Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum196/)
-   -   Need help choosing what to get. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1034667-need-help-choosing-what-to-get.html)

FordTruckEnthusaist 01-29-2011 05:01 PM

Need help choosing what to get.

I have a 2004 F250 V10, and I was looking into adding a K&N cold air intake, ram short air intake or just a regular performance intake. What are the pros and cons of each, and with a cold air intake is it common for water and such to be taken in since the air box is relocated outside the engine compartment? I've also heard that these effect towing in a negative way, and I've heard they improve towing? And one last thing, is the performance increase worth the 280-300 dollars it costs? Thanks.

Beechkid 02-07-2011 04:30 PM

If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the tech's on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with it’s noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

FordTruckEnthusaist 02-13-2011 10:22 PM

Thanks a lot for the information. So basically any Cold Air Intake, ram short air or performance intake won't do me much good at all, and it'd be just better to get the air filter replacement?

Beechkid 02-14-2011 10:13 AM

Yes- IMHO

Originally Posted by FordTruckEnthusaist (Post 9964892)
Thanks a lot for the information. So basically any Cold Air Intake, ram short air or performance intake won't do me much good at all, and it'd be just better to get the air filter replacement?

DFWBII 02-14-2011 10:41 AM

Air filters

Amen Beechkid. :-jamminwhy people use these k&n filters is beyond me. some even have them mounted IN the engine bay sucking in hot air right from the radiator, what's the point if any?? DUH!!! I'm keeping my BII and '01 1500 Chevy stock,,use an OE air filter, have the hot air hose hooked up for cold weather and the valve is working for when engine warms up then sucking in fresh air thru the grill. k&n a waste but good marketing though. IMHO.

FordTruckEnthusaist 02-14-2011 07:29 PM

Okay cool, won't be getting any of that. What's yalls opinion on throttle body spacers and mass air flow sensor? Worth it?

Beechkid 02-15-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by FordTruckEnthusaist (Post 9968554)
Okay cool, won't be getting any of that. What's yalls opinion on throttle body spacers and mass air flow sensor? Worth it?

Throttle body spacers as far as the concept goes came from the days of carburators....they did work increasing tunnel length slightly which also incresed the fuel mixing with the air, but, with efi...all the fuel is injected into the cylinders, so there is no benefit from that aspect

secondly, there is no greater air flow since the engine is only going to suck in so much air (for the 5.4, 480 cfm is max), adding a spacer increases the length and does nothing for flow, swirl, etc.

DFWBII 02-15-2011 02:27 PM

Beechkid,,, ya got that right too. engineers know whats best. some after market stuff is useless,, IMHO. like the little 'turbo-charger' thingy you put under the carberator,, pos and a waste. if ya want more power,, get a turbo or super-charger eh.