Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047636-next-generation-f-150-what-would-you-like-to-see.html)

640 CI Aluminum FORD 08-22-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by dilas (Post 10726906)
Telescoping wheel would be sweet especially for over six footer drivers like myself. Not sure if it's available on any trims in 09-current generation.
:-X04

It is avaliable. My 2011 FX4 has a Telescoping steering wheel.

tseekins 08-23-2011 06:19 AM

Perhaps we should replace the word "bigger" with Heavier. These new trucks are maybe an inc wider and taller than their previous siblings but considerably heavier.

My '88 F150 4x4 weighed approx 3900 lbs while my '11 weighs about 5600. Had my old one been an Scab like my new one, it may have weighed 4500 lbs. But, my new one is still more capable and gets better MPG's than my old one ever dreamed of.

shortride 08-23-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10727425)
Perhaps we should replace the word "bigger" with Heavier. These new trucks are maybe an inc wider and taller than their previous siblings but considerably heavier.

The cab on a 2009-'11 SuperCrews are 7 to 8 inches longer than the 2004-'08 model F150's.

tseekins 08-23-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by shortride (Post 10727440)
The cab on a 2009-'11 are 7 to 8 inches longer than the 2004-'08 model F150's.

Longer yes, but how much shorter is the front clip? It may be an illusion but the front clip on the '08 gen trucks seems longer than on the '09 gen truck.

The reg cab and Scab models remained the same as the '08 gen trucks.

shortride 08-23-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10727749)
Longer yes, but how much shorter is the front clip? It may be an illusion but the front clip on the '08 gen trucks seems longer than on the '09 gen truck.

The reg cab and Scab models remained the same as the '08 gen trucks.

You are correct. I should have clarified that I was only referring to the SuperCrew cabs being longer.

I don't know this for sure but I would imagine the front clips are the same. Everything in the engine compartments are the same and probably require the same amount of space. The only thing I can think of that could possibly affect the length of the front clip is the fact that the newest generation have electric fans and may not need the extra space that a belt driven fan might need. They will try to cut weight were ever possible. If Ford made the front clip shorter it would have require all new tooling.

dilas 08-23-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 10726980)
It is avaliable. My 2011 FX4 has a Telescoping steering wheel.

Nice.... I have a telescoping wheel on my Altima, found this much more comfortable to drive and handle while being seated way back of the driver's seat.
Wished that my 07 Lariat had it, that was the only gripe I had when purchasing it back in June.

Finding this odd, my very first vehicle, 1969 Olds 98 had the telescoping wheel. It hasn't even made this standard on most vehicles while the power windows/locks are almost standard on all nowdays.

640 CI Aluminum FORD 08-25-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10727425)

My '88 F150 4x4 weighed approx 3900 lbs while my '11 weighs about 5600. Had my old one been an Scab like my new one, it may have weighed 4500 lbs. But, my new one is still more capable and gets better MPG's than my old one ever dreamed of.

I'm sure you already know Tim. But the main reason for the weight gain in the 2004+ model years was because Ford added a heavier higher strength frame to the new trucks mainly for safety reasons was my understanding. But if you take a look at the offset crash test ratings for a 2000 F-150 and compare them to the offset crash test ratings of a 2004+ F-150 its no contest. Though the 2004-2008 models might get a mpg or two less than a comparably sized 2000 model F-150, they make up for it in safety, towing stability and ride comfort.

I think the weight gain can be fought by cutting out alot of gizmo's and electronics trucks come standard with these days. Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Seats, Power everything basically. It all adds to the curb weight and none of it is necessary...Its all strictly for convince. I too had an old Ford, a 1990 F-150 2WD Extended cab...Never knew excatly what its curb weight was I always guessd around 4,000lbs or so. My 2011 FX4 Extended Cab weighs about the same as you're truck 5600lbs. And I'm getting on avarage about 5mpg better in my 2011 than I ever got outta my 1990. It really goes to show how far we have come in engine/transmission technology.

tseekins 08-25-2011 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 10735299)
I'm sure you already know Tim. But the main reason for the weight gain in the 2004+ model years was because Ford added a heavier higher strength frame to the new trucks mainly for safety reasons was my understanding. But if you take a look at the offset crash test ratings for a 2000 F-150 and compare them to the offset crash test ratings of a 2004+ F-150 its no contest. Though the 2004-2008 models might get a mpg or two less than a comparably sized 2000 model F-150, they make up for it in safety, towing stability and ride comfort.

I think the weight gain can be fought by cutting out alot of gizmo's and electronics trucks come standard with these days. Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Seats, Power everything basically. It all adds to the curb weight and none of it is necessary...Its all strictly for convince. I too had an old Ford, a 1990 F-150 2WD Extended cab...Never knew excatly what its curb weight was I always guessd around 4,000lbs or so. My 2011 FX4 Extended Cab weighs about the same as you're truck 5600lbs. And I'm getting on avarage about 5mpg better in my 2011 than I ever got outta my 1990. It really goes to show how far we have come in engine/transmission technology.

