Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   fan, water pump remopval 85 f150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1031511-fan-water-pump-remopval-85-f150.html)

mattthegreat 01-20-2011 01:00 PM

fan, water pump remopval 85 f150

hi guys 1985 f150 I6 300

how do you remove the thermo clutch fan, atached pullys and then the water pump?
i have removed every bolt posible to get the pullys and fan off so I can get at the water pump how do you remove the fan, clutch and water pullys. ?

thank you

bashby 01-20-2011 01:06 PM

If you have the 4 bolts out that go int the end of the water pump shaft it should come off with a little help from a hammer.

nolan62 01-20-2011 01:45 PM

The clutch actually screws onto the water pump shaft. There is a special tool set to take it off. You can borrow/rent it from auto parts stores or just buy one like I did. One tool has a big "U" shaped end that goes over the 4 bolts of the water pump pulley. The other tool looks like a really big wrench. It goes on the clutch shaft were it screws into the water pump shaft. Importnat note: It is threaded backwards. Turning it to the left will tighten NOT loosen it.

1986F150six 01-20-2011 01:45 PM

Look to see if there is a large nut holding the fan to the pulley. It will be on the engine side of the thermo clutch assembly. The threads are reverse. There is a special wrench, but you can loosen the nut with a good pair of channel locks. Don't loosen the belts until after you have loosened the nut. The belts will keep the pulley from turning while the nut is being loosened.

Remember... reverse threads!

Looks like nolan62 beat me to the punch!

bashby 01-20-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nolan62 (Post 9852790)
The clutch actually screws onto the water pump shaft. There is a special tool set to take it off. You can borrow/rent it from auto parts stores or just buy one like I did. One tool has a big "U" shaped end that goes over the 4 bolts of the water pump pulley. The other tool looks like a really big wrench. It goes on the clutch shaft were it screws into the water pump shaft. Importnat note: It is threaded backwards. Turning it to the left will tighten NOT loosen it.

On an 85? 2 against 1 so I guess I'm wrong. My 86 F350's 351w has the old style like I was talking about but the half tons changed a lot of stuff like that before the emissions exempt 1 tons.

nolan62 01-20-2011 03:09 PM

1985 F150 4.9L

I6 Fan Clutch Picture from RockAuto.com

V8 Fan Clutch Picture from RockAuto.com

The I6 uses the screw on type and the V8 uses a 4 bolt unit. Right?

mattthegreat 01-20-2011 09:54 PM

thanks guys, I will just have to work at it tomorow then, lordco dosent have the right tool so I guess its plubers wrench and elbow greese.

reroy 10-25-2013 06:06 PM

Fan Clutch Removal

Hey Guys, I just got done taking the fan clutch off my 1986, 300 six engine.
I messed around and fiddled around and got frustrated. So I ordered a wrench of the internet. It was the wrong size. So I ordered another one. This set of wrenches worked "slicker than snot on a door knob". One wrench is U shaped and it has a square hole in it , so a guy can put a half inch drive breaker bar on it. The other wrench fits over the fan clutch nut. On my fan shrowd it says in big letters " Fan clutch is left hand thread" The big U shaped wrench fits over the bolts that holds the fan pulley on. I got those two wrenches set up, and took a claw hammer and gave the fan nut wrench a spank, and she let loose. It sure goes good when you have the proper tool.
On my tool set it is stamped "Performance Tool" and there is a number under the name....W80585..

I'm trying to think of things with left hand thread, there aren't many that I have ran across in my life. I was a plumber for 31 years, and I am here to tell you that the nut on a toilet tank lever is left hand thread. And many years ago I had a Plymouth Road Runner and the lug nuts on the passenger side were left hand threads.

My Ford F250 project has been a year in the making now, but all I have left to do is brakes, shocks, exhaust pipe, and a pioneer sound system. And everything under the hood made out of rubber is going to get changed out.
Old man winter is just around the corner here in North Dakota and I don't have a heated shop, so I will do the best I can with what I have to work with. There are so many guys that want to buy this truck from me, it's not for sale. I'm 58 years old, and I'm thinking that this will be my last truck.

Enjoy the last few days of October you guys..

LeRoy