Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   1961 Mercury Unibody. Looking for any helpfull info (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1032325-1961-mercury-unibody-looking-for-any-helpfull-info.html)

dingfangle 01-22-2011 10:13 PM

1961 Mercury Unibody. Looking for any helpfull info

Hi guys, I am new here and am just looking for some info and this seems to be the best place to get it, I hoping that someone can shed a bit of light on what I have found. Please excuse my ignorance and I apologise if I am rambling a bit but I don’t really know much about this truck.

I have found it for sale about an hour from my home but have a few questions and a concern.

First off how rare is it? I can’t seem to find much about it, there is some info for the Ford Unibody. But seems to be very little on the Mercs.
It’s listed as a “1961 mercury heavy half ton” with a 289 V8 and a 3 speed manual. I have no idea what options these trucks were available with from the factory or what the difference a “heavy half” would be.

It also says that it is complete but the engine doesn’t run but I’m not really concerned with that, I’d like to modify the whole truck and make it more of a street version, but I am sure that not running affects it’s value. Or would it be considerably more valuable with a numbers matching engine, if the 289 is the right engine keeping it original?

Would the majority of parts and panels for the Ford’s fit on this truck and is it even feasible to rebuild one? I would think that Mercury parts are quite a bit harder to find. I know there are some places to buy Ford parts, like LMC truck, is there anyone who specializes in the Unibodies or the Mercury version?

My one main concern is that the box behind the rear tire seem to be out of proportion, it just looks too short as if something is out of place. Every picture I can find (mostly of the Ford version) shows the overhang to be longer then this. Was there a longer wheel base/short box option, or is this more likely a long box that some one has hacked up and tried to shorten. Would this be a common mod for a truck like this?

I guess the main question is, is it worth it? I haven’t seen it in person yet but was going to look at it tomorrow, from the pictures it looks to be in decent shape for a 50 year old truck? It is listed for $1000 Canadian. I imagine I could talk him down on the price a little bit.

Thanks for any help.
Adam

http://oi51.tinypic.com/v7goyw.jpg

http://oi51.tinypic.com/1444h2o.jpg

tinman52 01-22-2011 11:00 PM

FREAKY!!!!! Somebody has been busy with the sawzall....
The rear part of the bed has been shortened and re-attached. I wonder why? Otherwise it looks like a pretty decent old truck. And the 289 engine is not original....it should have a 292 Y block V8 or a 6 cyl.

dingfangle 01-22-2011 11:03 PM

cool that's kind of what I figured as it just looks wrong. Thanks for the quick reply.

mt78Lariat 01-22-2011 11:57 PM

It does look like someone had some time on their hands, but if it is in good cond. it looks to have the correct parts on it, example, the doors, notice the body line? The Unibody trucks have different doors than the 61-66 trucks. And then they also made a big back window option that is rare also.

GOT 01-22-2011 11:59 PM

Welcome to the FTE forums from a Canadian Merc driver...that 61 unibody looks unusual, but it could be a short wheelbase and lacking the rear bumper that does that. For some info on 61 Merc pickups check the following link. It may or may not be helpful, because the truck shown in it is the longer wheelbase; nevertheless, the one you're looking at seems to be missing a few inches (at least!) behind the wheels...is there a tailgate? If it seems to otherwise be in good shape and not missing too many parts - even not running- the price is not unreasonable for a Mercury. They're pretty rare nowadays.
1961 Mercury Trucks, Canadian Truck

NumberDummy 01-23-2011 01:16 AM

If in fact a 289, the engine has been swapped. 289's (introduced 1963) were only installed in 1963/68 Passenger Cars, Bronco's, 1965/68 Ranchero's.

These trucks were available with either a 223 I-6, or a 292 2V.

The seller may be confused as to what engine it has. The 292 has the distributer behind the carb, the 289 has it...in front of it.

