Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Crank.. No start.. P1663 FDCS Circuit Failure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039961-crank-no-start-p1663-fdcs-circuit-failure.html)

Midwest Dually 02-13-2011 09:15 PM

Crank.. No start.. P1663 FDCS Circuit Failure

I know there is tons of good info here, and I am in the process of searching as we go, but I am in a bit of a time crunch!

The ol project truck got wired up and new batteries for fire up today! This is my 94/97 hybrid, LOL! For all purposes, its a 97 F250HD 7.3 Auto 4x4 for trouble shooting..

I got everything hooked up, checked wiring and went to start it with no luck. Here is what has happened:
  • Engine cranks, wont fire up. Engine RPM is good as brand new 850cca batteries were just installed.
  • Lights are good and operational
  • "NO" mileage readout on the gauges! Blank screen where mileage should be.
  • Check engine light comes on very briefly, then off imediately.
  • "WTS" light comes on for about 5 seconds, then off. You can hear relay really fire up!
  • As cranking, "Fuel Filter" light and "Water in fuel" light come on.
  • "RPM" gauge comes up by about 200rpm but doesnt bounce as engine cranks.
  • GPR gets pretty hot to the touch and even smoked
So after several attempts of cranking and cranking, it wont fire up! I didnt cook the starter trying, but I gave it a good go! After not getting a CEL I went ahead and threw a scanner on it and here is what I ended up with:
  • First Code: P0603
  • Second Code: P0334
Reading that it may be the CPS, I went ahead and replaced it. Tried again with no luck. Rescanned and got:
  • P1663
Amazingly enough, all the other codes went away. But still no fire up! I heard about chips being bad, so I am questioning the one that came with my computer. Its a no name one (BD-power.com) according to the tag on it.

Any ideas? I got get this truck up and going asap, or its going into storage for a long time, as I am moving at the end of this week, and will have to leave it behind to be picked up another year. Thank you!!

oldbird1965 02-13-2011 11:22 PM

What is the FDCS? Isn't this your SD motor in the 97? I really am not any help but the GPR shouldn't be getting hot. It should be a timed event. WAG, wiring.

Muktown 02-13-2011 11:56 PM

I would take the chip out first of all just to eliminate that. Fdcs is fuel delivery command signal. with some limited searching I came up with a possible faulty pcm or idm. Canyou swap in a different one to try? Here's a little of what I found

Fuel Delivery Command Signal (FDCS)

IDMooseMan 02-14-2011 05:57 AM

Is the fuel filter good? Is the FPR screen clear? Oil in the HPOP at the proper level?

I'm assuming you checked these already, but I had to ask just to make sure.

I'm leaning towards the advice Muktown gave. Pull the chip and see what happens.

Action4478 02-14-2011 08:35 AM

T1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1663 — FDCS CIRCUIT FAILURE
DTC 1663 indicated that the PCM has detected a failure on the FDCS line.
Possible causes:
Open/short in FDCS circuit
Non-powered IDM
IDM
PCM
Check for other codes.
Key on, engine off.
Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs

If you pull the chip , make sure the key is in your pocket...

Midwest Dually 02-14-2011 09:59 AM

Craig: Brand new filters and lubes! New O-rings, gaskets, belts and hoses!

Rick and Justin: Not sure I can pull the chip and all will work. I dont have the key, as I am not the one that originally put this chip in. If I pull the chip, will I kill the memory?

Glenn: I will check on that WAG wiring! Isnt there supposed to be a wire that runs to the fuel bowl that has an inline fuse? If so, where does that wire originate from?

tjbeggs 02-14-2011 05:57 PM

Make sure the key is off. Then just pull the chip out. Then the programming will just go back to the stock PCM programming. If the chip is bad the truck should start. Either way I would leave the chip out until its up and running.

Midwest Dually 02-14-2011 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs (Post 9968140)
Make sure the key is off. Then just pull the chip out. Then the programming will just go back to the stock PCM programming. If the chip is bad the truck should start. Either way I would leave the chip out until its up and running.

Will do! I wasnt sure if I pulled the chip, if I was gonna lose all the fuel tables and maps for it. Knowing that I can de-chip it and go from there is awesome!

As for an update.. What a nightmare!!! I went to a variety of autoparts shops looking to get a new computer, after seeing brand new they are around $130. Problem being, order and shipping time. Many of them will get it to me next week.. Not working on my schedule. I had serious issues with the rocket scientists at Autozone.. They wouldnt get me any info unless I provided a VIN. Problem being.. the engine and computer are from the donor truck, which has been recylced into a park bench or something, along with all the paperwork!

So I went to the dealership here. I originally hit the first parts guy up for the computer.. $580.. I think not! I told I needed a moment to think over that price.. he walked away from the counter leaving me to wonder.. I asked to speak to the head service tech supervisor here. The service manager was really patient and helpful with me. She went over the codes and process I went through to trouble shoot the problem. The final code (P1663) I told her about. She went online through the Ford Service Tech manuals and info, found that its the IDM that has failed. Good news.. TJ's advice with the chip out can be tested with some promise, and I will need to get a new IDM. I am not going through the dealership on that one.. $1140 is what they want for one, and it takes 2 weeks to ship. I have another source down here I am going to tap and see where it goes from there.. I will keep ya'll updated! Thank you all for the help!!!

Midwest Dually 02-14-2011 11:10 PM

More info..

Thought I would share the video of its first start too..
[IMG]******** width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2l4Te9qs6M?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2l4Te9qs6M?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>*********>[/IMG]

oldbird1965 02-14-2011 11:16 PM

Chris, seems to me that I might have an extra one. When I did the 140v mod I got an extra in case I screwed up the IDM. I'll look in the bottom of my tool box.

Midwest Dually 02-15-2011 04:38 PM

Ok Glenn! I appreciate it! By any chance, an extra PCM too, just in case, LOL!

oldbird1965 02-15-2011 07:43 PM

Chris, I do have an extra, extra. Want me to ship it to you? PCM?? Ya, and there is almost a full moon out too! LOL

Midwest Dually 02-15-2011 08:34 PM

Thank you Glenn.. I will PM about it all..

Good news UPDATE: The IDM was bad! I found a loaner, put it in.. She runs soooooo Nicely!!!

oldbird1965 02-15-2011 09:05 PM

Way to go!