Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Throttle body questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1027038-throttle-body-questions.html)

mudfuel06 01-07-2011 04:35 PM

Throttle body questions

I have a 2008 3v V10. I got a code P115E saying to replace the throttle body due to buildup on it. Ford says to replace it, one of my good friends who is probably the best mechanic I know said to take my chances and clean it. I took the intake system apart and cleaned it, wasn't too bad for 86,000 miles, but I don't think it hurt to clean it. Has anyone else had to do this on a newer truck yet? Also, when I opened the air filter up, I noticed it had a K&N filter that had absolutley no oil on it. The manifold behind the throttle body had a ton of dirt in it, could this have caused the code? I oiled the filter and am hoping this will fix the problem. Any ideas?

dkf 01-07-2011 07:00 PM

I can see how dirt getting past the filter could cause problems. I would pull the intake tubes off and clean all the dirt out the best you can. I'd also clean the mass air sensor using some CRC mass air sensor cleaner. (follow directions on can) Then I'd get rid of the K&N filter and put in an OE replacement paper filter. It sounds like the area you drive your truck in is somewhat dusty or dirty and you'd be better off with a paper filter. Clear the DTC and see if the code comes back. Its actually good a code was thrown to bring this to your attention.:-X22

captchas 01-07-2011 07:18 PM

got to back up dkf here,heave that senser fouling K&N for a stocker, clean the TB and mass air clear the faults and drive, chances are in your pocket it works,
yes i have done it many times and had it work, even in the dealeship i used to work in to prove my point to the manager.

Fordfanatic4life 01-07-2011 10:18 PM

as stated above, throw that POS K@N filter away and go get a new OEM Motorcraft filter.

mudfuel06 01-08-2011 07:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. The K&N was on the truck when I bought it, believe me I wouldn't put one of them on. I'll pick up a can of the MAF cleaner and get that taken care of.

captchas 01-08-2011 09:35 AM

take the TB off the motor and give it a very good cleaning, chances are there is more gunk under the plates then out side of them,plus cleaning on the motor will kind of flood the motor on start up.
clean the mass air with the proper cleaning or brake clean, use a choke and carb cleaner on the tb, for a note it took 2 cans to clean mine.

when your done for a safty net, add a bottle of chevron teckron "spelling is wrong i know" it will help keep the build ups out of the system. and is the very same product the dealer sells with the factory brand name on it. heck even harely sells it with their name on it as a fuel system cleaner.

mudfuel06 01-08-2011 02:17 PM

I cleaned the throttle body, off the truck, and cleared the codes. Drove it around for a couple of hours and the code hasn't returned, (knocking on wood). I threw a bottle of Techron in to try to keep it clean. Thanks for all of the ideas.

dkf 01-08-2011 07:10 PM

Sounds like your good to go.:-X22

I have a K&N filter (FIPK kit) on my 04' and have the prefilter wrap for it. When oiled properly the K&N will work fine. I've been monitoring my intake tube for dust on regular basis and I'm not seeing any. In certain conditions the K&N is ok however in some operating conditions the OE paper filter is much better. Your are not losing any noticeable power going back to a stock paper filter.

captchas 01-09-2011 02:48 PM

good point dkf! biggest problem has always been after some one cleans them and over oils it.

still i'll admit i'm a old fart and spent a lot of time in dealership shops as a mechanic. 42 years to be frank. where you say under certain conditions stock is better. is 100% correct. if i lived in a dessert or sandy road area i would sure stay stock and add a homemade foam prefilter

mudfuel06 01-10-2011 06:52 AM

When or if, I do an intake upgrade, I will replace the factory filter with one of the dry-flow filters. I have never been a big fan of the oiled filters, just too many horror story's of them getting over oiled and clogging up sensors. On a side note, if I get a P060C, Internal Control Module Main Processor Performance, does this mean my PCM is on it's way out or that my tuner is corrupting the file during download?

krewat 01-10-2011 10:48 AM

That P060C, I'd definitely check with your tuner dealer. What brand is it?

mudfuel06 01-10-2011 11:12 AM

It's a Bullydog GT. It worked fine on the chevy I had, but before I installed it on my Ford, I updated it. Maybe I got a bad file?

dkf 01-10-2011 11:30 AM

I'd highly recommend getting rid of that Bully Dog tuner. They do not seem to work for squat on Fords and the threads on problems or codes with tuners usually have Bully Dog in them. You could give me one of them and there is no way in hell I would run it on my truck. I'd much rather run with the stock tune and I don't have much good to say about Fords stock tunes.