Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   detach speedo cable from dash speedometer? HOW?! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047628-detach-speedo-cable-from-dash-speedometer-how.html)

weaver79 03-07-2011 10:44 PM

detach speedo cable from dash speedometer? HOW?!

Does anyone/has anyone detached there speedo cable from the speedometer in the dash.
Im really confused on how to do this, I just spent an ungodly amount of time trying to figure it out and im really stumped and pissed! with no success!!!

My dash lights are wearing me out and I really need to figure out why they dont like to stay lit, but I cant see behind there to actually get a good look. Plus im trying to get my truck taken apart as much as I can before I get it painted.

Any insight would be greatly honored!!!!

Nathan

sleepy_fella 03-08-2011 01:37 AM

There's a white clip on your speedo cable behind your dash that you have to lift up, then the speedo cable pulls out. I spent the same ungodly amount of time before I figured it out. Once you do its quite simple.

Zip 03-08-2011 01:26 PM

On the speedo there is an indent that the white clip clips onto. I push the white clip over to one side and kind of wiggle it. It's kind of hard to explain.

Does that make sense?

ShamelessMT 03-08-2011 03:35 PM

Video from user bucks77ford:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h_MVI_0454.jpg

Witty73 03-09-2011 10:09 AM

I have also found that cussing seems to help.

seventysevenF150 03-09-2011 10:18 AM

No need to offend anyone but, if you need a video to show you how to do this, you shouldn't be touching a vehicle. All of my experience has come from <just doing it> as we did not have the internet when I grew up.

Witty73 03-09-2011 08:47 PM

I didnt have the internet growing up either, thankfully I know a good thing when I see it. The internet and ultimately the videos posted by gracious and helpful individuals such as Bucks are simply another tool in a modern day toolbox. growing up I learned alot watching and helping my dad. Think of the internet as another dad for alot of younger or inexperienced enthusiasts.

PS..he's the one who taught me to cuss at the speedometer cable.

fmc400 03-09-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by seventysevenF150 (Post 10072343)
No need to offend anyone but, if you need a video to show you how to do this, you shouldn't be touching a vehicle. All of my experience has come from <JUST it doing>as we did not have the internet when I grew up.

I disagree. If this were something that was right in front of you and you're looking at it, then yes, you should be able to figure it out on your own. But since it's behind the dash, there is little room for your hands, and you have to go by feel, I think it helps to see it done once in plenty of light, so you can put a picture with what you're touching.

bucks77ford 03-09-2011 10:32 PM

Some of these speedo cables can be a PITA and even though you think you are doing it right, they can be stuck and not come loose. If you have never messed with these speedo cables before than they can be tricky. It's crazy, but I've seen many trucks in junkyards with the white clips broke. So, many people either don't know how to get the cable off or it would come off. What's wrong with doing a little research before Diving in. Granted I've learned many things since joining forums like this and before I started my build, I didn't know anything about these trucks.

Zip 03-09-2011 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Witty73 (Post 10075061)
I didnt have the internet growing up either, thankfully I know a good thing when I see it. The internet and ultimately the videos posted by gracious and helpful individuals such as Bucks are simply another tool in a modern day toolbox. growing up I learned alot watching and helping my dad. Think of the internet as another dad for alot of younger or inexperienced enthusiasts.

PS..he's the one who taught me to cuss at the speedometer cable.

I taught myself how to cuss at the speedometer cable and it only took a few short minutes. That part is a lot easier than getting the cable off sometimes.

seventysevenF150 03-10-2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by fmc400 (Post 10075227)
I disagree. If this were something that was right in front of you and you're looking at it, then yes, you should be able to figure it out on your own. But since it's behind the dash, there is little room for your hands, and you have to go by feel, I think it helps to see it done once in plenty of light, so you can put a picture with what you're touching.

I somewhat disagree with myself as well. I'm just saying that figuring out the odd thing here and there for ourselves is good for the mind, body, and soul. This is just me but, I don't think I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had to watch a video on how to remove a speedo cable. Dad wouldn't be proud. And by the way, no you can't see the connection, but all it takes is a little mirror under the dash and ,there it is. It seemed to me that the first couple of posts were enough info him to get it apart, the video was a little overkill, almost an "In case your stupid" answer.

SteveJH 09-11-2011 10:11 AM

"no need to offend" indeed

I will not call anyone names on this forum or I will possibly be banned.

Stinky7-11 09-11-2011 11:33 AM

You might want to remove cable from trans and pull a little slack up to the dash this will take a little more time and you will be able to put your eyes on it. you will get it.

I don't get it, some of you forget why we come to these forums! HELP! Funny non supporters are biggest offenders.

weez440 09-11-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by seventysevenF150 (Post 10075860)
I somewhat disagree with myself as well. I'm just saying that figuring out the odd thing here and there for ourselves is good for the mind, body, and soul. This is just me but, I don't think I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had to watch a video on how to remove a speedo cable. Dad wouldn't be proud. And by the way, no you can't see the connection, but all it takes is a little mirror under the dash and ,there it is. It seemed to me that the first couple of posts were enough info him to get it apart, the video was a little overkill, almost an "In case your stupid" answer.

so you wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing you watched a video that saved you time and alot of cussing to get something apart? i like many people swore at that damn cable but not everyone is a mechanical wizz as you apparently proclaim yourself to be. give the guy some slack and if you have stupid insensitive comments maybe you should keep them to yourself.

LxMan1 09-12-2011 05:44 PM

Yep, the internet is a great tool and not everybody is the perfect mechanic. If they were, there would be no auto shops, because everyone would fix their own vehicles.