Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   New PCM Recal. 11B23 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047380-new-pcm-recal-11b23.html)

gernest2 08-16-2011 07:20 PM

I just scheduled my truck for this reflash... Does anyone know if it having a edge juice with attitude is gonna cause an issue with the dealer?

senix 08-16-2011 07:30 PM

We don't know your dealer so we cannot answer that. It probably should be removed so it does not interfear with the dealer gaining access to the pcm for the reflash.

If your edge downloads its own programming then you will need to have it back to stock...to include the dpf.

ljutic ss 08-16-2011 07:33 PM

I have heard stories of dealers notifying Ford and having the remaining warranty voided because of aftermarket goodies.

gernest2 08-16-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 10703538)
I have heard stories of dealers notifying Ford and having the remaining warranty voided because of aftermarket goodies.

I only have about 400 miles left on the warranty anyway so not worried about that, but thanks

smotrs 08-17-2011 09:36 AM

Still best to revert to stock, if your Edge tune conflicts with their flash, you'll have to pay labor to correct the issue.

Big_E68 08-23-2011 07:48 PM

I brought my truck to the dealer with a overheating problem only to get the "no code, nothing we can do" story. But the new PCM flash was needed so they did that. Ran the truck for about 20 miles when wrench came on. Now the dealer has it and is talking with the Ford engineer. They still can't find the problem, but now the wrench keeps coming on so they know it's something other than me. So it looks like the upgrade is doing its job, now if the techs can just do their's and fix my truck (I'm in the middle of my third week).

So those of you worried about the upgrade, all I can say is that the computer is now picking up that somthing is wrong, which it didn't before.

Raz Berrie 09-03-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by caprang (Post 10065422)
Very interesting. I wonder if anything else will change with the new programming. I recall some older flashes showed the "cleaning exhaust filter" message while others dont. It will be interesting to see the feedback from those getting this done early.

I had a termostat changed in M.S.
They flashed the computer without notifying me.
On my way back home to S.C.
I noticed that the "Cleaning Exaust Sytem" Hasn't appeared in over 400 miles. The followigng Monday I drove to N.C. Still no CES message.
I stoped to a ford Dealer in NC and told him of my problem.
He looked on his PC and told me they had flashed it, and it may need to be reflash. Set up an appointment for the following Wednesday.
Well low and behold, on Tuesday I saw a message "Drive to Clean Exhaust" First thing I did was to jump on the HYW till it was completed.
Since then I kept an eye on the dash and the message "Cleaning Exhaust Sytem" would apear for a second ot two. Then I would feel it kick in.
To my understanding. The 6.4 may stall if it doesn't clean the exhaust.
I have a F450 Altec Bucket truck,with a 40 foot bucket . With a PTO "Pump" to the transmission to control the bucket. When I engage it, the engine revs up to 1300Rpm, and the engine idles like this sometime for half hour or more.:(

ray888fl 09-06-2011 09:37 AM

reprogram

On Friday I had the dealer reprogram the PCM in my 2008 F-350 as instructed by the letter I received. I just about made it home when the Drain Fuel Sep message came on. I drained it and restarted the truck. The same message came on but now the wrench was on. I attempted to drive to work but now the truck was in the limp mode. 2500 rpm 40 MPH - had to let up between shifts to get it to 65. Had to drive back 45 miles to dealer to have them check it out. They came back and said it needed all the fuel filters changed and the bottom of the fuel filter cleaned out. They said it also needed two batteries. Now keep in mind the old programing said everything was fine and with the new program now two systems failed. Ford "Raised" the bar for the sensors with this new program and now systems will show errors sooner. I could have replaced the batteries and fuel filters myself but had no way of erasing the codes. And I did not know if they would reset themselves. With it being the Labor Day Weekend and me needing to get to a Car Show and swap meet on Sunday (with my 10,000 lb trailer) they had me over a barrel...
End result, the FREE computer upgrade cost me $419.00... Not Happy
To top it off the service writer tells me "You'll get a survey to fill out, I know you had some problems but could you fill out that everything was fine. If you don't they'll take $200 out of my pay. If you say everything is fine I'll get $100" Thanks for using Brandon Ford...

AlbyVA 02-10-2012 08:59 AM

I have gotten this Recall 11B23 notice from the dealer I bought my truck from
and I'm wondering how important is getting this update completed?

I only ask, because I just don't have the time to drop of my truck, while at the
same time spend $50 for a rental vehicle.

Thanks,

smotrs 02-10-2012 09:10 AM

It's pretty important. It updates all the early detection parameters to prevent issues down the road as well as various other adjustments. It has also been reported on the letter that if there is any issue that could have been prevented by the flash, you could be denied the warranty repair.

If you have a good rapport with your dealer, I would hit them up for the rental.

senix 02-10-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by AlbyVA (Post 11412054)
I have gotten this Recall 11B23 notice from the dealer I bought my truck from
and I'm wondering how important is getting this update completed?

I only ask, because I just don't have the time to drop of my truck, while at the
same time spend $50 for a rental vehicle.

Thanks,

Flash is fairly quick. They could do it while you wait if you schedule in advance.

Keep in mind the expiration date of the free flash. Some dealers now have evening or Saturday hours so maybe that would work?

AlbyVA 02-10-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 11412115)
Flash is fairly quick. They could do it while you wait if you schedule in advance.

Keep in mind the expiration date of the free flash. Some dealers now have evening or Saturday hours so maybe that would work?

Thanks.. Since its quick, I'll check with the dealer if they can pencil me in for a
Saturday pop in/pop out session.

smotrs 02-10-2012 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by AlbyVA (Post 11412286)
Thanks.. Since its quick, I'll check with the dealer if they can pencil me in for a
Saturday pop in/pop out session.

If your tuned in any way, you will want to revert to stock before they flash. Otherwise it could cause issues with your tuner later.

Mixer man 12-31-2017 08:04 PM

I had the PCM flash update two years ago, and can state honestly that the high oil level alert doesn't work. Maybe the oil has to be coming out of the dipstick?

Picton 12-31-2017 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mixer man (Post 17692462)
I had the PCM flash update two years ago, and can state honestly that the high oil level alert doesn't work. Maybe the oil has to be coming out of the dipstick?

Probably so...lol. Thanks for the confirmation there.