Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aerostar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum33/)
-   -   Aerostar XL; designs, fitting for camping? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1026603-aerostar-xl-designs-fitting-for-camping.html)

ThomJan 01-06-2011 10:44 AM

Aerostar XL; designs, fitting for camping?

My wife & I just got our Aerostar and want to set it up for camping on the road. We'd love to see some basic designs for setting up bed/storage, etc.
Thanx.

96_4wdr 01-06-2011 04:46 PM

we used our Extended for several years.
put a queen hvy duty air mattress in back with all seats removed.
used 12v cooler with low voltage cutoff to save batt. fold lid plastic large containers which we set on the front seats at night
made curtains with light tent nylon and hvy duty velcro.
used camping cook stove.
works well for 2 people

xlt4wd90 01-07-2011 02:13 AM

If your van did not come with the seat/bed option, I would try to find a set of those in your local salvage yard. They fold down to a bed that can sleep at least 2 (but they're heavy). Since they sit on their own legs above the floor, they leave some room for storing stuff below them. If your van is an extended length, you get even more space in the back for more "stuff".

429CJ-3X2 01-07-2011 07:36 AM

There is an Aerostar in a local salvage yard in Des Moines, Ia, with the seat/bed seats in a light brown/tan color.
Same yard has one with the second row bucket seats in the same color, too.
This was as of Wed, Jan 5,2011.

ThomJan 01-07-2011 09:31 AM

Thx.

Originally Posted by 96_4wdr (Post 9785278)
we used our Extended for several years.
put a queen hvy duty air mattress in back with all seats removed.
used 12v cooler with low voltage cutoff to save batt. fold lid plastic large containers which we set on the front seats at night
made curtains with light tent nylon and hvy duty velcro.
used camping cook stove.
works well for 2 people

Our van is a basic XL. I haven't measured the back area yet. We do have removable seats, though, so hopefully an air matteress or even our folding cots might fit. I like the idea of a plug in cooler. The curtain idea is good, too! We have a couple of regular coolers and a Coleman gas camp stove. We also have four doogies to pack along with us.
So, we're in the beginning stages of getting road ready.
Thanks, postmaster, for the advice. Your moniker is a bit curious to me, in that I'm on disability retirement from the USPS and my wife is a former rural carrier.

xlt4wd90 01-07-2011 11:48 PM

ThomJan, the "Postmaster" designation means that he is an all-knowing master who has shared his knowledge through his thousands of posts. Of course, I don't know what his occupation is.

ThomJan 01-08-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by xlt4wd90 (Post 9792525)
ThomJan, the "Postmaster" designation means that he is an all-knowing master who has shared his knowledge through his thousands of posts. Of course, I don't know what his occupation is.

Yeah, thanks, that, too, of course. Another moniker for that particular position could be maitre d' postes, Post Meister(in), le Comte de Cartes Postale, Head Scrivener, E-Bard, Lord of Ascii, Baron of Electrons, or you name it, right? ( :> =:-X21

taurus8 01-12-2011 02:27 PM

For the amount of cost you may incur in modifying the van...could you purchase and tow a small camper instead?

DMTR 01-19-2011 12:09 AM

I use my A-Star for camping all the time. I put in a "platform" made of reinforced plywood. It is a queen size bed when folded down and a bench when upright. It is mounted on four rollers so it can be converted back and forth even when two people sit on it! Cooler, plastic cargo boxes, suitcases fit right under it. Also plenty of room for paddles (kayaks go on top). 1" thick styrofoam insulation all around. We slept in the van at the Grand Canyon in 30F and it was quiet comfy inside. The whole "platform" can be put in/out in 15 minutes and cost about 30 CDN. It is bloody simple and works awsome.
My A-Star is a short cargo van. You have 2-3 extra feet to play with. I'd put a cupboard and shelves on the back.
I am workin' on a "tailbox" that will fit into the hitch receiver. That is where I'm gonna keep my generator and firewood. (Messy/stinky stuff that I don't want inside).
Also I made an awning that can be attached to my "skates" (see my albums).
Writing all this stuff makes me really want to go camping. Can't wait 'till spring...
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - DMTR's Album: Custom made bench/bed - Picture