Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Big 6 Oil Pan Gasket (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1058511-big-6-oil-pan-gasket.html)

BM19 04-13-2011 11:06 AM

Big 6 Oil Pan Gasket

I have a 95 F150, 2 Wheel Drive, Single Cab Long Bed, with the Big 6 in it, and it needs an oil pan gasket done to it.

From what I understand its a pretty common thing for those motors to push oil pan gaskets out.

My question is, Can this be done without jacking the motor up, there is a crossmember right under the pan which makes dropping it to the ground impossible with out jacking the motor.

If I drop the pan will I have enough room to slide the gasket under the sump?

Thanks

EPNCSU2006 04-13-2011 07:25 PM

Yes, you can replace the gasket without lifting the engine and without taking the pan completely out of the truck. My dad and I replaced the pan gasket on the 300 six in his truck. We took our time on it and still had it up and running again in less than 2 hours.

wpiccian 04-13-2011 09:02 PM

Just be sure it's the oil pan that's leaking. The driver side of this motor has a lifter cover. It's a dumb design, with 6 bolts in the CENTER of the plate. These gaskets are easily pushed out. The oil always runs down and drips off the pan. I learned this lesson the hard way, as i always saw oil dripping off of my drain plug.

SideWinder4.9l 04-13-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by wpiccian (Post 10218125)
Just be sure it's the oil pan that's leaking. The driver side of this motor has a lifter cover. It's a dumb design, with 6 bolts in the CENTER of the plate. These gaskets are easily pushed out. The oil always runs down and drips off the pan. I learned this lesson the hard way, as i always saw oil dripping off of my drain plug.

The Lifter cover is on the DRIVERS side....THe Drain Plug is on the PASSENGER side....Don't mean to call ya on it, but it'd heckva leak to cross the engine to get to the DP....Just sayin'...

-Wes

But I do agree, make sure it is the oil pan....The rear main could easily be dripping...

wpiccian 04-14-2011 08:05 AM

Sidewinder,

You are correct. However, the drain plug is the lowest point on the pan, and gravity takes oil to the drain plug before dripping to the ground. This is exactly what my truck is doing.

SideWinder4.9l 04-14-2011 12:11 PM

Like I said, I aint tryin to call ya on it man....Now, however, if it is doing that while PARKED, definantly....I would agree 110%....But not while driving....Wind, turbulence, etc....

-Wes

BM19 04-16-2011 08:30 PM

Thanks.
its the oil pan though it leaks out above the starter and onto my exhaust. Does the starter have to come off by chance? No big deal just wonderin. Im probably gonna do it this weekend.

Thanks again

Also how can i keep the gasket dry when going under the sump. I feel like no matter what some oil
Will get on the gasket

EPNCSU2006 04-17-2011 07:18 AM

I don't remember having to take off the starter. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the gasket dry as long as you are using the one-piece rubber gasket. Just be careful about it and keep it as dry as you can. Put a small spot of black RTV silicone in the corners where the pan rail on the block meets the hoops around the crankshaft and you should be in good shape.

BM19 04-17-2011 08:49 AM

Do you mean a thin bead of rtv or just a little dab? I would like to only have to do it once haha

SideWinder4.9l 04-17-2011 11:19 AM

In my mind, a thin bead would work....

-Wes

EPNCSU2006 04-17-2011 06:00 PM

Just a small little dab in the very corner where the flat part meets the hoop at each end of the block. The rest of the gasket should be installed dry (discounting a little motor oil -- it won't hurt anything). One more thing is to be sure to torque the bolts to the correct tightness. If you over-torque them it will push out the gasket and cause another leak. Just by memory, I think the spec was 100-120 in.-lbs. Others feel free to chime in if this is incorrect.