Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Check Engine light reset? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1049558-check-engine-light-reset.html)

nosebreaker 03-14-2011 11:13 AM

Check Engine light reset?

Is there some sort of reset to turn off the Check Engine light? I had replaced the TPS sensor, and after a day the engine seems to have stopped the high idle and returned to normal, and now it still has the check engine with the same error code, but the problem seems to be resolved. My previous post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ine-light.html

jh818 03-14-2011 11:31 AM

Most code readers has an earase button to reset or turn off the CEL.

ol'yeller 03-14-2011 11:44 AM

If you don't have a code reader, most parts houses will loan you one in their parking lot. It only takes a second to erase the codes and turn off the CEL as long as the problem(s) are fixed.

mwsF250 03-14-2011 11:51 AM

Most PCM software will self erase the code if the problem does not occur for a set number of operational cycles. Usually around 20 or 30. Not sure on these...

CodaMan 03-14-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ol'yeller (Post 10092088)
If you don't have a code reader, most parts houses will loan you one in their parking lot...

Unless you live in California, but you can purchase one on Amazon for around $25.

jh818 03-14-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by CodaMan (Post 10092317)
Unless you live in California, but you can purchase one on Amazon for around $25.

They'll lend one to you in CA. You'll need to put down a deposit for the full cost of one. You get your deposit back when you return it.

I would just go and get one. Get a ScangaugeII. It has other gauges thay the dashboard doesn't offer. Plus, you can use it on other vehicles as well as long as it has the sensors for it.

projectSHO89 03-14-2011 07:23 PM

Ya'all are making this way too hard!

The PCM's memory can be reset by either disconnecting the battery negative terminal or by removing the PCM's KAM fuse for 10 minutes if you don't want to reset your clock and radio settings.

mwsF250 03-15-2011 02:47 PM

That is correct in most cases - but it also erases your FI correction maps so your fuel economy will take a dip until it re-learns.

projectSHO89 03-15-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 10096813)
That is correct in most cases - but it also erases your FI correction maps so your fuel economy will take a dip until it re-learns.

Perhaps, but you are far better off starting from factory baseline programming after repairing a fault that has affected fuel trim and the resultant shifting parameters rather than trying to let the PCM re-learn and attempting to recover from skewed sensor data.

mwsF250 03-15-2011 05:35 PM

Good point. In the OP's case, he probably would be better off purging trims.

buckeyejake 10-25-2016 05:46 PM

Hi. I know it's been years since you posted to this thread, but I was wondering if you could help me. I recently tried clearing my codes by doing what you suggested, now my truck won't start. Actually, it won't even turn over. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

ligito 10-25-2016 05:55 PM

Tighten the ground cable.

mark224 10-26-2016 11:55 AM

Are dome lights dim, does the bells all sound when key is in. If no battery is loose. Removing the negative terminal is the way my mechanic told me to do it and has never failed. Check the terminal make sure it is clean and tight, if it is the slightest bit loose or dirty it will not make a good contact and won't turn over. Check your positive terminal also while you have the other apart clean and tighten.
Should start if everything is connected right . It will at least turn over.
If you do get it started the computer won't totally reset right away I was told to get it reset drive on the interstate 30 miles above the speed of 55 and it should be good for testing.

buckeyejake 10-28-2016 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mark224 (Post 16674372)
Check the terminal make sure it is clean and tight, if it is the slightest bit loose or dirty it will not make a good contact and won't turn over. Check your positive terminal also while you have the other apart clean and tighten.

Thanks mark224 and ligito for replying. To be thorough, I removed and cleaned all of the terminals and tightened securely. Still not turning over.

I get all of the normal bells, lights, fuel pump, etc. when turning the key to the 'On' position. When I turn to start, I hear a noise near the passenger side floor board. I'm wondering if it's something with the starter. Thoughts?

Chuck's First Ford 10-28-2016 10:55 AM

alarm system? factory or otherwise?