel Delivery only. Not the same as '55 F Series Trucks.

And, Ford did not supply this grille, only available from the body makers since all P Series were sold without a body.

P Series: Ford sold them as a rolling chassis only with dash gauges and misc other bits and pieces.

So many bakery's bought these things, they are referred to as bread trucks. Also used by UPS before they switched to the E350 rolling chassis first offered in 1975.

The P Series (P400/500) rolling chassis was also used by various Class A motor home manufacturers, like Condor.

When Frito-Lay disposed of 10's of 1000's of these trucks, many were re-painted white and converted to 'home made' campers, especially by hippies. It was larger than the VW micro busses also favored by hippies.

If y'all buy one a these things, be aware that some parts are slim and none as they are P Series only and all are obsolete from FoMoCo.

abe 04-13-2011 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 10216563)
No, because looks can be deceiving. This grille fits 1953/77 P Series Parcel Delivery only. Not the same as '55 F Series Trucks.

Bill is right, except the the 53 and 54 Parcel delivery used a grille that was like the 53 F-series trucks.

As I said before these grilles are identical to the '55 (or the '53 in the case of 53 and 54 trucks) EXCEPT they are shorter or more narrow or not as long. In other words the headlight buckets are closer together.

packrat56 04-13-2011 11:13 PM

Interesting info.. Pretty much talked me out of buying it! Thanks for the heads up about parts and value...

56panelford 04-14-2011 07:03 PM

No, because looks can be deceiving. This grille fits 1953/77 P Series Parcel Delivery only. Not the same as '55 F Series Trucks.

And, Ford did not supply this grille, only available from the body makers since all P Series were sold without a body.

P Series: Ford sold them as a rolling chassis only with dash gauges and misc other bits and pieces.

So many bakery's bought these things, they are referred to as bread trucks. Also used by UPS before they switched to the E350 rolling chassis first offered in 1975.

The P Series (P400/500) rolling chassis was also used by various Class A motor home manufacturers, like Condor.

When Frito-Lay disposed of 10's of 1000's of these trucks, many were re-painted white and converted to 'home made' campers, especially by hippies. It was larger than the VW micro busses also favored by hippies.

If y'all buy one a these things, be aware that some parts are slim and none as they are P Series only and all are obsolete from FoMoCo.

Interesting info Bill. I realized the grilles were narrower for these trucks, I'm I understanding you correctly that the same grille was used from 53 to 77. I've seen hundreds of these trucks over the years but never really gave them much attention mostly because they had and still don't have much appeal to me.

abe 04-14-2011 07:56 PM

Hey Bill, if Ford did not supply these short Parcel Delivery grilles, who did? Who made them?

I found one of these in my favorite old yard once. The junk yard owner told me to look inside the van since sometimes they stick stuff inside. Well, there was the grille to this parcel delivery, in great shape because it was out of the PA Snows and rains. I thought wow! Awesome shape! even if I was looking for parts for my 54, I thought this could be sold to buy a good 54 grille, then I picked it up and carried it and something looked wrong. Took it to my truck and held it up and it was like 6-8 inches shorter, bummer! I guess they would be good to hang on your garage as truck art....

52 Merc 04-14-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 56panelford (Post 10221841)
Interesting info Bill. I realized the grilles were narrower for these trucks, I'm I understanding you correctly that the same grille was used from 53 to 77.

The 53 and 54 Bread vans used a grille resembling a 53 Effie, while the 55 and newer ones used that 55 looking grille for years and years afterward. It's logical to believe that when the earlier part was obsoleted, the later unit was used as it's service replacement, which is what Bill's later catalog is representing as fitting 53-77. From my 1955 parts catalog, part numbers were BRAA 8200-A or B4J 8200-A for the 53-54 trucks, and B5J 8200-A for the 55 and later. It appears the grille and much of the front sheet metal was available from Ford through the service parts division.

ALBUQ F-1 04-14-2011 10:06 PM

Old-timer quiz: do you remmber this guy on FTE? Purple53: The Art Home by Angel Hess

I remember the '53 broke down, it looks like he's got a new scam that keeps him from having to work for a living...

"The themes for this project are based around the concepts of life, family life, peace, hospitality, and, naturally, art. I will be traveling around from place to place, spreading a peaceful word, staying in as many homes as possible for me, while doing portraits of people, their home, and their families. I will capture candid moments and audio of the household during the time I have with each host."

havi 04-14-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 10222597)
Old-timer quiz: do you remmber this guy on FTE? Purple53: The Art Home by Angel Hess

I remember the '53 broke down, it looks like he's got a new scam that keeps him from having to work for a living...

I remember, and I try to forget, lol.

Abe, if yer patient with forming sheet metal, you could make a scaled down version of a '55 pickup, and put it on a lengthened early Bronco frame. :D

NumberDummy 04-15-2011 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by 52 Merc (Post 10222063)
The 53 and 54 Bread vans used a grille resembling a 53 Effie, while the 55 and newer ones used that 55 looking grille for years and years afterward.

It's logical to believe that when the earlier part was obsoleted, the later unit was used as it's service replacement, which is what Bill's later catalog is representing as fitting 53-77.

From my 1955 parts catalog, part numbers were BRAA 8200-A or B4J 8200-A for the 53-54 trucks, and B5J 8200-A for the 55 and later. It appears the grille and much of the front sheet metal was available from Ford through the service parts division.

Uh... :-X15 I guessed on the P Series grille applications. Since the parts catalogs I have do list any part numbers for these grilles, and I couldn't find a pic of any 1953/54 P Series, I assumed the grille was the same 1953/77.

Service Part (replacements): Parts sold at the parts counter. The front end sheet metal parts for the P Series was not serviced after 1964. Parts catalogs sez: Contact body maker.

If someone needs one a these 1955/77 P Series grilles (includes the headlamp assy's, lower valance), I know where a good user is.

abe 04-15-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by havi (Post 10222616)
Abe, if yer patient with forming sheet metal, you could make a scaled down version of a '55 pickup, and put it on a lengthened early Bronco frame. :D

So you are saying get a good P-series grille and build a scaled down truck behind it! Brilliant!

52 Merc 04-15-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 10225172)
So you are saying get a good P-series grille and build a scaled down truck behind it! Brilliant!

So, would that be called an F-62.5? :-X04