Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Boost leak detector - PICS! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1049557-boost-leak-detector-pics.html)

SkySkiJason 03-14-2011 11:05 AM

Boost leak detector - PICS!

2 Attachment(s)
This is sooooo cheap and simple I cannot believe I've not done it until now...

3" PVC cap tapped for a schrader valve:
Attachment 203026

You could get all fancy and tap a pressure gauge in there too - but its totally not necessary. The CCV, VC's, etc are gonna leak some and bleed the pressure down, so we just blow up the intake tubing until it looks uncomfortably inflated and start sprayin' soapy water and listening... :-innocent

Remove airbox (or in my case 6637) and clamp PVC in place, then blow compressed air in and spray all boots, etc with soapy water:
Attachment 203027

I'm willing to bet more people have leaks than think they do... Most of that 'dirty engine' syndrome can be mitigated by eliminating leaks found with this EASY test. :-X04

Thanks to Jim (rat49F6) for loaning me this tool and all the other help he's been to me since I've been in NJ!!! :-drink

BillyBob69 03-14-2011 12:02 PM

Great tip!
Reps given!

ScaldedDog 03-14-2011 04:19 PM

Dumb question, but where'd you get the Schrader valve?

Mark

Brother Les 03-14-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason (Post 10091987)
This is sooooo cheap and simple I cannot believe I've not done it until now...

3" PVC cap tapped for a schrader valve:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...f/IMAG1375.jpg

You could get all fancy and tap a pressure gauge in there too - but its totally not necessary. The CCV, VC's, etc are gonna leak some and bleed the pressure down, so we just blow up the intake tubing until it looks uncomfortably inflated and start sprayin' soapy water and listening... :-innocent

Remove airbox (or in my case 6637) and clamp PVC in place, then blow compressed air in and spray all boots, etc with soapy water:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...f/IMAG1377.jpg

I'm willing to bet more people have leaks than think they do... Most of that 'dirty engine' syndrome can be mitigated by eliminating leaks found with this EASY test. :-X04

Thanks to Jim (rat49F6) for loaning me this tool and all the other help he's been to me since I've been in NJ!!! :-drink

Keep your psi low or you will have 'leaks' everywhere :-hair

SkySkiJason 03-14-2011 04:34 PM

Good advice Les. Not sure how many psi I was putting in there, but guessing not more than 20-25... We just puffed up the intake tube a little and looked for leaks until it got soft again - then added more air (2-3 secs).

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any comments about the lovely hand model we used for this shoot! :-wow

Brother Les 03-14-2011 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason (Post 10093074)
Good advice Les. Not sure how many psi I was putting in there, but guessing not more than 20-25... We just puffed up the intake tube a little and looked for leaks until it got soft again - then added more air (2-3 secs).

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any comments about the lovely hand model we used for this shoot! :-wow

I have a regulator on my air compressor, so I would suggest cranking it down to 20psi. Boys will be boys with the mindset of 'a little will help a little... so... lets go for a lot and.... really muke it up:-innocent'

I need to make me one of those... I have the stuff laying around.

ron's power stroke 03-14-2011 04:48 PM

here is mine i made about 5 years ago...

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

here is a nice one for 30 bucks
Intake Pressure Tester

76'SuperCab 03-14-2011 06:47 PM

Went ahead and made one of these today (thanks for the easy directions) and I'm afraid to ask about the results - why would air be coming out of the dipstick? I only pressured it up to about 20 psi and couldn't find any other "leaks."

timmyboy76 03-14-2011 10:40 PM

cool...another tool to make.

76'SuperCab 03-14-2011 10:48 PM

Turns out I made the mistake of hooking it up to the CCV coupler just like this. I'll try again later with the detector hooked up to the correct boot.

rat49f6 03-14-2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog (Post 10093005)
Dumb question, but where'd you get the Schrader valve?

Mark

schrader valve came from my B.A. local Hardware store

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason (Post 10093074)

u would like those beat up hands

lets make a high class new tester like rons

Franko72 03-17-2011 07:04 AM

Thanks for the cool idea Jason, I think I'll fab one up while my chip is out for updates......It's too booring and slow to drive anyhow.:9

I tried to rep you brother, but.....:confused:

joegebff 03-17-2011 08:00 AM

I got him for ya....

jwhitetail 03-17-2011 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 76'SuperCab (Post 10093571)
Went ahead and made one of these today (thanks for the easy directions) and I'm afraid to ask about the results - why would air be coming out of the dipstick? I only pressured it up to about 20 psi and couldn't find any other "leaks."

I would say if you put enough pressure on it with the valves open it will bypass the piston ring's, the reason for CCV. Seems like if you wanted to check for leaks take the intercooler tube off at the cold side at the spider and plug with cap also.

SkySkiJason 03-17-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by jwhitetail (Post 10103866)
I would say if you put enough pressure on it with the valves open it will bypass the piston ring's, the reason for CCV. Seems like if you wanted to check for leaks take the intercooler tube off at the cold side at the spider and plug with cap also.

Not necessary... :confused: We don't need it to 'hold' pressure to check for leaks - just have some pressure in there so we see bubbles in our soapy solution. Anyway, the thing you are suggesting we disconnect is the most likely suspect for a leak... Besides, at least one intake valve is always open, right?

The intake tube goes directly into CCV - unlike gassers, there is no PCV - so air blown in the way I describe is pressurizing crankcase via valve cover. This would be a good reason to keep pressure low. You could plug CCV in intake tube and put as much pressure as ya wanted (until ya broke CAC) - but again, I think its totally unnecessary!

K.I.S.S. :-drink

and not needed, but thanks anyway Joe!!!!