Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Trailing Arms and track arm are rusted (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039950-trailing-arms-and-track-arm-are-rusted.html)

JDMitchell 02-13-2011 08:47 PM

Trailing Arms and track arm are rusted

I am looking for replacement upper and lower rear trailing arms and the track arm. All of mine are pretty rusted and I will want to replace these before they cause any problems. Anyone have suggestions for either an inexpensive stock replacement, or preferably an aftermarket option that doesn't cost $500+. I am thinking about taking all of the pieces off, and going to a welder and having them make me some replacements. Has anyone here done this and what problems, if any did you run into? It would be nice to know how much I can expect for some work like this to be done, since I have never had a part made for me before.

etewald 02-14-2011 10:07 AM

Next time, try the search function. There have been many people with these same problems. Try these--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...#ht_1896wt_939

or these--
1999 FORD EXPEDITION UPPER REAR CONTROL ARMS - eBay (item 280621017794 end time Feb-24-11 13:00:10 PST)

fordno1 02-14-2011 10:28 AM

Trailing Arms

Check out this website. These are by far a better product than OEM stamped steel. For the same money you can get a great product. The link below is for all 4 trailing arms (upper/lower). They do sell lowers only for about 1/2 that. Give them a call.

PMT Fabrication. 97-02 FORD EXPEDITION/ NAVIGATOR REAR TRAILING ARMS

JDMitchell 02-14-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by etewald (Post 9966304)

Yeah thanks bud. If you would have read my post I was looking for an INexpensive option since my Expy is just my beater. And I did do a search, I was just wondering what else was out there that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I only paid $3200 for the Expy why would I want to spend $700 (PMT) when I can get them made for possibly half of that, or just maybe someone has a set of good stock arms that are just sitting in a garage collecting dust.

fordno1 02-14-2011 06:59 PM

I would start hitting the salvage yards then. You never stated that you wanted junk ones for your beater with a heater. Some people have had good luck going that route. Good luck!

alloro 02-14-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by JDMitchell (Post 9967191)
why would I want to spend $700 (PMT) when I can get them made for possibly half of that

I clicked the link and the set of 4 was $520 not $700, plus that's for the upper and lower trailing arms. You can get the pair of just lowers (and mounting bolts) for $285.

PMT Fabrication. 97-02 FORD EXPEDITION LOWER REAR CONTROL ARMS

JDMitchell 02-14-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 9968598)
I clicked the link and the set of 4 was $520 not $700, plus that's for the upper and lower trailing arms. You can get the pair of just lowers (and mounting bolts) for $285.

PMT Fabrication. 97-02 FORD EXPEDITION LOWER REAR CONTROL ARMS

Then the track arm runs another $180 to make all the parts an even $700.

alloro 02-16-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JDMitchell (Post 9968694)
Then the track arm runs another $180 to make all the parts an even $700.

Okay I missed the track arm thing, but still, the lowers with the track arm is still only $465. Very rarely do the upper arms need to be replaced.

JDMitchell 02-18-2011 11:59 PM

I talked to the welding instructor at my local VoTech, and he said that if I bring in the materials (he recommended schedule 40, 2 inch round pipe) that he would be happy to weld up my track bar and trailing arms. I bought some aftermarket upper arms from a seller on ebay to eliminate any chance of messing something up since it has that kink in it.

I measured everything twice today and I got 20 3/8 for the lower trailing arms and 47 inches for the track bar. My questions are these:

1. Can someone post the measurements for the inner diameter of the bushing tubes for the track bar and lower arm?

2. Any suggestions on different pipe, I priced the schedule 40, 2 inch pipe and it is only $3.50 a foot. Is that gonna be enough strength?

3. Any suggestions on size of the bolt needed to make the lowers adjustable......... just in case I lift it later on.

alloro 02-19-2011 03:00 AM

I can't believe your instructor would be that irresponsible to fabricate and install such a critical suspension component, without having any way to know if they will hold up to the stress.

