Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arkansas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum175/)
-   -   I'm hungry, what's for supper? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1040574-im-hungry-whats-for-supper.html)

mechmagcn 02-15-2011 05:21 PM

I'm hungry, what's for supper?

Hi guys, I know all of you married gents out there probably don't have a lot of say so when it comes to the local menu, but us singles have to do it all. So, with all of that said, what's on the menu lately? Favorites?
Right now I have some boneless pork country style ribs in the slow cooker with mushroom gravy, gonna serve it over wild rice.
some of my other staples are: steak, potatoes cooked any way, venison stew, lots of dishes containing chicken, and of course Mac-n-cheese :9
I'll add a few more as I think of them. :rolleyes:

tojoski 02-15-2011 11:51 PM

hmm..

There's always the floured and fried pork chops, then gravy made out of the pan crunchies..(is that the term? lol), mashed potatoes and then some green veggie..

If you want something truly sinful, I can get you a recipe for pasta Alfredo that literally is to die for... butter, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, milk and garlic. (yes this stuff must be 90% cholesterol)

Just pan fried pork tenderloin is one of our favorites. Over the weekend we tried a recipe with pork and apple slices.. not too crazy about that, a little too sweet for my tastes.

Old_Crow 02-16-2011 04:56 AM

We've been doing a pretty good chili lately. A pound of ground venison, a pound of Italian sausage, a couple of cans of whatever beans happen to be in the cupboard(black, pinto, or kidney), a can of Rotel-like tomatoe sauce and various spices. Serve topped with onions, sour cream and cheese.
Yeah, I know some people don't think beans belong in chili. I ain't one of 'em.

mechmagcn 02-16-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 9974820)
Yeah, I know some people don't think beans belong in chili. I ain't one of 'em.

Hey to me it ain't chili without beans :D
Still trying to figure out how to cook for just one, I mean leftovers are good, once, then the dog usually ends up with the remains.
Joe, I can tell you like to eat and it sounds like you really don't care what the consequences are. Most of the time I cook for taste, if it's good for you, it seldom tastes good. I don't fry a lot of foods, most are either grilled or baked, but that fried pork chop is to die for.
To expand on the menu:
Thin sliced steak fingers floured and fried, gravy made from the drippings, mashed potatoes and pinto beans with jalepeno peppers.
Ribeye steak grilled medium rare, baked potato/sour cream and some grilled asparagus on the side.
Red beans and rice with thick slices of smoked sausage.
Pinto beans with a slice of salt pork served over cornbread and southern fried taters on the side.
Hmmm... I'm gonna have to quit before I make myself hungry again :-X10

arctic y block 02-16-2011 10:31 AM

Ah!! Swanson works for me.

tojoski 02-16-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mechmagcn (Post 9975530)
Joe, I can tell you like to eat and it sounds like you really don't care what the consequences are.

It's a bad habit I'm trying to break, :-D

tojoski 02-28-2011 10:31 PM

I made a pretty mean meatloaf over the weekend.. 1lb ground beef, 1/2 pound hot pork sausage, onion soup mix, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup crumbled ritz crackers, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.. and your choice of ketchup / steak sauce for a glaze..

Whooda thunk it? Me a meatloaf kinda guy.. hey atleast its low carb :-X04

mechmagcn 03-01-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by tojoski (Post 10033559)
Whooda thunk it? Me a meatloaf kinda guy.. hey atleast its low carb :-X04

Sounds good Joe, I love a good meatloaf :9

Old_Crow 03-01-2011 11:31 AM

Sounds good. Next time add some chopped onions and maybe some mushroom slices too.

zhilton 03-03-2011 10:47 AM

My wife makes two different casserole type dishes that I can't keep my hands off...

(A)Tater-Tot casarole...(from bottom to top) a 1Ib of hamburger, chopped onion (they can be omitted if you don't like onions) can of cream of mushroom, sliced cheese (pepperjack is great) and tater-tots. The original recipe called for raw meat...and you had to cook it for something like 45 minutes. We cook/brown the meat in a separate skillet...thus it's ready in 12-15 (how ever long the tots need)

(B)Chessey Chicken casserole...made with crush Doritos for a crust, sliced chicken breast, Rotel and cheddar cheese. I don't remember exactly how she puts it together...but I know EXACTLY how to take it apart.:-X21 I'll try to remember to ask here for details...good stuff if your in the mood for TexMex.

Originally Posted by tojoski (Post 10033559)
1lb ground beef, 1/2 pound hot pork sausage, onion soup mix, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup crumbled ritz crackers, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.. and your choice of ketchup / steak sauce for a glaze..

Interesting...going to have to try that one time to see how it works out. We usually mix half Ritz (generic brand) crackers and oatmeal when we have it at the house.

Originally Posted by mechmagcn (Post 10034445)
Sounds good Joe, I love a good meatloaf

Who doesn't like meatloaf? Ranks up there with apple pie; the world would be lost without it.

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 10035466)
Sounds good. Next time add some chopped onions and maybe some mushroom slices too.

Now there's an idea...mushrooms! We already put onions...against the wishes of the kids...into our meatloaf. Good stuff Maynard!

mechmagcn 03-03-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by zhilton (Post 10045366)
We usually mix half Ritz (generic brand) crackers and oatmeal

I usually use seasoned bread crumbs in mine, or if I don't have those, some crutons crushed is the same.:9

mechmagcn 03-21-2011 09:38 PM

Tonights menu: Salmon fillets, seasoned with herb and spice blend. Asparagus, seasoned with pepper and garlic salt. Sweet corn on the cob, salted and buttered, wrapped in foil. All grilled to perfection. :9
Tomorrow: Grilled pork chops, mac-n-cheese and probably a can of beans.

zhilton 03-30-2011 05:05 PM

Mmm, tater-tot casserole for dinner. If I only had my wife's upside-down cake for dinner I'd have it made.