Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Differents in Factory ford and Alcoa Aluminum wheels ?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1041922-differents-in-factory-ford-and-alcoa-aluminum-wheels.html)

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 06:33 PM

Differents in Factory ford and Alcoa Aluminum wheels ??

I have a e99 F350 drw with factory ford # aluminum 5spoke 16' wheels and want to who made them rims for ford ? Is the Alcoa aluminum 5spoke 16' rim a better rim ? The reason I ask is a just got a set of Alcoa used. I plan to use the better of two sets wheels in the front and plan to replace the 2 steel wheels in back so I can have 4 aluminum in back. And the last issue I have one rear rim that has been welded (inside when the tire was off the wheel ) and I can still see a crack on outside ( looks like a scratch until I sanded and painted the wheels) on the dish side across one spoke. I have marked the rim and checked to see if it is getting worst. But the crack is same and rim holds air. I just don't like the idea of driving with a repaired wheel. I read somewhere that some 16' spoke aluminum rims were recalled ? Anyone ever hear about that or had this problem?

bulla 02-19-2011 08:05 PM

Which rim is cracked? Ford or alcoa? Just curious! I have welded up many alum wheels and never had problems but they were welded out 100%. another problem you may run into is stud length on your rears. The alum rims are 3 times thicker than the steel ones.

Bob Taulbee 02-19-2011 08:15 PM

I would be concerned about the wheels working loose. You will be torquing two aluminum wheels instead of one. Aluminum is not the best metal to hold torque. Just my thoughts.

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 08:20 PM

It is the Ford rim rear and it isn't a pretty weld either. Oh,YEA it's been repaired. Do think it's safe. Wouldn't the correct way to repair be to grind a v groove and weld and do that on both sides. The outside is still cracked on mine. Do you now who makes the rims for Ford? Are the two the same they look the same one has ford part# and the other doesn't or does the Alcoa use better aluminum?

Deluxe06 02-19-2011 08:21 PM

I've been running 4 OEM Aluminum rims on the back of my dually for over 2 years now with no problems

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee (Post 9991083)
I would be concerned about the wheels working loose. You will be torquing two aluminum wheels instead of one. Aluminum is not the best metal to hold torque. Just my thoughts.

I was thinking that you would cut down rolling mass by 50 % them steel wheels are heavy. And as far as torque semi's do dual aluminum and the ford trucks do have the lock washer set up on lugnuts. I don't think that would be the issue but like Bulla said it might be an issue with wheel studs ?

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Deluxe06 (Post 9991114)
I've been running 4 OEM Aluminum rims on the back of my dually for over 2 years now with no problems

So there isn't an issue with studs. Cool Do you know if there is a differents in the quality of the two wheels? I know there same size and offset. Off subject where did you get your intake pipe I like that?

Bob Taulbee 02-19-2011 08:37 PM

[quote=Deluxe06;9991114]I've been running 4 OEM Aluminum rims on the back of my dually for over 2 years now with no problems[/quote

There is your answer, Richard has them on his truck, with no problem.

Franko72 02-19-2011 08:42 PM

I always thought that Alcoa made the Ford dually wheels...:confused:

bulla 02-19-2011 08:49 PM

I'm sure alcoa makes the ford wheels and they probly have some sort of deal where they let ford pit their stamp on it. I would love to put alum rims on the back to replace my steel wheels especially if I could find some front rims to mount in the insides to be able to rotate em with the fronts. That would save some serious time and money, only problem is the shape the wheel would be in after riding down the gravel roads with my destinations playing dodgeball with the polished wheel. Ouch! But boy would it be nice.

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Franko72 (Post 9991218)

Hello Frank I was thinking that but I can't find any proof to back that up. So you think that Alcoa makes them and ford stamps their # in it ?

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bulla (Post 9991257)
I'm sure alcoa makes the ford wheels and they probly have some sort of deal where they let ford pit their stamp on it. I would love to put alum rims on the back to replace my steel wheels especially if I could find some front rims to mount in the insides to be able to rotate em with the fronts. That would save some serious time and money, only problem is the shape the wheel would be in after riding down the gravel roads with my destinations playing dodgeball with the polished wheel. Ouch! But boy would it be nice.

Yea gravel roads are not kind. I ended up painting my rims. I wish I had the cash to powder coat them. The ones I just got are still in good shape and I am going to paint them anyway.

Deluxe06 02-19-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 9991165)
So there isn't an issue with studs. Cool Do you know if there is a differents in the quality of the two wheels? I know there same size and offset. Off subject where did you get your intake pipe I like that?

No stud issues plenty of threads, about the quality of the two different rims I don't know that but Alcoa rims have a BIG reputation in the big truck industry as being the best. The tube I custom made

Deluxe06 02-19-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 9991283)
Yea gravel roads are not kind. I ended up painting my rims. I wish I had the cash to powder coat them. The ones I just got are still in good shape and I am going to paint them anyway.

I want to have mine chromed.

Franko72 02-19-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 9991262)
Hello Frank I was thinking that but I can't find any proof to back that up. So you think that Alcoa makes them and ford stamps their # in it ?

I swear that I read it somewhere that Alcoa made em for Ford. Alcoa would put the Ford stamp on when they were made. I just cant find it.......:-arrgh
Now I do remember that when my truck was for sale the add said Alcoa wheels....Mine are stamped Ford, and the previous owner could be a dummy for all I know, but I'm pretty sure they are made by Alcoa.

