Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Worth Restoring 1986 F150 Halfton? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1043429-worth-restoring-1986-f150-halfton.html)

Dichune 02-23-2011 07:11 PM

Worth Restoring 1986 F150 Halfton?

So I'm 19 years old and this is my first vehicle I have a full time job and Would really like to make this truck look nice because currently it looks like a junker (was originally my dads).

So I'm wondering is it really worth putting money into it because it has around 215k on it and there are quite a few rust spots (Nothing major other than bottom of driver side fender) and quite a few dents. My dad says it's not worth it in the end but I've seen some peoples ones on the internet and they look amazing. Also would like to mention that it is only 2WD.

Any thoughts on if I should put the money into making this a sick truck or just save to buy a new one.

(Will post pictures if people want to see it.)

glovemeister 02-23-2011 07:22 PM

Meh I wouldn't 2wd isn't worth it. But if you decide to convert it to 4wd and lift it, than I would say go for it. I'm 19 myself and restoring a pickup. Going to be orange and black with a black flatbed and winch bumper and enough hid kcs to replicate the moon haha.

Dichune 02-23-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by glovemeister (Post 10009582)
Meh I wouldn't 2wd isn't worth it. But if you decide to convert it to 4wd and lift it, than I would say go for it. I'm 19 myself and restoring a pickup. Going to be orange and black with a black flatbed and winch bumper and enough hid kcs to replicate the moon haha.

yeah that's what I thought. my dad tells me to just save for a new truck that is 4WD and then go on from there.

glovemeister 02-23-2011 07:31 PM

You can convert this one for way way cheaper than a newer pickup and your truck will be alot better. You will also appreciate the work more and understand what your trucks all about.

Onus 02-23-2011 07:49 PM

I'm putting a 83' f250 2wd back on the road. 2wd f250's are rare tho.

bashby 02-23-2011 07:50 PM

What are your intended uses for the truck? It will cost a lot of money and a lot of your time to make it a "sick truck". Do you have tools, a place to work on it, the mech ability and knowledge to do this? If not do you want this truck enough to obtain these things? Or do you just want to have a reliable old truck? If its going to be your only vehicle dont forget to factor in poor fuel economy.

Dichune 02-23-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bashby (Post 10009722)
What are your intended uses for the truck? It will cost a lot of money and a lot of your time to make it a "sick truck". Do you have tools, a place to work on it, the mech ability and knowledge to do this? If not do you want this truck enough to obtain these things? Or do you just want to have a reliable old truck? If its going to be your only vehicle dont forget to factor in poor fuel economy.

I just want it as a daily driver something to be proud of and that turns heads.

bashby 02-23-2011 08:16 PM

Gonna take some $$ to have a head turner no matter if you buy something new or restore something old. Personally, (this may piss some people off) If I were going to restore or hot rod a vehicle, it wouldnt be one of these trucks. There's no chance of return on investment. If you have some personal atachment to it then that's different just depends on what you want.

ctubutis 02-23-2011 08:17 PM

I wouldn't recommend one of these things as a DD as the gas mileage tends to be
sub-optimal.

I got my truck initially as just a method of bringing firewood from the mountains down to my
house near Denver but it's turned into a project for me because I enjoy it, it gets me away
from hi-tech and computers (where I spend my working days).

If you've got a desire to learn auto mechanics and take pride in work you do then I think it'd
be a great opportunity for ya but restoring it isn't going to happen fast nor will there be no
cost.

Dichune 02-23-2011 08:24 PM

I guess what I'm trying to get at is it worth taking all the dents out and getting rid of all the rust and getting a paint job.

displacement4me 02-23-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by glovemeister (Post 10009582)

Let me finish my project and see if you have a different view on 2wd's - I'm almost 21 btw.

I like this body style, but a super cab long box doesn't exactly scream 'sport', but my dad was the second owner and its been in our family forever. I couldn't let it go to rot. Mine will be a DD, except for winter 8D

It may not make the ideal truck in regards to greatest looking, costs with fuel or lack of interchangeability and after market support like a Chevy/GMC from the same era, but what does it mean to you. Plus, how many of these trucks do you actually see on the road freshened up?

kedwinh 02-23-2011 08:38 PM

I guess it all comes down to what YOU want. I have an 86 F150 shortbed I'm restoring right now. I love the body style so that's a lot of why I'm doing it. It will never be a show truck but it will be a clean ride.

6fifty_f1fifty 02-23-2011 08:39 PM

If it runs good and is road worthy, that is all that matters. If you are rolling in dough, you could do all the body work and paint and have a nice looking and running
truck.

Me personally I put all my money into having a good running truck, looks are secondary.

Dichune 02-23-2011 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 6fifty_f1fifty (Post 10009988)
If it runs good and is road worthy, that is all that matters. If you are rolling in dough, you could do all the body work and paint and have a nice looking and running
truck.

Me personally I put all my money into having a good running truck, looks are secondary.

runs great and gets great gas mileage costs me about $40 close to every 2 weeks don't drive much and it has a 300 straight 6 in it. if you ask me been driving it for over 2 years now.

Onus 02-23-2011 08:47 PM

I'd do it. A nice looking 80-86 2wd or not will turn heads. Not many left on the road these days. Also i know what its like to get your dads truck. I have memories in it from when i was little. Too bad i never remember riding in it. It's been off the road since 94 when i was two. It was also the only new vehicle ever bought by my dad. Then again he has had two vehicles since he got the truck. The truck, and our 95 windstar. Do it for your dad! Also do it for learning its quite fun.