Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   no brake lights?? help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1036936-no-brake-lights-help.html)

piedpipper5 02-05-2011 12:00 PM

no brake lights?? help

I have an 04 F250 with no brake lights. However the third brake light works. Ive also noticed that my trailer brake lights dont work either. I do
have all my turn signals and running lights. Another issue that could be connected is I have one out of four hazard lights. when i push in the hazards my front passenger blinker works but none of the others. Could this all be due to a relay switch? Any ideas would be appreciated.

piedpipper5 02-05-2011 05:01 PM

wow im surprised that there are no suggestions! Never had that happen on a forum

powerstroke72 02-05-2011 05:07 PM

Be patient. It's the weekend and a lot of folks are out doing things besides hanging out here.:-D I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly to help you out.

And, Welcome to FTE!

carltonwebb 02-05-2011 06:38 PM

I would say multi function switch (turn signal assembly) . There is a procedure to check it in my photos. Click below
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - carltonwebb's Album: Random - Picture
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - carltonwebb's Album: Random - Picture

Rear brake lights go through multifunction switch. 3rd brake light comes off a direct splice from switch on pedal.

U did not say if gas or diesel.....With third brake light working and if multifunction switch is ok, I would check the following connectors.

If diesel, under the aux relay box under hood is a round 8 pin connector. There are 2 that look really similar...Check this for corrosion.

If gas, its basically in the same place but square with 12 pins. The splice for the trailer lights is after this connection so its the 1st place to look for problems going by your description imho.

ak-angler 02-05-2011 10:19 PM

Did you check the fuses?

piedpipper5 02-06-2011 05:10 AM

its a gas v8 and Ive checked the fuses that I believe would have been the issue. all are good. Ive also looked under the hood on the drivers side and found to black boxes with relays in both and have pulled them out and looked them over. no corrosion, however Im not 100% sure they are what Im supposed to be looking for. I dont think they had 12 pins. The multifunction switch Im assuming is in the steering column?? If so Ill have to look into that. thanks

projectSHO89 02-06-2011 06:16 AM

Posting electrical problems in the electrical section would get you the fastest help since folks tend to hang out where their interests are highest.

Multi-function switch or it wiring connectors.

Pull the column shrouds and inspect.

rich1zoom 08-03-2014 12:40 PM

No brake lights. Problem solved. 2006 F250 Super Duty. My symptoms started when my truck was fairly new. I had an intermittent warning, TBC FAULT. After 115,000 miles I noticed that sometimes it was hard to get the shifter out of Park once in a while. Then the TBC Fault warning came on almost every time I hit the brakes. Somebody told me I didn't have brake lights including the third light. My flashers and turn signals worked correctly. I saw a goofy guy on You tube playing with his brake light switch located just above the brake pedal. Like him, when I physically turned the switch my brake lights came on. To remove the switch you remove a green safety cover from a clip, remove the clip, slide switch and pedal arm off and disconnect the harness. The only tool used was a small flat screwdriver. My part #F87Z-13480-AA cost just under $30 at the dealership.

Will104 08-05-2014 06:58 PM

hey test the 2 wires closest to the firewall on your brake pedal position switch, one should be constant and the other should get power when you hit the pedal, if you are not getting power at all i would venture a guess its the module its getting and sending power i would move up to the multifunction switch

rich1zoom 08-06-2014 06:17 PM

Thanks Will. I guess I didn't specify that replacing the brake switch fixed my problems. I took the old switch apart, there were three separate contacts. Obviously one is for the brake lights, another must activate the release for the shifter.

keg0177 03-02-2015 10:34 PM

I've had this same "TBC Fault" for a while and it doesn't allow my signals nor brake lights to function. I've checked fuses and the trailer plug and I have yet to find any clear reason, other than get a new one. Has anyone found a way to bypass the TBC to allow functionality of signal lights and brakes lights?

rich1zoom 03-03-2015 05:12 AM

Keg)177. Did you try the brake light switch located under the dash on the brake pedal arm ? That solved all my issues.

Just Strokin 03-03-2015 06:03 AM

Here is the wiring charts...hope it helps

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ad2f70eb7a.jpg

2004 Exterior Lights 1

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8e9d548846.jpg

2004 Exterior Lights 2

projectSHO89 03-03-2015 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by keg0177 (Post 15140779)
I've had this same "TBC Fault" for a while and it doesn't allow my signals nor brake lights to function. I've checked fuses and the trailer plug and I have yet to find any clear reason, other than get a new one. Has anyone found a way to bypass the TBC to allow functionality of signal lights and brakes lights?

The TBC isn't causing your problem. Your problem is a lack of brake lights. If you haven't checked the switch and its circuit yet, you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

keg0177 03-03-2015 01:38 PM

Rish1zoom, I did try that according to info I saw hear. I grabbed it directly and toggled it back and forth but it didn't actuate the brake lights at all