Understood and I agree bro. I was making a comment regarding the use of size versus weight. For the exception of the Screw, these trucks are no bigger or marginally bigger than previous gen trucks but substantially heaver for the reasons you stated above.

The beds are a tad bit deeper and the roof lines are a little higher to accommodate the air canopy. I wouldn't trade these safety features for anything at this stage in my life.

It's just that over and over again people post about these rolling behemoths and they're really not that much larger in size than the previous gen trucks. Anyway, I'm not ranting just sayin'.

Jason Lewis 08-25-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10735488)
Understood and I agree bro. I was making a comment regarding the use of size versus weight. For the exception of the Screw, these trucks are no bigger or marginally bigger than previous gen trucks but substantially heaver for the reasons you stated above.

The beds are a tad bit deeper and the roof lines are a little higher to accommodate the air canopy. I wouldn't trade these safety features for anything at this stage in my life.

It's just that over and over again people post about these rolling behemoths and they're really not that much larger in size than the previous gen trucks. Anyway, I'm not ranting just sayin'.

To heavy curb weight, my 96 F-1 rolls at 3,800 full size V8 auto and its a strong truck, how heavy do these trucks need to be? new supercrews over 5K lbs when will auto makers reallise, you have these modern engines that are fuel efficient but are not because the weight of the truck is to heavy, the new ecoboost truck gets 22 HWY, thats nothing the old 7.3 got mid 20's !

Gary Atsma 08-25-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Lewis (Post 10736176)
thats nothing the old 7.3 got mid 20's !

Maybe on a 6% downgrade w/a tailwind. It's pretty well known that, despite the problems w/ the 6.0, it does get pretty good mileage, BETTER than the vaunted 7.3. My 6.0 gets about as good of fuel mileage as any of them, about 20mpg @ 70mph. I know a LOT of guys w/ 7.3's, and none of them, or any that they know of, ever gets over about 17-18mpg under the same conditions. Warn us before your next post so we can put our waders on.....
Oh, and you might learn a little spelling before then, too.....

Jason Lewis 08-25-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Atsma (Post 10738413)
Maybe on a 6% downgrade w/a tailwind. It's pretty well known that, despite the problems w/ the 6.0, it does get pretty good mileage, BETTER than the vaunted 7.3. My 6.0 gets about as good of fuel mileage as any of them, about 20mpg @ 70mph. I know a LOT of guys w/ 7.3's, and none of them, or any that they know of, ever gets over about 17-18mpg under the same conditions. Warn us before your next post so we can put our waders on.....
Oh, and you might learn a little spelling before then, too.....

What did i miss spell? I am amazed your 6.0 is still working and has not blown up yet, My point was new trucks are to heavy nowadays and ford praising the ecoboost getting 22 on the hwy is just funny, put a new ecoboost in my 3,800 lb 96 f-150 truck and i would get upper 20's easy. These new trucks need to go on a diet ! :-roll

Gary Atsma 08-25-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Lewis (Post 10738507)
What did i miss spell?

I rest my case.... And I too am amazed my 6.0 is doing as well as it is, though I spent 3G's last year on a new ICP module and high pressure oil pump, plus this year it needed a new EGR valve. Don't worry, I'm seriously considering trading it off in a few months.:-roll

Jason Lewis 08-25-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Atsma (Post 10738659)
I rest my case.... And I too am amazed my 6.0 is doing as well as it is, though I spent 3G's last year on a new ICP module and high pressure oil pump, plus this year it needed a new EGR valve. Don't worry, I'm seriously considering trading it off in a few months.:-roll

Damn i missed that one, lol

tseekins 08-26-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Lewis (Post 10736176)
To heavy curb weight, my 96 F-1 rolls at 3,800 full size V8 auto and its a strong truck, how heavy do these trucks need to be? new supercrews over 5K lbs when will auto makers reallise, you have these modern engines that are fuel efficient but are not because the weight of the truck is to heavy, the new ecoboost truck gets 22 HWY, thats nothing the old 7.3 got mid 20's !

I've made this identical point a number of times since I've been a member here. And I still agree. The new engine technology on a lighter truck would make for some very capable and economical machines.

But, the 7.3 is no longer with us thanks to the G and epa. With the ecoboost, people have to realize that not everyone needs a 3.73 axle to have a capable truck. In the new diesel SD's, the 3.73 is not common at all.

MCDavis 08-26-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10739611)
In the new diesel SD's, the 3.73 is not common at all.

3.31 and 3.55 are the available SRW diesel engine gearing options. Have to step up to DRW to get anything beyond 3.55