Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arkansas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum175/)
-   -   March Chat / All Topic Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1045539-march-chat-all-topic-thread.html)

tojoski 03-01-2011 10:16 PM

March Chat / All Topic Thread

Hey its March already.. it's starting to warm up again and all those long-lost projects are calling..

I've got a set of leaky up-pipes that I need to take care of before camping season gets here..just not looking forward to laying on top of that motor for a day...

scottzj 03-02-2011 05:29 AM

Good morning Ark!
Rise and shine and coffee is brewin'
Hump day is upon us so have a great day! :)

mechmagcn 03-02-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by tojoski (Post 10038396)
before camping season gets here...

Almost here, our teardrop camping group kicks off the camping season 3/25 at Beavers Bend in OK. I have several trips planned this year, so gonna be busy. :-innocent

Old_Crow 03-03-2011 04:54 AM

You guys might like this:

YouTube - Kirkham Motorsports University CNC Billet Aluminum 427 FE Engine Block 1 of 3

scottzj 03-03-2011 05:29 AM

Good Morning to my Ark peps!
Have a wonderful day! :):)

zhilton 03-03-2011 11:09 AM

Scooter weather is coming too!Oo. After spending the grand sum of 36 months "living" out of the camper at work...I'm not to hip to the idea of going camping right now. But I did pay good money for it...and I do have the Pavement Princess to take it down the road; waste of money for both of 'em to just sit there. Though watching fuel up 70 cents since Christmas....:-X09:-banghead:-X09 It's gotten to the point (since the snow slowed things down at work) that I've had to park the Princess for a little while. Driving the wife's Exploder is ok...but rather underpowered with that 4.0L under the hood. Maybe it's time to start my own home bio-brew.:-innocent

No one has mention this...but I'm sure Joe, you & Jeff (cookie) must have felt that earthquake last week. My sister in Cabot said she felt it, but wasn't too worried. There are folks in FSM/VB claiming they felt it...but I have my doubts. At 130-ish miles and only a 4.3 jello shaker...I think they're full of rose food. I know I didn't feel it, but that thunder-boomer (same night) just barely woke me up...and I think it was the kids climbing into our bed that actually woke me up and not the storm. Something about up for 24 plus hours without sleep....

mechmagcn 03-03-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by zhilton (Post 10045444)
Scooter weather is coming too!Oo. .

Yep, I was considering riding mine Sat to the GTG, but low 60s and a 60% chance of rain has nixed those plans :'(
Hey Wally, have you ever changed an inner primary bearing? Mine is roaring and I'm sure that's where it's coming from, noise stops when the trans is put into gear. Have all of the parts needed, just making the time x(

zhilton 03-03-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mechmagcn (Post 10045533)
Hey Wally, have you ever changed an inner primary bearing? Mine is roaring and I'm sure that's where it's coming from, noise stops when the trans is put into gear. Have all of the parts needed, just making the time x(

Speaking of spinning wrenches on the scooters....does anyone recomend a method (scooter lift/front tire clamp) for hold a scooter up so that you can change the Earl? Mine is due, and I really need to do it. The problem is I don't have a good way to hold it up straight to drain the case. Well other than paying the 10 year to old the bike and work quickly before he tires out. The problem is, I'll have to add something extra to his allowance (or so he thinks)...at which point it's the same to have Suzuki do the work. And the odd-ball amount (3.2 qt I think) is another thing that pretty much demands that the bike is up right so I can see the earl in the site glass. The Harbor Freight in town has one or two lifts...but they're from China and I don't think they're rated high enough to support it. Through with a Jap' bike on a China lift...I guess it could work out.:-X21

tojoski 03-03-2011 12:47 PM

I felt the quake, although it was more of a gentle shake than a quake.. I actually thought I was having a muscle spasm in my leg until I looked at the news later..

mechmagcn 03-03-2011 06:07 PM

Zack, here's the lift I bought from Summit Racing, and it's on sale right now! Clarke Power Products GE2040 - Clarke Hydraulic Motorcycle Lifts - Overview - SummitRacing.com Holds my Softail just fine.
This one from harbour freight looks to be the same lift, just different color http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...lift-2792.html

Old_Crow 03-03-2011 08:59 PM

My lift is basically the same as both of those, but it carries the AC Delco brand name and came from O'Reilly's on sale for like $50. Holds the 800lb baggers just fine, except I have to put a jack under one wheel if I pull the other one. I also have a stand that I can raise the bike all the way to the top of the jack, roll the stand under it and lower the bike onto the stand. That way I can have a long term project and still have the jack free to change a tire on another bike. Hey, 3 Harley's, I *always* have a long term project.

Jeff, yeah, I've changed all that primary side stuff. If your bike has the separate race for that inner primary bearing that presses on the tranny input shaft, there's a replacement one piece bearing that the people on the Harley Tech group highly reccommend. My wife's Superglide is down for tranny work right now and when it goes back together it's getting the upgrade.
All that's pretty simple, get a factory manual off Ebay and look for the factory parts book too. The exploded views sometimes help you figure out what goes where. Also never hurts to have the part number when you walk into the shop looking for parts.

I have the special socket for the sprocket nut if you ever need to borrow it. It's a homemade one, but it works just fine. Also, the clutch hub nut is left handed thread!

mechmagcn 03-03-2011 10:13 PM

Thanks Wally, I've got the update bearing and the seal kit, just have to make time to get it installed. Thinking of ordering a clutch set to put in while I'm in there.
I'm not too fond of the drag bars on my bike so I picked up a set of Road King bars and also some narrow buckhorns. Need to try these out to see which I will prefer. I think my clutch cable is long enough for either, but the throttle cables will have to be replaced for the road king bars.
Gotta get all of this done soon, it's time to be riding, not wrenching.

scottzj 03-04-2011 05:30 AM

Good morning Ark!
The weekend is almost here!
have a great day! :)

Old_Crow 03-04-2011 06:05 AM

No words in the English language have ever cost a man more money than, "While I was in there...".

Cars, bikes, trucks, it's all the same.

mechmagcn 03-04-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 10049191)
No words in the English language have ever cost a man more money than, "While I was in there...".

Cars, bikes, trucks, it's all the same.

Yep:-X14:-X14:-X14