Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Rear Hatch Broken Lock Fix - Pics Inside (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1029736-rear-hatch-broken-lock-fix-pics-inside.html)

EXv10 07-28-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by NikiLynn (Post 14539743)
Ok. Well, I had a brain fart and realize that I don't NEED the key cylinder in working order for the door to lock as long as the actuator is in working order, which it is. I already ordered the key cylinder, so it will be a project for...someday. Thanks for letting me 'talk it out' to myself on the forum. :D

But how are you going to get in there when the actuator goes?

mecdac 07-28-2014 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 14469262)
Maybe not, did you see my write-up on that? It might be in the folder.

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 14539599)
Soak it in one one those "super" penetrating oils overnight and use a little pick to scrape the rust etc, it should free up...........mine did, see my thread on it (should be in the tech folder).

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 14540573)
Yep it's in my thread.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5068bee69d.gif

Look at me now!

:-X03 }> :-X04 :-X06 :-missingt

EXv10 07-28-2014 06:10 PM

Medac; is that your Christmas costume, or did you just borrow it?:-missingt

NikiLynn 07-28-2014 06:25 PM

Valid point, I hadn't considered that. I ordered the door cylinder, so we'll get to that project sooner than later, I suppose. Just glad the door actually locks now. Anyone chance out the cylinder back there before? It can be as easy as slipping off the metal wire clip, and then replacing, right? Didn't want to tinker with it too much until I got the part in.

NikiLynn 07-28-2014 06:31 PM

Valid point, I hadn't considered that. I ordered the door cylinder, so we'll get to that project sooner than later, I suppose. Just glad the door actually locks now. Anyone chance out the cylinder back there before? It can be as easy as slipping off the metal wire clip, and then replacing, right? Didn't want to tinker with it too much until I got the part in.

NikiLynn 07-28-2014 06:35 PM

Valid point, I hadn't considered that. I ordered the door cylinder, so I'll get to that project sooner than later, I suppose. Just glad the door actually locks now. Anyone change out the cylinder back there before? It can't be as easy as slipping off the metal wire clip, and then replacing, right? Didn't want to tinker with it too much until I got the part in.

EXv10 07-28-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by NikiLynn (Post 14540376)

Yep it's in my thread.

David - WI 08-08-2014 11:52 AM

Hi,

I registered here just to say "thank you" because I've been able fix a couple of common Excursion problems (door ajar light, stuck hatch lock, ripped copper strip in the map lights, found keyless entry code) with help from you guys.

Anyway, I got the hatch lock out and spent an hour soaking and poking at it... and finally took it apart and found the brass tumblers or pins were trashed. I spent another hour and got all (6?) to move but they wouldn't "spring back" so now the lock stayed "unlocked" when you pulled the key out.

As a long shot I googled for an Excursion lock cylinder and found a guy on Ebay (wolfsecurityhardware) selling complete sets of ignition, door, and hatch locks with new keys OR the individual locks and for $9 extra he'll key them to match your key by sending him a hi-res photo of your key. :-jammin

I have no affiliation with him and I just paid the extra $9 this morning so I don't have the lock yet... but for about $35 I wish I wouldn't have wasted hours trying to free up the old one.

I'm just posting because I'm sure there are other people who's locks are as corroded as mine who don't want extra keys just for the hatch.

David

Apocalypse 08-08-2014 01:23 PM

That's not a bad deal really... I have a southern truck so no corrosion, but if I needed them all done that's a hell of a deal!

David - WI 08-11-2014 11:04 AM

Worked out great, couldn't be happier. New lock, gasket, and a pair of non-PATS door keys that are keyed to match my door/ignition locks for $35.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0c2ec442f3.jpg

I blasted the rust off the old "arm" and gave it a naval jelly soak and coat of aluminum paint... then popped it onto the new lock.

(Yikes... I didn't intend the photo to be so huge!)

mrc00l88 03-26-2016 10:32 PM

How does the key lock work? Is the lock cylinder just connected to the rod with the 'clip'? I bought a new lock cylinder (I bought truck with the lock all corroded - so not sure if the lock worked before) but if I turn the key to lock or unlock it doesn't do anything just pushes the rod a bit in and out of its hole? I can't find any diagrams or anything online, any help would be appreciated.