Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical Systems/Wiring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum62/)
-   -   Wipers work on high only (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/101638-wipers-work-on-high-only.html)

alicenfred 03-02-2003 11:06 AM

Wipers work on high only

My 91 Ranger wipers only work on high speed and will not park when shut off. The low & intermittent speeds are completely in-op. Can anyone help me diag. this? Thanks

Mike W 03-02-2003 12:04 PM

Wipers work on high only

I don't know your truck but usually the lack of low speeds is a resistor assembly inside the ductwork that opens up. It drops the voltage to the motor. The lack of park function could be the switch or the motor. :)

kioolt 03-02-2003 04:19 PM

Wipers work on high only

The lack of low speed in the motor that has been seen on this site is for heater/AC blowers not the wiper motors. Wiper motors DON'T have resistors for the lower speed. They use just part of the motor winding for the lower speed.

Mike W 03-02-2003 06:36 PM

Wipers work on high only

That's what I get for reading before I'm awake. :rolleyes:

Mil1ion 03-02-2003 06:52 PM

Wipers work on high only

Sounds like the speed governor for the wiper system.

alicenfred 03-03-2003 12:18 AM

Wipers work on high only

Thanks, it was a bad speed governor:)

jbalestri 03-03-2003 12:14 PM

Wipers work on high only

Is that a dealer item?

I am having the same problem, thought it was the switch and that didn't help. Was gonna buy a new motor, but if the speed governor thing is replaceable, I'll go that route.

Thanks

Mil1ion 03-03-2003 12:54 PM

Wipers work on high only

Yes it's a dealer item.
There are aftermarket systems but they are cheap by comparison.

alicenfred 03-03-2003 03:25 PM

Wipers work on high only

The governor is under the dash to the right of the steering col.and it cost is about $25.00. Just in case you were wondering.

jbalestri 03-03-2003 03:43 PM

Wipers work on high only

Thanks y'all.

That'll still save me about $25.

Again, thanks for the advice.

steve83 03-03-2003 10:44 PM

Wipers work on high only

PM or e-mail me.

ranger6 03-07-2003 06:13 PM

Wipers work on high only

Seen that problem about a year ago w/my 91. In the helm manual for my truck it says, if the wiper works on high only then the switch is bad. There's no need to check for pwr or a wire going to gnd. It's the switch that has a wiper that runs on a rheostat. The rheostat is taken out of the loop when the switch is placed on high.

weathergeekee 03-27-2011 10:48 PM

Thanks for all the posts on this. I pulled out the delay module and found diode D2 with bad solder joints to the circuit board on the heatsink bracket side. Diode D2 feed the relay that completes the low speed circuit and when the solder joints break, no low speed and no delay. I resoldered all three connections to D2 on the circuit board and added some small wires wrapped around the protruding leads to the relay leads in parallel for extra connections (just in case the PCB joints break again). D2 is located right next to the relay and has a U-shaped bent metal heat sink bracket with two bend tangs soldered to the PCB. After soldering and adding the parallel wires, reinstalled and it works like new. But before I read these posts, I had changed the wiper motor and still had no low speed so was scratching my head thinking it was the switch. Now I have a new motor and 'better than new' delay control module so should be good for many years.