Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical Systems/Wiring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum62/)
-   -   Steering Column Wiring Colors? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1052313-steering-column-wiring-colors.html)

lakecityg 03-22-2011 09:41 PM

Steering Column Wiring Colors?

I just bought a 67 F100. The only lights that work are the headlights and the rear lights. Previous owner installed an IDIDIT column and I am really wondering if it is wired right. I have tried to find a diagram that shows which wire is for what on my 67 but I am having no luck. Also there is a wire that is just hanging from the column that states it needs to go to the negative side of the horn relay. I have no clue where the horn relay is either. I am so use to jacking with foxbody Mustangs, and now I am lost! I have to get this thing going. Any suggestions??

Franklin2 03-23-2011 12:17 AM

Here are some diagrams.

Ford Truck Technical Drawings and Schematics - Section H - Wiring Diagrams

lakecityg 03-23-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10127620)

i do have those already but it is still confusing to me to see exactly where the wires come out of the steering column! am i missing something?

Franklin2 03-23-2011 09:37 AM

Using this drawing;
http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...xtlights02.jpg

Circuit #2 is the front pass side blinker-white/blue

Circuit #3 is the front driver's side blinker-green/white

Circuit #810 is the brake switch input-red/black

Circuit #44 is the flasher input-blue

Circuit #282 is the pass side rear brake/turn light-green

Circuit #283 is the driver's side rear brake/turn light-yellow

lakecityg 03-23-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10128584)
Using this drawing;

Circuit #2 is the front pass side blinker-white/blue

Circuit #3 is the front driver's side blinker-green/white

Circuit #810 is the brake switch input-red/black

Circuit #44 is the flasher input-blue

Circuit #282 is the pass side rear brake/turn light-green

Circuit #283 is the driver's side rear brake/turn light-yellow

Franklin, I really appreciate the info my man. But still can't get the damn thing to work. This is becoming a nightmare! The previous owner wired this thing and it seems to be right. If you have a second, can you PLEASE help me match up the wires? I know this may seem elementary to you but this thing is really kicking my behind! From their website this is how my column is setup:

Black - Horn Relay

Light Blue - Left Front Turn Signal>>>>>Circuit #3 is the front driver's side blinker-green/white

Royal Blue - Right Front Turn Signal>>>>Circuit #2 is the front pass side blinker-white/blue

Brown - Emergency Flasher Feed>>>>>>Circuit #?????? Seems that I do not even have a switch for this.

Purple - Turn Signal Feed>>>>>>>>>>>>Circuit #44 is the flasher input-blue

Yellow - Left Rear Turn Signal>>>>>>>>>Circuit #282 is the pass side rear brake/turn light-green

Green - Right Rear Turn Signal>>>>>>>>>Circuit #283 is the driver's side rear brake/turn light-yellow

White - Brake Light Feed>>>>>>>>>>>>>Circuit #810 is the brake switch input-red/black

Not sure about the emergency flasher and are the rest matched correctly? Do I splice into #810 to have it still go to both the switch and the lights?

Franklin2 03-23-2011 10:20 PM

#810 is the wire coming from the brake switch. It should have power when you press the brake pedal.

The emergency flasher feed is just like the turnsignal flasher feed(circuit 44). You will have power feeding one side of the flasher(hot with the key on for the turnsignal flasher, hot all the time for the emergency flasher). The other terminal of the flasher hooks to a wire that feeds the column switch.

Do you have a meter or testlight? What is it doing or not doing? Where do you have power?

lakecityg 03-24-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10131512)
#810 is the wire coming from the brake switch. It should have power when you press the brake pedal.

The emergency flasher feed is just like the turnsignal flasher feed(circuit 44). You will have power feeding one side of the flasher(hot with the key on for the turnsignal flasher, hot all the time for the emergency flasher). The other terminal of the flasher hooks to a wire that feeds the column switch.

Do you have a meter or testlight? What is it doing or not doing? Where do you have power?

yes I do have a meter I will put to use this evening. as of right now none of the lights come on except the headlights. I will try your wiring scheme and see what I get. should i begin by trying to test the turn signal feed wire? connect it from the truck(blue) to the column(purple) and see if I have voltage? 12 volts?

Franklin2 03-24-2011 11:56 AM

1st thing I would do is skip the column wiring for now. You said none of the lights work except the headlights. So none of the marker lights work front or rear? I would get these working first. The column wiring you can tackle next, since it's a little more complicated.

I would print this diagram out.

You may want to use a highliter pen to trace the circuit you are working on.

