Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Can't shift my truck Into gear...stuck In neutral (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1016673-cant-shift-my-truck-into-gear-stuck-in-neutral.html)

robs01f250 12-04-2010 10:40 PM

Can't shift my truck Into gear...stuck In neutral

Well....after having my little brother change the batteries in my truck while I was out of town he drove it back home. He went out to get in it to leave and it wouldn't go into gear. It seems it is stuck between 1st and 2nd and won't move up,down,left, or right. It won't go into any gear whether the truck is running or not. I have done a little research as I am out of town and I know that the 2000 and up have the upgraded shift fork. I know that the hydraulics are good. Any ideas??

robs01f250 12-04-2010 10:41 PM

After doing a little more research I was wondering if the shift fork and the clutch fork are the same thing?

Visseroth 12-04-2010 11:38 PM

Manual or auto?
If it's a manual which it does sound like because you mentioned the clutch fork then it sounds like the syncros got jammed up.
That and an auto won't allow you to start while being stuck between gears.

Sounds like the tranny needs to come out unfortunately.

carltonwebb 12-04-2010 11:43 PM

The clutch fork is definitely the part that disengages the clutch from the transmission when the pedal is pressed. Its located inside the bellhousing. It will not effect whether or not your shifter moves left to right in nuetral. It will cause problems going into gear if there is a problem with it.

The shifter fork is what slides the gears into the various positons when u move the shifter. I think it rides in the bottom of the shifter handle in a ball/socket type joint. Its internal to the transmission and what allows 12345 & r by lining up the various ratios inside the transmission when selected.

It could be shifter fork or maybe some kind of jam in the actual linkage below the shifter itself. Thats all i can offer. Hopefully one of the other guys will know more about how they usually fail. Everything here is usually automatic.

carltonwebb 12-04-2010 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Visseroth (Post 9643474)
Manual or auto?
If it's a manual which it does sound like because you mentioned the clutch fork then it sounds like the syncros got jammed up.

Probably b/c he is using differnt computer, it dumped his signature. Here is his normal sig.

<DD id=signature>2001 F250 7.3 6speed FX4, 2.5in spring leveling kit
6637, foil delete, painted IC pipes
Isspro boost, pyro, DP f5 gauge
DP Tuner 80e, 120r, and 140 SMOKE
BF Goodrich AT 295/75/16, MKO 5'' straight piped
Bull Bar and camo seat covers, TRAIN HORNS</DD>

robs01f250 12-06-2010 11:29 AM

Well I got back in town and got to looking at my truck and it seemed to be stuck right where I said it was. I took the slave cylinder out and looked in the bell housing and couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. Got back in the truck and fired it up and was trying to get into any gear. Well, I found 1st and limped most of the way home. When I got close to my house I changed gears and found all the gears with no problem. It is somewhat hard to go from 1st to second, but every other gear seems ok. I am going to check out the linkage to see if is has binded up on me

carltonwebb 12-06-2010 11:35 AM

When I wrote linkage, i did not mean linkage as far as external to transmission as a lot of trucks have. I figure you probably know that transmission better than me but I did not want to send u on a wild goose chase if not. You can check that joint at the top of the transmission but it almost sounds like a synchronizer issue or shift fork issue.

Kwikkordead 12-06-2010 11:43 AM

Sounds like a broken 1,2 slider to me.

robs01f250 12-06-2010 12:38 PM

Does I have to pull the transmission to fix this problem?

Kwikkordead 12-06-2010 02:52 PM

Yes, it requires a tranny rebuild.
But first, remove the shifter lever from the top of the trans and look down inside.
There was a very recent thread here on FTE about somebody having problems shifting and it ended up being a broken roll pin that secured the inner selector lever to the selector rod.
I cannot remember the title of that thread, perhaps someone else can post it?

camodown 12-06-2010 03:42 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9627760

There is the problem I was having. If the roll pin on the main shift rail driver fractures like mine, it can do all kinds of weird things. Like Kwik said, might want to look at the shift driver from the top and see if there is anything going on with the pins

Kwikkordead 12-06-2010 07:23 PM

That's the thread I was talking about, thanks for posting.