Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Misfire of #2 cylinder (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1026416-misfire-of-2-cylinder.html)

erpshouse 01-05-2011 06:24 PM

Misfire of #2 cylinder

Hi, I new to the site and needed some help with my 05 f-150 4.6 I have a misfire code on cylinder #2.. I has 135,000 miles on it. I first changed all the plugs. #2 plug was badly damaged. Prong was melted, looked bad. Though I had it figured out. No such luck! Next was the coil pack. Nada. Pull the plug again tonight, thinking I damaged it putting it in. NO
Plug was slighty wet and black with soot. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Greg B 01-05-2011 06:38 PM

Possibly a fuel injector is dumping too much fuel if it was wet and sooty.

mercman86 01-05-2011 07:27 PM

Bad injector. But to be safe, I would check the cylinder compression especially since you said that the plug looked damaged. Also, to make sure that injector is getting power from the ECM, rent or buy a NOID light set. It plugs into the injector harness and flashes to simulate the injector pulsing while the engine is running. I got my noid light set from autozone for 25.00. Had this problem on my parents olds. Misfire code popped up but I had great spark and compression.

erpshouse 01-08-2011 07:45 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I will post again on the results...Thanks again

Person25 01-08-2011 08:08 PM

Definatly sounds like an injector. Ive never had the injectors apart on the 4.6l but they should have screens on the inward flow side. they could be clogged. Most of the time you can buy screens or if you are careful and have the right tools you can just clean them yourself. But, it could be a bad injector all together. Either way, detonation of a spark plug is bad, it will detonate again. The wet plug is showing us the mixture in the cylinder is fat, a symptom of injectors not dumping fuel at the proper time, or dumping too much full and is precurser to detonation of the plug....definatly let us know what you find

mercman86 01-09-2011 02:41 PM

Let us know how it turns out. Detontaion is nothing to ignore, next time it could blow a hole in the piston!

erpshouse 01-17-2011 08:00 PM

Oh NO

Sorry for the long delay. Special order on the fuel injector. Who knew.
Replaced it out this past weekend. NO luck... Buddy brought over a compression tester. #28 in cylinder 2. What the ...........??? I think this is major and getting out of my league of repairs. Any thoughts??

Greg B 01-18-2011 06:47 PM

Any oil smoke with this? It might be time to get ahold of a bore scope and have a peak into that cylinder. 28 lbs. definately smells problematic. My bro-in-law had a plug that did that and he had a cylinder that was trashed. He wound up replacing the engine. We surmised that a detonation took place in that cylinder and the plug came apart. The electrode was missing. After looking in the cylinder with the bore scope we found out where that electrode went. Not a pretty sight. Not cheap either.