Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   I'm really interested in going BIO (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1028897-im-really-interested-in-going-bio.html)

slenser 01-12-2011 11:48 PM

I'm really interested in going BIO

Hi guys!

I have an 04 6.0 Excursion that I would love to run Bio diesel in. I have only been looking around the last couple of days at this and I can't quite find some answers.

Do I have to do anything to my truck to run Bio fuel, either mixed or straight?

Many people are making this themselves. What is the start-up cost and where can I get the lowest price, yet decent quality equipment to start this myself?

Are there any laws to watch out for or permits to get to do this at home?

Thanks guys! I'll be continuing to read through and I hope to start running bio soon!

Sam

binuya 01-13-2011 01:13 AM

Here's a good place for you to start:How to Make Biodiesel at Home

Your rig is compatible with bio. Some people have been known to have filter clogging issues due to biodiesels strong solvent nature. It will dissolve any build up in your fuel system and deposit it on your filter. Just carry a spare. I didn't have this issue though. It just depends on the condition of your fuel system to begin with.

Before you dive in, make sure you have a source for your WVO.

slenser 01-13-2011 09:16 AM

Thanks Alvin, I'll give that some reading!

Ignitiondelay 02-28-2011 09:10 AM

if you prep the fuel before hand then you won't have to modifiy anything. there is more than just filtering though

binuya 02-28-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ignitiondelay (Post 10029930)
if you prep the fuel before hand then you won't have to modifiy anything. there is more than just filtering though

Aside from making the biodiesel itself, what 'prep' are you referring to?

Ignitiondelay 02-28-2011 11:26 AM

I stole this from wikipedia. It's a good place to start looking.

Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, propyl or ethyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, animal fat (tallow)) with an alcohol.

Biodiesel is meant to be used in standard diesel engines and is thus distinct from the vegetable and waste oils used to fuel converted diesel engines. Biodiesel can be used alone, or blended with petrodiesel. Biodiesel can also be used as a low carbon alternative to heating oil.

By prep. i meant a chemical reaction

binuya 02-28-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ignitiondelay (Post 10030475)
I stole this from wikipedia. It's a good place to start looking.

Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, propyl or ethyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, animal fat (tallow)) with an alcohol.

Biodiesel is meant to be used in standard diesel engines and is thus distinct from the vegetable and waste oils used to fuel converted diesel engines. Biodiesel can be used alone, or blended with petrodiesel. Biodiesel can also be used as a low carbon alternative to heating oil.

By prep. i meant a chemical reaction

Yes. That chemical reaction is called transesterification. I make biodiesel, along with many others here in this particular sub forum.

BuckHammer 03-02-2011 06:32 PM

Will Biodiesel run alright in a '96 7.3L? I'm interested in getting into Bio, too, but I don't want to destroy my engine in the process.

fabmandelux 03-02-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BuckHammer (Post 10042346)
Will Biodiesel run alright in a '96 7.3L? I'm interested in getting into Bio, too, but I don't want to destroy my engine in the process.

Try it, you'll love it! As long as the bio is made right you will have no problems. Check out this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ne-levels.html

This is a new user of bio and he is very happy!