Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Seat Heater Switch '02-'05 Explorer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1023663-seat-heater-switch-02-05-explorer.html)

friscofordguy 12-28-2010 02:58 PM

Seat Heater Switch '02-'05 Explorer

Replaced the seat heater switch on the driver's side in my wife's '04 Explorer Limited today. Button is with the other seat controls on the side of the seat near the door. A couple of screws removed releases the molding covering all of the switches/levers.

Anyway, the part number on the switch is no longer valid as I found out at the Sam Pack 5-Star parts shop in Farmer's Branch today. Correct P/N is 3L2Z-14D694-AA. Cost was $61+tax. You can get it less expensively from one of the online guys if you want to wait on/pay for shipping. With shipping the price would've been about the same.

Reason for replacement was the darn thing started sticking and my mother drove while visiting in the summer and accidently hit the button. Couldn't get it turned off while vehicle was on and made it for extremely hot DFW summer day. Took it out then and didn't have good reason to replace until winter hit DFW this weekend.

edbelfourno1 03-14-2011 10:51 AM

Hard to change out?

The driver switch is stuck on mine as well, have been calling around to get one. Are the screws on the side or the front to allow the access? Thanks

friscofordguy 03-14-2011 07:05 PM

the plastic trim on the side of the seat is released by 2 screws: 1 at the back, bottom, exterior corner of the seat. You have to push the leather out of the way slightly. The second is under the plastic trim just ahead of where the seat heater switch is. Feel around for that one.

alwayshear 03-14-2011 07:25 PM

My driver's side heater switch sticks in the on position as well. Thanks for the information.:-X22

friscofordguy 03-14-2011 07:48 PM

one thing i forgot is that the seat adjustment "knobs" have to be popped off as well. Just takes a little force, but they do come off allow the trim to be removed once the screws are out.

ORJHAWK 05-16-2011 06:24 PM

Thank you for the assistance. same problem here, switch sticks on, buns burn. the rear screw is easy enough, but how in the heck do you get that first screw out? there is not much room, you can't see it, and mine seems frozen. what type of screwdriver (or other) is needed? thank you again.

ORJHAWK 05-16-2011 06:31 PM

Sorry, I forgot to ask if anyone has any advice on where to get the switch itself? So far the best I have found is $46+12 (shipping), so $58. thanks if you have any better sources!

shorod 05-16-2011 09:43 PM

Have you removed the seat from the vehicle or are you trying this with the seat still in the vehicle?

-Rod

ORJHAWK 05-16-2011 10:15 PM

I am trying with seat still in vehicle...it seemed overly involved to have to take the seat out just to get to this one screw. I was able to gently bend the trim forward (with the rear screw out) enough to disconnect the switch from the connector, and push the switch out. Thanks for your thoughts though!