For further info: mercurypickup.com.

truckrod 01-23-2011 09:44 AM

I would like to have it just for the grille, hood emblems and tailgate, I"d turn my ford into a merc !

dingfangle 01-23-2011 10:01 AM

Thanks guys for the insight so far, I have done a bit more digging and judging by the picture the engine is a 292 not the 289 he has it listed as. So one could assume it's the original engine. I must say this old truck has me completely intrigued, but at the same time kind of worried. I not sure if I am interested if the box has been hacked up and shortened. For those who have asked I am not sure if the tailgate is there or not. I can’t see it in any of the posted photos but could be in the box or his garage perhaps.

kjvforme 01-23-2011 10:29 AM

I would go for it, theyv'e done some of the moding that some people do. It's a mercury M-100 rare down in the US, maybe not up in Canada.

GOT 01-23-2011 10:41 AM

It's tricky to go by photos, so if I were you I'd go look at it. The more I look at that back end the less convinced I am that it's been hacked - I think it looks odd because there's no back bumper. It would be hard to chop a few inches out of the box and keep the folds in the sheet metal lining up properly, as it seems to do. If you have time maybe see if you can find any photos of 61 Ford short wheelbase/short box unibodies - I'd think they would look the same as the Mercs. And offer something lower but realistic..$750? I wouldn't dawdle though, it's probably worth that for parts alone! Speaking of parts, if there is a tailgate, get it, no matter what condition it's in. Fixed up, that would be a really nice ride - and probably the only one like it for a long ways in any direction. Good luck!

dingfangle 01-23-2011 11:14 AM

Ok so all this talk about the tailgate makes me have to ask, first what is one worth in fair condition and second why is it so key and a selling feature (besides the obvious completing of the truck). Are they just really that hard to find?

garbz2 01-23-2011 11:29 AM

It was common to cut down a long bed and install the 6' end caps after rear crash damage.

This is the second Canadian truck i have seen with this done.

Good luck finding a Merc uni tail gate. Figure to pay at least 1000 Canadian for just the gate.

Garbz

37 Ford guy 01-23-2011 11:43 AM

I'm convinced the tail has been bobbed on this one. I have no idea why. I think it started as a long bed. Here are some side shots of some uni shortbeds to compare.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...bodyrancho.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...flamesrear.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...00unibody3.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...odyredwhte.jpg

GOT 01-23-2011 11:59 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/GT/Desktop/images.jpeg[/IMG]Yeah tailgates are hard to find and usually run at least a couple of hundred dollars unless you're lucky enough to get one in an obscure junkyard somewhere - or a farmer's field.
That said, I've looked at some photos of 61 Ford shortboxes and the Merc box is definitely shorter than short! In fact, if you look at the side-on photo there does seem to be something odd in the sheet metal work about 2 or 3 inches from the rear where it looks like someone has tried to match up that line that flares from the front of the box to the back (just below the top of the box). Why anyone would do this is a mystery because it only shortens the box by maybe 4 inches? A possibility is that this truck was rear-ended and the box chopped rather than straightened. Who knows when it's 50 years old? I'm thinking now: not running, possibly rear-ended, mystery bodywork, was the frame shortened, straightened, etc.?...I think I'd save my money for now. It's an attractive price, but I suspect you're looking at least another thousand just to have it on the road, provided there's nothing else seriously wrong such as the transmission, which of course you can't know about if it's not driveable. It's a shame, as they are few and far between. Are you set on a Mercury? I like them because they're a Canadian icon, but there are more Fords available from that era that also look pretty amazing when they're redone - or even as they are! And there are Mercs around. It took me about two years to find one I liked that I could also afford - but came with no tailgate (actually has a Ford one)! I've been looking for THAT item for the last eight months...and that's just the beginning of the list. Fun to drive though. So if you decide to pass on this one, another will come along, not to worry.

GOT 01-23-2011 12:03 PM

ps ignore the image info at the beginning of my last message - tried to upload an image but didn't work - and I see another member has included some.