Someone else once made their own, here's the thread on it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...trol-arms.html

fordno1 02-19-2011 07:49 AM

Alloro, watch what you say. A welding instructor from the local college is usually someone with many certifications and experience. I think the instructor has way more experience welding and knowledge than the person who sits in a tiny little cubical doing the same weld day in and day out welding these arms up for PMT. You are paying a company $250 for $20 in parts. It takes no more than 15 minutes to make a set. Add that up and you $40-$50 in materials including powder coat. That is quite a mark up if you ask me. I like his idea. The steel used by PMT is no different than the stuff you buy from a steel supplier. The bushings can be found quite easily. JDMitcell is on the right track. Take pictures of before and after so we can see. I am thinking about doing something similar. Except, I will use my original arms as a frame and simply box them in. They will look just like PMT part when I am done. I am a fabricator/welder by trade so this is a simple fix and I guarantee the arms I do will be stronger than any OEM part and just as strong at PMT. What is a few hours of work and $50 in steel to do all the 4 arms plus the track arm. Keep us posted JDMitchell!

JDMitchell 02-19-2011 11:43 AM

I will try to remember to take pics of the progress and keep records of measurements and material used. I know that it would be nice for me right now to have a shopping list for everything needed to do this.

alloro 02-19-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by fordno1 (Post 9988737)
Alloro, watch what you say.

No I will not watch what I say. I don't care how good of a welder you or an instructor from the local college are, you do not have the equipment to test this type of fabrication to prove it's road worthiness. These arms are responsible for holding the entire rear axle and suspension in place. You have no idea how the materials used are going to hold up to the constant beating, stresses, heat, cold, or road minerals over time.

As to the PMT ones, I have no knowledge as to whom welds their products. But I do know their product has been and is being used without any issues.

Cutting cost corners and putting people lives on the line is what you're trying to tell me is okay here. Do you really think that's a point you can push while calling it being responsible?

fordno1 02-19-2011 05:28 PM

So, Alloro, you are saying you know everything about everything.:-X17 I guess you have never built a hot rod from the ground up. Boxed a frame, built custom front/rear suspension for cars, built gassers, welded anything besides some tin, etc.... whatever. I really don't need to prove a point to you. What he is doing will be far better than factory stamped steel and will be just as strong as PMT parts. Even if it isn't the same as PMT it will still be stronger than OEM stuff! If you know anything about stamped steel, it's weak. Why do you think most manufactures now hydroform truck frames now. It's stronger instead of stamping it out. It doesn't even compare to the dude that bought black pipe at H.D. Anyone who welds knows that will not work! Here is PMT description:

Upgrade from your old stamped steel OEM suspension parts to our bulletproof boxed design. Polyurethane bushings offered in black are easy to lubricate with grease fittings and a durable powdercoat finish in high gloss black. The lowers are constructed with 1 1/2 x 2 x .120 wall boxed tubing while the uppers are laser cut and precision bent from .375 hrp&o mild steel for the ultimate in strength, fit and finish. Upon opening the box, you will see that they are nothing short of impressive! This kit comes complete with hardware....ready to install! Thank you for looking......Own the best product for the best price hands down!

I can go to the local steel shop and buy 1 1/2 x 2 x .120 wall boxed tubing. .120 = 1/8 thick. Very common and same as what PMT uses. As for welding it, no different than PMT. Sorry, to say, but this is something you don't anything about!
Good luck JDMitchell, keep us posted and don't worry about Alloro. :-offtopicI know, I know.

JDMitchell 02-19-2011 09:17 PM

I will not cut corners on the parts I have made for my expy. I bought this vehicle to transport my family and all our gear for camping and bike riding, since it would be a little cramped in our main family vehicle (CX-9). Even if the DOM is twice as much per foot over the schedule 40, I will err on the side of safety. I'm not saying that the schedule 40 isn't strong enough since I am just a dumb grunt but if there is even a chance that it won't last I will go ahead and buy what has been proven as a good strong piece of metal for fabrication. Thanks for the opinions from both sides of the fence.