If you look in the middle right of the diagram, you will see a picture of the headlight switch labeled "Lighting switch". Coming out of that switch is circuit #11. This is the front marker light circuit wire(black/yellow stripe). You should have voltage on this wire with the headlight switch halfway out. This is a older truck, and a lot of them turned the front markers off when the headlights are turned on, so check this out. They will come on with the switch half-way out, and go out with the switch pulled fully out.

Also coming out of the headlight switch is wire #285(brown wire). This wire feeds the taillights and the license plate light. You should have power on this wire in any position the headlight switch is in except off. I would check this circuit out first, and get it working, so you have rear taillights.

lakecityg 03-24-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10133496)
1st thing I would do is skip the column wiring for now. You said none of the lights work except the headlights. So none of the marker lights work front or rear? I would get these working first. The column wiring you can tackle next, since it's a little more complicated.

I would print this diagram out.

You may want to use a highliter pen to trace the circuit you are working on.

If you look in the middle right of the diagram, you will see a picture of the headlight switch labeled "Lighting switch". Coming out of that switch is circuit #11. This is the front marker light circuit wire(black/yellow stripe). You should have voltage on this wire with the headlight switch halfway out. This is a older truck, and a lot of them turned the front markers off when the headlights are turned on, so check this out. They will come on with the switch half-way out, and go out with the switch pulled fully out.

Also coming out of the headlight switch is wire #285(brown wire). This wire feeds the taillights and the license plate light. You should have power on this wire in any position the headlight switch is in except off. I would check this circuit out first, and get it working, so you have rear taillights.

sounds like a good start. i will post results later this evening or tonight!

lakecityg 03-24-2011 08:04 PM

ok here is where I am. All lights are now at least coming on except for the rear flashers and reverse lights. What I did is tie a hot wire to the turn signal feed on both the column and the truck. then connected each light wire to the corresponding column wire. this gave me flashers but they come on and stay on, I cannot get them to blink. same thing for the emergency flasher. So is it that the wire from the truck that is supposed to be the signal feed is dead and I just need to find a different hot wire? and what do i need to do to make the lights blink. i tested the emergency flasher and it is good as well. just nothing flashes. next??

Franklin2 03-24-2011 09:13 PM

What I did is tie a hot wire to the turn signal feed on both the column and the truck. then connected each light wire to the corresponding column wire
If I am understanding this correctly, you tied a hot wire to the Purple wire on the column correct? And everything works except the lights do not flash. If this is the case, find your flasher, hopefully it's a two wire type. If not, go buy a electronic 2 wire flasher at the store. Take your hot wire off the purple, and hook it to one of the flasher terminals. Hook the purple wire from the column to the other flasher terminal. That should make the lights flash.

lakecityg 03-24-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10135661)
If I am understanding this correctly, you tied a hot wire to the Purple wire on the column correct? And everything works except the lights do not flash. If this is the case, find your flasher, hopefully it's a two wire type. If not, go buy a electronic 2 wire flasher at the store. Take your hot wire off the purple, and hook it to one of the flasher terminals. Hook the purple wire from the column to the other flasher terminal. That should make the lights flash.

yes sir. that is exactly what I did. I will change it out in the morning. Actually the one thing that I cannot get to work is the brake lights. I spliced the red wire with the black stripe into the white column wire. pushed the brake pedal and still got no lights. Could it be the switch itself? How can I test this?

Franklin2 03-24-2011 10:47 PM

With the turn signal switch in the center position, the white wire going into the column should be connected to the yellow and green wires coming out of the column.

You can put your meter on ohms rx1 and touch the meter leads together to make sure the meter is working. Then touch the white wire with one meter lead, and put the other meter lead on the yellow wire, and then the green wire. Both should give a reading just like touching the meter leads together with the switch in the center.

lakecityg 03-24-2011 10:53 PM

ok. that is my starting point tomorrow. thanks for your time so far. i'll update asap!

lakecityg 03-25-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by lakecityg (Post 10136038)
ok. that is my starting point tomorrow. thanks for your time so far. i'll update asap!

ok, still having problems making the brake lights work, and rear flashers. also I had the hazards flashing together and then they just stopped. I am really thinking that the damn steering column has a short in it. but back to the rear of the truck. as i said before they do come on but won't blink or get brighter when i hit the brakes. I have tried all sorts of types of things. can i just skip the factory wires and wire it myself? i really am at a loss because there are colors coming out of the dash that isn't even on the diagram. he had to have put some new wires in there and instead of just tracing them under the dash could i just run new stuff?