Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoBoost (all engine sizes) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum262/)
-   -   EB Observation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1041890-eb-observation.html)

svt2205 02-19-2011 04:50 PM

EB Observation

Today I went down to my semi-local Ford dealer to look at the EB F150's. They have 3 or 4 and each has an odd visual feature that has turned me off on considering one.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...219_085608.jpg
Notice the front plate bracket resides in place of the normal black plastic cover. Apparently in states, like NH, where a front plate is required. Ford replaces the ok looking plastic cover with the front plate holder. I would guess they felt the EB needs the additional air flow for cooling or general engine breathing. When I first noticed it, it was on a Max Tow equipped truck. But this is the case on all of the 3 or 4 I looked at. Fugly to say the least.

Here's 2 window stickers and the dealers pricing for 2 EB trucks.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...219_084325.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...219_084320.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...219_085625.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...219_085621.jpg

powerstroke72 02-19-2011 04:52 PM

I hate to sound shallow but that would be a deal breaker for me. I don't like the front tag mount offset like that.

I guess though, that someone will come up with some kind of bracket to relocate it to the center.

svt2205 02-19-2011 06:04 PM

I feel the same way. I went to the dealer today to make a deal on the truck in the top picture. It has just about everything I wanted, except those fancy heated/cooled seats and console. But once I saw the awkward look of the front with the plate on the side. I said, NO EB for me.

I figure it this way. If Ford felt the need to relocate the plate. How the heck would this truck respond to adding my plow.

tseekins 02-19-2011 08:59 PM

Back in the day were plenty of older cars and trucks that had the front tag mounted on the driver's side. I'm a bit OC but this isn't a deal breaker for me.

My concern with the air vent is that there doesn't appear to be a screen or mesh in the opening to keep rocks from hitting the radiator or other items under the hood.

What do you all think?

svt2205 02-20-2011 04:44 AM

I sort of remember days when that wasn't all that unusual. I'm just at a point in my life where. I'm not spending 35 - 40K on something unless it is EXACTLY what I want.

I posted this over on the other site and folks have been so kind to point out that I must be nucking futs to decide not to buy on such a simple thing. But how can I plow if airflow from a plate required the plate be moved. Someone else pointed out that plowing with the new EPS isn't a good thing. I'm now thinking a F150 is no longer adequate for my needs.

Tim, I don't think you'll have any real issues with that opening and rocks. Bugs yes, but probably not too many rocks will find their way in.

tseekins 02-20-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by svt2205 (Post 9992179)
I sort of remember days when that wasn't all that unusual. I'm just at a point in my life where. I'm not spending 35 - 40K on something unless it is EXACTLY what I want.

I posted this over on the other site and folks have been so kind to point out that I must be nucking futs to decide not to buy on such a simple thing. But how can I plow if airflow from a plate required the plate be moved. Someone else pointed out that plowing with the new EPS isn't a good thing. I'm now thinking a F150 is no longer adequate for my needs.

Tim, I don't think you'll have any real issues with that opening and rocks. Bugs yes, but probably not too many rocks will find their way in.

I've tried every trim level and cab / box configuration available and no go on a 2011 "snow plow prep package" with a 3.5L truck.

What I'm not understanding is that the super duty diesel guys can push snow all day without issue. These engines get hot and need to breathe just like the ecoboost.

onug 02-24-2011 10:04 AM

Interesting feature having the license plate off to the side. I definitely don't like it. The look isn't a deal breaker for me,but I can understand how others won't accept it. Small things like that can bother me too.

boomer08 02-24-2011 11:52 AM

Definitely not a factor for me. I will be in the seat driving. Your loss, it is an awesome truck. WEEEEEEE WEEEEEEE

TexasA&M 02-24-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 9992323)

What I'm not understanding is that the super duty diesel guys can push snow all day without issue. These engines get hot and need to breathe just like the ecoboost.

It has zero to do with the engine, and everything to do with the suspension of the truck. The F150 just wasn't designed to have a lot of weight and stress added to the front.

powerstroke72 02-24-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by boomer08 (Post 10012513)
I will be behind the seat driving.

That should be interesting.:-missingt

tseekins 02-24-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by TexasA&M (Post 10013460)
It has zero to do with the engine, and everything to do with the suspension of the truck. The F150 just wasn't designed to have a lot of weight and stress added to the front.

The snow plow prep package was available on the 2010 model trucks. What's changed?

boomer08 02-24-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 10013558)
That should be interesting.:-missingt

Opps had a brain fart. That would be funny to see though.

svt2205 02-25-2011 04:31 AM

What changed, the addition of electric power steering is probably the biggest factor and on the EB the need to have clean air blowing on the intercooler.

I've never understood those who are against plowing or working with a half ton. These trucks are very strong and durable. Heck, I've had many F150's with plows and have not had any more problems with my trucks then folks who use theirs as grocery getters.

This offset plate thing just set me over the edge on considering a EB F150. So there's no sense in getting into a debate over plow vs don't plow. But what's going to happen when someone replaces their factory front bumper with one of those rugged aftermarket monsters with a large winch right in the middle? That's going to block FAR more air then a plate will. Does owning a EB powered F150 mean you can't add accessories that might blocks some of the airflow to the intercooler. Ford's offset plate says it's a problem. If it wasn't the front of the EB would look just like ever other 11 F150.

But hey, some say, it's my loss. Is it really? I want a truck I can work with that I don't need to handle lightly. If the EB option limits that, then it's not for me.

tseekins 02-25-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by svt2205 (Post 10015985)
What changed, the addition of electric power steering is probably the biggest factor and on the EB the need to have clean air blowing on the intercooler.

I've never understood those who are against plowing or working with a half ton. These trucks are very strong and durable. Heck, I've had many F150's with plows and have not had any more problems with my trucks then folks who use theirs as grocery getters.

This offset plate thing just set me over the edge on considering a EB F150. So there's no sense in getting into a debate over plow vs don't plow. But what's going to happen when someone replaces their factory front bumper with one of those rugged aftermarket monsters with a large winch right in the middle? That's going to block FAR more air then a plate will. Does owning a EB powered F150 mean you can't add accessories that might blocks some of the airflow to the intercooler. Ford's offset plate says it's a problem. If it wasn't the front of the EB would look just like ever other 11 F150.

But hey, some say, it's my loss. Is it really? I want a truck I can work with that I don't need to handle lightly. If the EB option limits that, then it's not for me.

I'm going to post this in the 2009+ forum to see if can get more discussion on the matter. I have to agree with you sir, the 2011 trucks and the addition of the EB motor shouldn't have taken us two steps back.

powerstroke72 02-25-2011 05:27 AM

I'd imagine it'll just be a matter of time until one of the aftermarket companies comes out with an intake / intercooler plumbing that removes the need to offset the tag like that......hopefully anyways.