BadDogKuzz 02-19-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Deluxe06 (Post 9991297)
No stud issues plenty of threads, about the quality of the two different rims I don't know that but Alcoa rims have a BIG reputation in the big truck industry as being the best. The tube I custom made

Alcoa brand name (stickers on them) is why I bought them. That is why I wonder if the ford ones are of lesser quality hess the cracked ford rim. So that will leave me one aluminum spare tire and I am going to keep that one polished just so it looks good under the truck.
I have a chrome rear diff cover, SS MBRP tip on pipe and I want a chrome oil pan. I really want to ditch all chrome bumpers. And only have chrome grill and tail pipe that all you can see top side oh yea I am working on chrome spiked lugnut covers. You'll love it or hate it. We'll see how it looks. By the way really nice job on the intake pipe.

BadDogKuzz 05-18-2011 10:08 PM

Well I have done some more reseach on this matter. And I would like to share what I have found and get your take on what they are saying. Alcoa has a very good website with a lot of info.
1: Alcoa Wheels North America: Literature: Technical Service: Dual Rear Wheel Mounting Instructions & Fitment Check The wheels studs are easy enough to understand but I am aliitle confused about hub pilots?!?
2: recall Alcoa Wheels North America: Literature: Technical Service: Product Recalls
3: No WELDING http://alcoa.com/alcoawheels/catalog...ting_Wheel.pdf
:-hair

Lex2002 01-25-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deluxe06 (Post 9991319)
I want to have mine chromed.

YES I wanna chrome my OEM rims too. They are peeling under the center caps...looks terrible.

Can they be chromed? I think they are aluminum...

Any idea?

BadDogKuzz 09-23-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lex2002 (Post 11336975)
YES I wanna chrome my OEM rims too. They are peeling under the center caps...looks terrible.

Can they be chromed? I think they are aluminum...

Any idea?

I do believe they can be chromed but the cost is not going to be cheap. Since the wheels need to be bead blasted then chromed. And for a little more money you can buy new wheels.
But it has been many years since I have had anything sent out to be chromed. Since I belong to CA "Chrome Anonymous" you really need to be care because chroming can be addictive. That is why I just say "NO" to chrome. :-X04

megawatt00 09-23-2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Deluxe06 (Post 9991114)

Aluminum rims on my dually too with no issues what so ever...and my dually is lifted as well.

Lex2002 09-24-2012 03:08 PM

...I agree....the cost of chroming old rims is likely absurd compared to new rims...plus if youre getting new tires it would save the cost of mounting and balancing.

Then again I dont think aftermarket rims tend to look very good on trucks...I prefer the OEM look...even if its OE rims off a newer model F350.

The OE size rims on the 7.3 are likely quite cheap aftermarket since they are small relative to the newer trucks with 20s+.

Lex

BadDogKuzz 11-27-2013 01:32 PM

I posted this tread as a link the other day and after rereading it I thought I would post an update. Well I am still driving around with a repaired wheel.:-X18 And as I have yet to find a replacement for what I am willing to pay I have seen and talked to guys that have had the same problem mine had and is a stress crack at the spoke. So that is about a total of 10 wheels that I have know to crack at the spoke and in most cases these guys either had tow truck or towed heavy 5th wheels and were 1999 or 2000 model year. Everyone other that I had the good sense not to repair the wheel. In my defense I did not repair the wheel the first owner had to have had it done.

Now that brings me back to Alcoa recall Alcoa Wheels North America: Literature: Technical Service: Product Recalls

I come to find out that Alcoa did make the wheels for Ford but since it is a Ford part # that it was up to Ford to make good on it. Ford did not do a recall from the best I can tell. I was told that when the truck was under factory warranty and it cracked that they would warranty it. When the truck is out of warranty and it was cracked it was your's to pay for. Now on the other hand Alcoa did put out a recall on the wheels with Alcoa part# and will replace them no matter how old. Which turned out to be good for me but not so good for Blackie since the wheels I had bought were actually 8x6.5 bolt pattern not the 8x170mm. So Alcoa paid for shipping of the old rims to them and sent me a new set with center caps for free!!! Mind you I have a old '76 E350 motorhome that has 16.5 wheels on it now with 8x6.5. So someday when I am not spending money on Blackie I am going to put these on my old motorhome.
Thanks Alcoa!!:-wink
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=89069

Lex2002 11-27-2013 02:12 PM

WHAT?! Alcoa warrantied a rim from 1999?!

BadDogKuzz 11-27-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lex2002 (Post 13785911)
WHAT?! Alcoa warrantied a rim from 1999?!

That is correct ! And actually the rims I had bought were actually made in 1997. Alcoa said that this recall is good forever as long as it serial # matchs the recall. They don't want a crappy product with their name on it out there. Besides there is the liabilty side of it. Which says alot about a company. Alcoa has proven to me that they make a great wheel and are willing to stand behind it. Alcoa has me as a customer for life.

Now here is an other little fact Alcoa did not make any 8x170mm under their own name for the 1999-2004 F350 DRW. The only wheels they made for the 8x170mm was for Ford. For some reason Alcoa wanted no part in putting out any product for that oddball 8x170mm.
Personally I think it was one of Ford's dumber ideas to change the lug pattern to a 8x170mm. Thanks Ford!!!!!!:-X16
http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/nor...itment_PDF.pdf

Lex2002 11-27-2013 04:06 PM

How do I crack all 4 rims????:-jammin

dn29626 11-27-2013 05:14 PM

I have been running 4 OEM aluminum rims on back for close to 10 years.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=105390

What should a used set of 6 Alcoa cost? That picture looks mighty apealing.

Lex2002 11-27-2013 05:47 PM

hey hey hey...dont make me show you my peeling rims Mr.!

Never mind the air nozzle...focus on the peeling clear coat.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps3c7bb052.jpg

Supercab 11-28-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Franko72 (Post 9991218)

+1 I did too.

BadDogKuzz 11-28-2013 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Supercab (Post 13787842)
+1 I did too.

You and Frank were correct ! :-drink Just too bad that Ford didn't stand behind the wheels Alcoa made for them by doing a recall too.