Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Power steering leak... sensor on high pressure line? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1017782-power-steering-leak-sensor-on-high-pressure-line.html)

staysbroken 12-08-2010 12:17 PM

Power steering leak... sensor on high pressure line?

I think I've tracked my power steering leak to some type of sensor on the pressure line, close to where it connects to the steering box: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=52761
I assume this is a pressure sensor? I got no CEL or anything like that when the fluid had leaked down to the level that the pump started whining pretty badly though. As far as I can tell by looking at pictures, the parts store replacement pressure lines do not have this sensor, or any provision to connect a sensor to it: Advance Auto Parts: Power Steering Pressure Hose by Powercraft - Part 71878

Anyone run into this issue before? I may just put a replacement line on there and leave the sensor plug hanging and see what happens...

Thanks!

ranger pat 12-08-2010 04:32 PM

The sensor is a pressure monitor that will kick up the idle speed when turning sharply at idle, like parking. It is only on 2.3L, as the V-6's have enough torque at idle to run the p/s pump. If the sensor is leaking, but not the line itself, try putting a plug in it to see if the leak goes away. You might have to kick the throttle a little when parking or turning sharply while at idle.

g_k50 12-09-2010 12:25 AM

Try the Ford OEM version. yeah it cost more but you know it's going to work or you'll be refunded and re-parted.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

staysbroken 12-09-2010 07:08 AM

Would either of you happen to know if the OEM hose and the sensor are one piece (for $60, I would hope so...), or if the sensor is a separate unit that attaches like an oil pressure sender?

Thanks

g_k50 12-24-2010 12:54 AM

On my 1990 Bronco the fitting was on the hose but I had to screw the sensor back in.

michigan66 12-24-2010 01:09 AM

The sensor can be purchased separately. Check LMC truck. You may want to call them to see if the hose for your truck has the connector for the sensor. I am assuming you have the 2.3 L engine and your truck is somewhere in the 1990 to 1997 range.

It would help if you included info such as year, engine and related information in your signature.

Danger_Dave 12-24-2010 08:28 AM

that pressure switch is also one of the parameters for the air conditioner, along with
the wide open throttle cutout.
if that detects too much pressure the ecu will turn off the a/c compressor momentarily.
this will reduce load on the engine so that it does not stall,, i.e. parking lots.
at least thats what the service manual says.
sure would be alot nicer if that switch was actually a nanny that tells you if you run out of fluid so that you do not fry your power steering system.

staysbroken 01-07-2011 04:40 PM

It's a '97 2.3, as is indicated in my signature.

I picked up the parts store replacement hose for about $20. Evidently it does have a threaded hole for the sensor to be screwed in, but it came with a little plug for applications that don't use the sensor. I think it may even be the sensor itself that's leaking, and not the hose, but I haven't yet been able to get it off. Nor have I been able to unhook the old hose from the steering box. :-X09

I've been trying to first unhook what I assume to be a return line from the steering box in hopes that doing so will make it easier to get a wrench on the pressure line. I can't seem to put enough torque on the return line wedged down between the p/s pump and wheel well though, so I think I'll try and find a longer set of box end wrenches and try again. I can see the fitting by looking above the tire through the wheel well, but the brake line is in the way of getting a wrench in there. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

staysbroken 01-12-2011 10:38 AM

Well, I got a set of crow's foot wrenches, and still no luck getting the hose off the steering box. Something is preventing the wrench from grabbing the whole width of the fitting, and it just slips off. I bet it would be a lot easier if I pulled off the p/s pump itself first to get better access, but that looks to be a whole project in and of itself, including pulling off the pulley. Until I find the motivation to tackle that, I'll just live with it leaking. Sorry, Al Gore ;)

CharlieG 08-08-2017 12:27 AM

Pressure sensor leak

Originally Posted by staysbroken (Post 9658621)
I think I've tracked my power steering leak to some type of sensor on the pressure line, close to where it connects to the steering box: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=52761
I assume this is a pressure sensor? I got no CEL or anything like that when the fluid had leaked down to the level that the pump started whining pretty badly though. As far as I can tell by looking at pictures, the parts store replacement pressure lines do not have this sensor, or any provision to connect a sensor to it: Advance Auto Parts: Power Steering Pressure Hose by Powercraft - Part 71878

Anyone run into this issue before? I may just put a replacement line on there and leave the sensor plug hanging and see what happens...

Thanks!

i am currently going through this same scenario and just created a post on here asking the same thing. My 99 expedtion is leaking around the plug that is on the pump itself, not on the line. Ive been told its just a o'ring that may need to be replaced. But im still waiting on what these guys tell me on here. Let me know if you figure it out

87 XLT 08-08-2017 12:25 PM

I believe that's the variable assist power steering sensor-more assist for parking less for driving- i don't know if you will end up with too much or not enough assist if you replace the hose without the sensor. If you do replace the hose without the sensor let us know how it drives.

If all else fails you should be able to get the hose at a Ford dealer.

OOPS somehow i missed Ranger pats post where he already "splained" how this works

Jklnhyd 08-08-2017 09:11 PM

CharlieG necroposted a thread that has nothing to do with his situation. He has another thread in the motor section that points his issue to a different piece, the Evo actuator.

Apparently the piece can be purchased at the dealership for $400, or you can get a complete power steering pump with actuator at a fLAPs for under $100.

So there it is

Nickbarrett11590 08-30-2019 02:23 AM

98 expedition eddie bauer 4x4 5.4

[QUOTE=staysbroken;9658621]I think I've tracked my power steering leak to some type of sensor on the pressure line, close to where it connects to the steering box: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=52761

Thanks![/QUOT

I took a power steering pump off a 4.6 An put it on my 5.4 an realized it didn't have that lol sensor on it notice the belt wasn't fitting the width of the pulley will it be ok with out that sensor please let me know thanks