Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Coolant Flush Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1052986-coolant-flush-question.html)

Javo 03-25-2011 11:32 AM

Coolant Flush Question

Okay, I'm doing a coolant flush and coolant filter install today. I started to drain my coolant so I can begin the process and have a question...

I have only been able to get about 3.75 gallons of coolant from the drain on my radiator. Shouldn't I get a lot more (around 6-7 gallons) when it's drained? My degas bottle was at the "min" line so I wasn't low on coolant. Is there something I'm missing? This is my first time at this so I'm not sure what to expect.

I did read the "Coolant Flush Procedure" in the Tech Folder but didn't really see any mention as to the amount of coolant that should drain and/or how to get it all out.

Thanks for the help. :-X22

2003 f-250 03-25-2011 11:48 AM

there will be a couple gallons stuck in the block/heads/heater core, ect. and it will simply need to be flushed out, thus the term "coolant flush".

Javo 03-25-2011 11:58 AM

I kinda figured, but wasn't sure. My truck has 120k and I bought it used so I have no idea if it's ever had a flush so I'm going to start with the Simple Green HD, rinse, then go to the VC-9 and then rinse until clear. Can't hurt to "over do it" I guess.

Thanks for the info.

bpounds 03-25-2011 12:20 PM

This has been beaten to death in the 6.0 forum. If you head down there and look around you should have all your questions answered.

But in short, you will need to add 3.5 gallons of concentrated coolant back in, and assuming you have pure distilled water in the block after all your flushing, that will give you a perfect 50% mix when complete.

Pull the drivers side block plug if you have any question as to whether you got enough drained out. Also, be sure to pull the lower radiator hose to drain. That gets quite a bit more than the radiator cock will.

Javo 03-25-2011 01:39 PM

Just got back from the 30 mile highway drive with the Simple Green HD. I'll flush one time and then add the VC-9. When done, I'll do the driver's side plug and radiator hose. Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll need to stop at the dealer while I'm out because they told me I only needed 3 gallons of coolant.

Good news was the original coolant kinda looked like apple juice so I don't believe there's any oil in there. I went ahead with the Simple Green HD to just make sure. Do it right the first time huh?

Dentom052 03-25-2011 04:27 PM

You should use large truck antifreeze when you fill it instead of regular automotive antifreeze. Something about the PH and cylinder pitting problem if you don't

REXHOUND 03-25-2011 04:34 PM

Listen here boy:D (dont be sensitlve now) drain as much out the valve on bottom radiator and fill...call it a day,ya be just fine,do it again in 5 years:-X22

Javo 03-25-2011 05:12 PM

Well Rexhound, being sensitive is not one of my finer traits (so my wife says). :) So no offense taken.

I just finished about a 40 mile highway drive with the VC-9 and finished draining. I was real happy to see it wasn't bad at all. I was a little nervous after the Simple Green HD, it looked like coffee. I rinsed it once after that and it cleared up real nice. So as I type this my truck is running with the high idle mod on in my driveway with my first round of just water after draining the VC-9 batch.

I figure a few more flushes and I'll be ready to install my coolant filter. If I wasn't running out of daylight I'd install my homemade CCV filter. I guess that's next weekend. :-X22

REXHOUND 03-25-2011 05:14 PM

Good job:-X22, them there disel fuel burners sure do smell fine like peachs and wine.:-wink

Javo 03-25-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dentom052 (Post 10138663)
You should use large truck antifreeze when you fill it instead of regular automotive antifreeze. Something about the PH and cylinder pitting problem if you don't

I went with the Motorcraft Premium Gold. Bought it a few days ago at the dealership. Except they told me I needed 3 gallons instead of 4.

bpounds 03-25-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Javo (Post 10138875)
I went with the Motorcraft Premium Gold. Bought it a few days ago at the dealership. Except they told me I needed 3 gallons instead of 4.

Good man. Sounds like you've done your homework well. Don't be takin' no advice from 5.4 drivers. That's what gets the common man in trouble with his diesel. You'll do well, pilgrim. Watch yore topknot!

Javo 03-25-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Javo (Post 10138858)
I figure a few more flushes and I'll be reading to install my coolant filter.

Okay, I was wrong on that one! I've done about 6 flushes and it's pretty clear but not as clear as going in, I'm gonna do one more and call it good. Did get the coolant filter installed, at least that went easy. :-X22

Thanks bpounds for the vote of confidence. I did read the "Coolant Flush" in the Tech Folder so that was a HUGE help. I've gotten so many great ideas and fixes from you guys on FTE, I love it! :-X25

Kajtek1 03-26-2011 05:30 PM

With 78 cents a gallon for distillate water at Walmart, I don't even play with engine plugs. Just buy enough water for 3 flushes or more if you desire.
I used FleetPride lifetime coolant. It is mixable with all other coolants, so I didn't worry about perfect flushing. Comes SCA balanced as well.

Javo 03-26-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kajtek1 (Post 10142914)
With 78 cents a gallon for distillate water at Walmart, I don't even play with engine plugs. Just buy enough water for 3 flushes or more if you desire.

I hear ya, purified water is expensive these days and I ended up using about 36 gallons of water. I'm fortunate though, I've done residential and commercial water treatment for 20 years so I've got a pretty extensive filtration system installed in my house. I ended up using reverse osmosis water which is plenty pure for my application. I have a 20 gallon storage tank, so I just stored some extra a few days before my project.

Kajtek1 03-26-2011 11:23 PM

I am not sure about purified water. The reverse osmosis from what I learned gets pretty close to distillate water, but typical softeners get water softer by replacing calcium with sodium. That from what I have been told can be harmful to cooling system.
Than again, with 78 cents a gallon for real thing, I am not taking my chances. In the past I replaced several radiators because of internal build ups in them. Nothing sucks more than have coolant boiling while you are stuck in Las Vegas traffic at 115F. That was while using green stuff.