Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   British Columbia (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum165/)
-   -   Concerned about Future? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1031687-concerned-about-future.html)

four-sixty-power 01-20-2011 10:11 PM

Concerned about Future?

Has anyone found a positive outlook on the future from any of the......re-organizational or doomsayer groups on the 'net?

Not looking for any political or religious toned links, more so the practical solutions that may take some co-operative effort.

All I found were these very depressing links, kind of a review now:

People won't change if it is presented to them this seriously, we have to be positive and optimistic about the future, the audience(me and you) must feel engaged in the dialogue, these make me feel like I am being "talked down to" even though I can follow along just fine, especially because I get the feeling they assume everyone that watches these will be as smart as they are(still questionable), they should have dumbed it down a little as it should be watched by the masses around the world that were not given the education to know who all these people are that they talk about and big words they throw around:

5 minute trailer of their new movie out now and availabe for free downloading if you check the description, I'm going to wait a week and see what I can find before diving into it:

removed

1 hour & 37 minute of boring monotone voiceover text & graphics (I feel like I'm back in a bad highschool class about to fall asleep on my desk from how little the teacher cared in his voice about the subject)
-about how we all made the wrong choices to get here, blah, blah, blah,

removed

Oh by the way, these were zeit geist links,

Please please please if you find ANYTHING with a positive spin related to how we can improve this system we are stuck in, post it here, thank you.

P.S. I've not stopped looking, if I find anything positive I will share it here too.

P.P.S. I posted this in GNAC as well hoping to get more responses from the broader membership.

Mr. Fixit 01-21-2011 12:06 PM

four sixty:

I'm a "retired" high school Biology teacher in his mid 60s who comes from a central European background, so you can probably guess what my stance on the dilemma (the state of the planet and humanity) is.

One of the central tenants of our understanding of Population Growth is the work of Malthus - he was a Brit interested in the economics of the planet and lived about 250 years ago. Many text books, aimed at students of course, tended to sanitize his theory implying that Man is different from all other organisms in this world and that the Sun was supplying an practically endless energy to keep the food-chains going indefinitely. Malthusian theory states that all organisms have the ability to overrun the planet during huge population growth, inevitably they use up all resources, decline and become extinct. The truth is, he was probably correct that the planet is finite and has changed enormously since the Industrial Revolution began. We are at 7 billion people now and will plateau at about 10 billion (as birds have)
You and almost every person who has been through high school knows this but we have shown no interest in changing our attitudes and lifestyles (myself included)

We are largely greedy competitive, perhaps fascinating but increasingly debt ridden, little apes. Until we show interest in changing ourselves, the future looks bleak.

Why do I have a Ford F250 with and enormous 460 engine? Why do I drive my wife's LandRover instead of something economical on fuel? Why do my two grown children not have vehicles even though I offered to buy them a car each?

The problem lies mostly in the lack of proper leadership by the older generation - The infamous 'Boomers' (myself). If we would show the way, others would follow...

A wonderful student of mine, who is now a great physician, told me 25 years ago that Canada was in an unique position to steer global societies in a better direction but we were doing nothing. We would become irrelevant, he said prophetically. Here we are, obsessed with hockey, beer and whether or not Gordon Campbell will change his mind, all the while ignoring what is obviously important.

There is always hope!

Cheers

Pavel

PS Karel Capec wrote "War with the Newts" and "RUR" in the 1930s. He said it all then. He was the Czech writer who coined the word: "Robot"

Mr. Fixit 01-22-2011 11:13 AM

Foursixty:

Could not find your post in the GNAC - only found "Use of language and meanings... ( 1 2)"

I was hoping someone else would chime in' with their view but alas.... no. If no one replies to your thread by the end of today, I think you will have your answer about finding something positive about the future.
Permit me to summarize my verbose earlier comments. It up to you and I to make positive contributions.

Pavel

four-sixty-power 01-22-2011 05:44 PM

Thank you for the well thought out reply Mr. Fixit

I could have sworn I posted it in GNAC the same night as this one but I didn't, it is posted there now too, hoping I get some more input into this subject.

I agree it all starts with ourselves and how we can change how we live. How much do we really need to survive and thrive? Not much but sadly most people do not realize that.

four-sixty-power 01-23-2011 12:04 AM

Apparently I did post it the same night in GNAC and it was removed by a Moderator.

When I posted it today in GNAC, the videos were removed by a Moderator and it got moved to the "Club FTE Members Only" and I have a trial membership now, so my outlook is brightening.

I'm going to try editing my original post above and take out the videos.