Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Power steering fluid flush?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039335-power-steering-fluid-flush.html)

ramrod7373 02-12-2011 09:34 AM

Power steering fluid flush??

Took my truck into Big O to have tires rotated and they did a fluid check. They told me my power steering fluid needed to be flushed and drained. I have never heard of this. Want to charge me $99 for it. They said if I don't do it soon it will lead to pre-mature pump failure. What do you all think?

redman84 02-12-2011 09:49 AM

$99 to flush and fill a couple(if that) quarts of ATF? I hope you told them to just flush the space between their ears instead. It's not too hard to do. I've done with directions from here before but can't remember which line to disconnect. Kinda messy but not hard. Got ATF on my axle so I had to smell that every time I rolled down the window for a WHILE.

Iallwork 02-12-2011 11:04 AM

Mine was wining a bit then my power streering line blew off so the fluid got changed then. Kind of a messy way to do it. Oh well little bit of rust proofing from the salt in that spot. good idea to change it though. The line on the side of the pump is easy to get at. Not sure how to flush it other then drain what you can and fill it back up a couple times. Try doing a search for it on here.

Major Marvin 02-12-2011 11:16 AM

I've been wanting to do this as well, what is the best ATF to use? Synthetic?

pjwoolw 02-12-2011 11:18 AM

I just pump out as much as I can out of the reservoir with a small lube pump. And fill with synthetic ATF. I just did it a couple of weeks ago for the third or fourth time. Kinda of a long process but I hate the mess of pulling down that low pressure hose.

KonaGrown 02-12-2011 11:24 AM

http://www.superdutypsd.com/power_steering_flush.php

This is for a superduty, but the procedure should be exactly the same. Just have to find the right line to disconnect and connect a hose to. Then turn the wheels from full lock to full lock (with truck jacked) keeping the reservior full until you have clean ATF fluid coming out.

pjwoolw 02-12-2011 11:35 AM

Unless its been converted to Hydro Boost that procedure isn't possible. Good link though!

strokin'_tatsch 02-12-2011 12:44 PM

If you want to flush it completely, you will have to disconnect the low pressure hose and it makes a bit of a mess. I would do like Pete said, pump the fluid out of the reservoir and refill it. That will get the majority of the fluid.. Of course, flushing the whole system wouldn't hurt

RRranch 02-12-2011 01:27 PM

Anytime a shop recommends a flush on ANYTHING, they are hurting for hours. And money. It's all a scam!!!!!! Don't buy into it.

Do like the others said and just disconnect the return hose. BUT also cut taht old return hose off the cooler down in your cross member. Install a new hose about 3 feet long and install a 3/8 inline transmission filter. With 3 feet of hose on it you can tie strap the filter in that gap between your wheel well and frame for easier replacements in the future. Just make sure to tie strap it clear of the fan too. Those filters are cheap. And use synthetic ATF like mobil 1 or something. If it's making noise now then type F should shut it up. That was some good stuff back in it's day. Ford called for it in all power steering systems through 91.

Bronco25 09-30-2011 02:54 PM

Don't Mix Fluids

Type F and the Dexron type fluids (Mercon) are incompatible. The seal materials for the associated fluids are attacked if the wrong fluid is used. The source of most power steering leaks is that someone at one time put the wrong fluid in the system. This made it confusing for many years when Ford switched to Mercon for the transmissions yet kept Type F for the power steering systems up until 1995. If it says Type F, do not use Power Steering Fluid or Mercon/Dexron products.