Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   2004 6.0 FICM, NEED HELP (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1028784-2004-6-0-ficm-need-help.html)

UGA25 01-12-2011 06:59 PM

2004 6.0 FICM, NEED HELP

I just recently had my truck in for head gasket replacement. $4700 later I have a new truck it seems, complete with ARP head studs and a Hypertech tuner that has improved fuel mileage beyond 19 MPG!!!!!
All is great................ Except, I apparently now have a FICM that is going bad. Can someone tell me what the signs are of the FICM going bad. I am told that cold weather starts are a sign, and I had a heck of a time getting it to start the last few mornings with the weather in the 30's.
Also, what will it hurt to drive it that way for about a month until the funds are recovered froom the above mentioned....

thanks in advance for any help guys...
<!-- / message -->

powerstroke72 01-12-2011 07:36 PM

Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

amadas350 01-14-2011 09:34 AM

mine at start up would be blowing black smoke initally. you could rev it up and kind of had skipping feel about it. about being strapped for cash, i was the same way. tech in virginia (that just replaced my egr/oil cooler) told me if i got aFICM he would reflash if for free, but i was leaving for ga the next day. i chanced it, and ran it for another month. it finally went south and would not idle.

new ficm $425+$160 flash

npccpartsman 01-14-2011 10:06 AM

Check the 6.0 tech folder at the beginning of this forum for the FICM test procedure. It can be done with a DVOM and a little help from a friend to turn the key. Anything below 45v and you have a bad FICM.

NEMOTORCARS 01-14-2011 10:24 AM

Signs are Hard Starting, Shaking and Missing at idle dumping out Black Smoke, Loss of Power. The truck will seem like it is running on 4-6 cylinders and skipping. We have a 2005 Ford F250 6.0L with 350k miles and we are on our 3rd FICM.

da-bees 01-14-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by NEMOTORCARS (Post 9823237)
Signs are Hard Starting, Shaking and Missing at idle dumping out Black Smoke, Loss of Power. The truck will seem like it is running on 4-6 cylinders and skipping. We have a 2005 Ford F250 6.0L with 350k miles and we are on our 3rd FICM.

Did you replace the FICM at first sign of trouble each time or did you continue to drive it ( how far ) one or more times? How many injectors have required replacement ?

NEMOTORCARS 01-14-2011 11:21 AM

We just replaced it each time, it was cheaper that way for us because we run the truck runs interstate on a weekly basis. If it goes down on the highway and we need to get towed with a 5th wheel trailer its twice the cost of the FICM. First time, we replace 2 injectors, 2nd time 1 injector and the last time none. The issues is if you don't just replace it this motor is so fn sensitive you just end up blowing injectors and make a $500 issue $2,000 quickly.

Yeuri Bienvenido Guevara 11-17-2019 05:43 PM

Ayuda con mi ford

Estoy teniendo problemas con mi ford f250 2005. Escribo en español porque no hablo mucho ingles. Mi ford un dia mientras conducia cai en un agujero en la carretera y tuvo un impacto fuerte. Creo que con el impacto la bateria pudo haber chocado del capo..Pues la camioneta se apago y no ha vuelto a encender. Cuando ponemos scaner dice. Injector short to ground y injector low voltage. Mientras realizaba la prueba a la ficm pude notar que si le hago tierra de manera externa digase poniendo un alambre a lanparte exterior de la ficm el voltage me marca 47v pues cuando le quito la tierra no me marca voltage. Que puede ser eso?

bismic 11-17-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yeuri Bienvenido Guevara (Post 18954580)
Estoy teniendo problemas con mi ford f250 2005. Escribo en español porque no hablo mucho ingles. Mi ford un dia mientras conducia cai en un agujero en la carretera y tuvo un impacto fuerte. Creo que con el impacto la bateria pudo haber chocado del capo..Pues la camioneta se apago y no ha vuelto a encender. Cuando ponemos scaner dice. Injector short to ground y injector low voltage. Mientras realizaba la prueba a la ficm pude notar que si le hago tierra de manera externa digase poniendo un alambre a lanparte exterior de la ficm el voltage me marca 47v pues cuando le quito la tierra no me marca voltage. Que puede ser eso?

Google translation ...... (traducción de Google)

I'm having problems with my ford f250 2005. I write in Spanish because I don't speak much English. My ford one day while driving fell into a hole in the road and had a strong impact. I think that with the impact the battery could have collided with the bonnet ... Well, the truck went out and has not turned on again. When we put scaner says. Injector short to ground and injector low voltage. While doing the test to the ficm I could see that if I make an earth externally, I would say putting a wire to the outer edge of the ficm the voltage marks me 47v because when I remove the earth it does not mark me voltage. What could that be?

jdw1 11-17-2019 09:44 PM

Maybe this will help.

https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm...rod/prd105.htm

https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm...id=8&mode=prod

Hartwig 11-17-2019 11:21 PM

Bad FICM? Go to 1:20