Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   speedometer calibration (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1048699-speedometer-calibration.html)

quesey 03-11-2011 09:21 AM

speedometer calibration

hello i dont get over here much as the ranger just don't give many problem's.but my speedometer is off and i was wondering if theres a way to calibrate it.it's a 95 ranger with a 5 speed and it has the sensor on the rearend so i don't think i can just change the gear in the trans.
thanks john

ranger pat 03-11-2011 12:37 PM

I think the answer is you have to take it to a dealer or somewhere to have the computer reflashed. I take it the you do not have the stock rear and or tires anymore?

tomw 03-11-2011 02:05 PM

If the speedometer is electronic, you have a limited number of 're-programmings' that you can do before you have to buy a new head. There is a process to change the embedded ratio and tire size 'factor' [I think...] but I don't know it.
Did you search here and on the web?
tom

quesey 03-11-2011 06:08 PM

still has stock size tires and gears.3.73 i beleave and i looked online and here first.i know theres a way on my 96 f350 but not sure how to on it.
thanks for the helps guys.i'll do some more searching around

greenpus 03-12-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quesey (Post 10081368)
hello i dont get over here much as the ranger just don't give many problem's.but my speedometer is off and i was wondering if theres a way to calibrate it.it's a 95 ranger with a 5 speed and it has the sensor on the rearend so i don't think i can just change the gear in the trans.
thanks john

how far off is it? Is it off throughout the entire speed range or just when you get about 40ish? I know some people remove the cover on the speedo and pull the needle and put it on wrong which may throw off the accuracy for the entire range of speed.
If it's off by a little, I'd put up with it or take it to the dealer and ask them to recalibrate the computer for the speed. It's strange you still have the same tire size and it's off. Other option is to buy a TruSpeed from SuperLift. It's a module you install and it fixes the speedo from being off.

dbak 09-22-2013 04:07 PM

i replaced my odometer gear and did not realize that it through my speedometer off and need to know how to recalibrate dbak

reddog99 09-23-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by quesey (Post 10081368)
thanks john

I think that the sensor in the rear end is just for the ABS system.

tomw 09-24-2013 10:21 AM

dbak, read my post. If you do NOT have a speedometer cable from the tailhousing of the transmission, it uses a speed sensor, likely mounted on the differential housing. In that case, the speedo assembly itself can be electronically 'adjusted' to compensate for changes in ratios & wheel size, etc. As I noted there is a limited number of re-calibrations that are possible, and you may or may not be able to compensate for what ever changes you've made.
I am pretty sure the dealers are the only ones that can do the procedure, as they can also set the odometer reading when they have to replace a faulty unit. If it were simple, then all used cars would have low mileage, so it is kept proprietary.
tom

dbak 09-24-2013 08:19 PM

ranger speedo recalibration

thanks for your input Tom, buti just cant afford a dealer especially one this old and i am dumb enough to enjoy fixing it myself

dbak 11-02-2013 08:38 AM

speedo recalibration

thanks guys' i think i got it working correctly