Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoBoost (all engine sizes) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum262/)
-   -   Eco Boost (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1052007-eco-boost.html)

Fordless 03-21-2011 10:33 PM

Eco Boost

I have read some of the threads on the Eco Boost engine. It seems to be well received, Is there anything that would lead anyone to think it would not last as long as my old 4.6 and 5.4? I have a 08' Saturn that is going to get traded in for a new F 150. The Saturn has an awesome engine but I have heard of timing chain issues at low mileage and other issues I don't want to deal with. I don't want another problem engine in my new truck.

tseekins 03-22-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fordless (Post 10122405)
I have read some of the threads on the Eco Boost engine. It seems to be well received, Is there anything that would lead anyone to think it would not last as long as my old 4.6 and 5.4? I have a 08' Saturn that is going to get traded in for a new F 150. The Saturn has an awesome engine but I have heard of timing chain issues at low mileage and other issues I don't want to deal with. I don't want another problem engine in my new truck.

The eco engines have not been around long enough to know how they will react under long term real world use. Proper routine maintenance will be key. Judging by Ford torture test, I'll sip the koolaide and assume that we have a winner in the stable.

Scorpion67 03-22-2011 10:17 AM

Hopefully on the EcoBoost, I will be able to actually replace my spark plugs.

Jr.Ranger-04 03-22-2011 12:05 PM

I am going to give it a year or 2 I am not going to jump in like I did in 04...

Eric Landstrom 03-22-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fordless (Post 10122405)

Ford Motor Company CEO, Alan R. Mulally, is on record with the claim that Ford is engineering everything to last 150,000 miles these days. I couldn't find the source, but as I recall Mulally stated this at the launch of the new 2011 Explorer in New York city to Mike Rowe.

Fordless 03-22-2011 04:12 PM

Thanks for the insight.
I was very disappointed with the problems That GM is having with the V6 I have. I do not want a lemon. I have always had a Ford of some sort all my adult life. This is the first GM and the last, not that it has given me any trouble......Yet.
We now have a camper and need something to tow it other than my 01' E250 service van. So I figure it is time to trade up. I am always leary of New models and engines. So I usually wait a year or two for them to get the bugs out. They may have got this one right out of the box?

tseekins 03-22-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fordless (Post 10125345)
Thanks for the insight.
I was very disappointed with the problems That GM is having with the V6 I have. I do not want a lemon. I have always had a Ford of some sort all my adult life. This is the first GM and the last, not that it has given me any trouble......Yet.
We now have a camper and need something to tow it other than my 01' E250 service van. So I figure it is time to trade up. I am always leary of New models and engines. So I usually wait a year or two for them to get the bugs out. They may have got this one right out of the box?

The ecoboost engine has been out for a couple of years in the Lincolns and Taurus. Already tried and true my friend. Go get ya one and drive the hell out of it! :-X06

Jr.Ranger-04 03-22-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fordless (Post 10125345)
Thanks for the insight.

The eco and the EPAS is totally un proven in 4x4 truck applications but I wish u the best of luck:-drink

Jr.Ranger-04 03-22-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom (Post 10124542)
Ford Motor Company CEO, Alan R. Mulally, is on record with the claim that Ford is engineering everything to last 150,000 miles these days. I couldn't find the source, but as I recall Mulally stated this at the launch of the new 2011 Explorer in New York city to Mike Rowe.

If he was so sure of his claim why doesn't he put a Kia type warranty on his products, talk is real cheap....

LxMan1 03-22-2011 08:14 PM

Heck, most 5.4L from the pre 04 era usually go well over 200K. With the extra load and heat from the turbo's and the load of an overweight truck, only time will tell.
As far as Ford and turbo motors are concerned, Most of the 87,88 Turbo Coupe T-Birds that I have come across have well over 200K on them and run just fine.

tseekins 03-22-2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jr.Ranger-04 (Post 10125770)
If he was so sure of his claim why doesn't he put a Kia type warranty on his products, talk is real cheap....

When I did my test drive, I asked the Ford rep about warranty coverage. He said that ford decided not to offer a longer warranty on the EB engines as they were afraid they would send a bad message about confidence n their own product.

While this is PR lip service, there is some merit to his statement.

NoMo 03-22-2011 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10126632)
When I did my test drive, I asked the Ford rep about warranty coverage. He said that ford decided not to offer a longer warranty on the EB engines as they were afraid they would send a bad message about confidence n their own product.

While this is <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> lip service, there is some merit to his statement.

I don't think there is any merit to the claim at all.

Ford could easily develop a positive marketing program if they just MATCHED the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty offered by GM and RAM. Just image the ad stating something like the newest, most powerful engines backed by the best warranty available (even though the warranty just matches the others, they can still claim 'best').

powerstroke72 03-23-2011 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by NoMo (Post 10127498)

Ford could easily develop a positive marketing program if they just MATCHED the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty offered by GM and RAM. Just image the ad stating something like the newest, most powerful engines backed by the best warranty available (even though the warranty just matches the others, they can still claim 'best').

Very good point and what I feel Ford should have done right from the start. Placing a warranty like that on four new engines just speaks volumes about their confidence in the product and is an excellent sales tool.

tseekins 03-23-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by NoMo (Post 10127498)

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 10127752)
Very good point and what I feel Ford should have done right from the start. Placing a warranty like that on four new engines just speaks volumes about their confidence in the product and is an excellent sales tool.

I've stated all along that I believe Ford's warranty program is antiquated and needs a complete overhaul to match those of other higher volume manufacturers. But, they need to take it a step further and not copy the ad campaign of GM and Chryco.

Toyota and Honda are two of the most respected name plates in the industry. Their warranties mirror Fords. Likewise, so does overall quality.

A 5 year / 100K mile limited power trainwarranty is nothing more than ink on paper for a guy like me who drives 12K-15K annually. My 2004 Expy has 81K on her. A 5/100K wouldn't have helped me a bit. I just spent a $1000 on it and got it back yesterday. Fuel pump failed and I had a fuel system flush / filter replacement.

I do agree that there are plenty of people out there who drive 20K + a year and would do well with such a warranty. But it's still all lip service. How many people who own gas engines really have serious power train related issues in the first 100K miles? I don't think GM and Chryco are very good examples for Ford to follow. Ford should blaze a new trail for others to follow.

powerstroke72 03-23-2011 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10127915)
I've stated all along that I believe Ford's warranty program is antiquated and needs a complete overhaul to match those of other higher volume manufacturers. But, they need to take it a step further and not copy the ad campaign of GM and Chryco.

Ford is much smarter than to mirror either of their warranty programs and would undoubtedly take it a step further.;)

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10127915)
How many people who own gas engines really have serious power train related issues in the first 100K miles?

Well, a whole lot of the 5.4 and 6.8 owners whose engines made a habit of spewing spark plugs come to mind. And, from the looks of some of the 6.2 problems posted in the 6.2L forum and elsewhere, they may have some issues as well.

Regardless though, introducing four new engines in a stellar truck lineup and having class leading warranty coverage sends a message to the consumer and competitors that you have the ultimate confidence in your product. Not only will you stand behind it, you also have confidence that it will not fail.

Of course, GM and Chrysler/Fiat probably feel like they have to compensate.:-X10