Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   6.0 vs 7.3 in an Excursion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1016325-6-0-vs-7-3-in-an-excursion.html)

CheaperJeeper 12-03-2010 08:29 PM

6.0 vs 7.3 in an Excursion

I know that there have probably been tons of debates on which is best, so I'm not trying to start that kind of thread here. What I am asking is that people relate their own experiences - good or bad - with either the 6.0L and the 7.3L

I've been shopping for an Excursion and am curious about how the 6.0L in the and newer models stacks up against the 7.3L in the earlier ones.

I know the 6.0L has more power, but what about fuel economy? Reliability? Major weaknesses of both? I am especially interested i how they do with alternative fuels (specifically home-brewed biodiesel)?

I'm looking at this mainly as a people mover - not a major towing rig. About the only towing I would expect to do with it is pulling a 2000 pound boat.

What kind of fuel economy do they generally get?
Any particular weaknesses or problem areas?

Again, PLEASE keep it constructive, and share YOUR experience with these motors - don't bash on the other choice.

Rushmore X 12-03-2010 10:07 PM

The 6.0 does do better on fuel, but I get around 19 mpg with mine on the highway so I can't complain too much...

1NiceHarley 12-03-2010 10:47 PM

We just bought a completely stock 6.0. Filled it up 4 times so far.
The day we bought it we drove from TX to MO, on the way to MO we got 17.8mpg. I would say average speed of 70mph
The way home from MO (which I think was winter blend up there) we got 16.8mpg. same average about 70mph.
The next fill up was pretty much all back road driving going 9 miles to and from work. We got 16.1 mpg. most speeds around 45-50.
The last time I filled up was about half back road driving and the other half city highway miles. Going from the house of various shopping places (we live out in the country so it takes some highway time to get anywhere to shop, it is getting close to Christmas) and we got 16.7 mpg. most speeds around 65.

I am saving up to do the builtproof EGR and Oil coolers.
Troy

dcorry 12-03-2010 10:54 PM

Just to bump this post, I too am in the market for an Excursion and also debating the pro's/con's of the 7.3 vs. the 2005 6.0. And to contrast CheaperJeeper's mode of use, I'll mostly be pulling a heavy travel trailer and doing long highway trips...not much driving around town. So, for those inclined to delve into the fray here, I'd love to hear advice on how they way you use your Ex might affect how you look at purchasing the 7.3 vs '05 6.0.

thanks

dave

nunomad 12-04-2010 06:41 AM

From what I've read and experienced with buddies that own either the 7.3 or 6.0,the 7.3 is bullet proof and just a good all around motor and with a few upgrades can be quite a tire burner. Another buddy that is a ford mechanic bought a 6.0(but wouldn't buy one without existing warantee still on it ) and within 2 months of buying it had to take motor out of it-under warantee-to fix turbo issues and oil problems.
With this being said, when I bought my Ex, I wanted new as possible, and the 6.0's were out so I went with the V10 instead of diesel.All I've ever heard is that the 7.3 is trouble free and 6.0 is very likely gonna need wrench work sooner than later. Just my 2Cents.Nunomad

nunomad 12-04-2010 06:50 AM

If by chance you haven't read this thread, here might be some insight about 6.0L

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-6-0-ex.html

jdadamsjr 12-04-2010 07:21 AM

As with ANY used vehicle, YRMV ....I can't influence your decision in any way.

The 7.3 will be in a truck from at least 2003 or earlier... (the WHOLE truck will be at least 8 or more yrs old)
the 6.0 will be in a truck from at least 2005 - last time they made them.

As my signature states, I've had 3 of them...
and while my results are not statistically relevant, neither is the one case sited in the post above.

In MY case, the 7.3 was the worst of my bunch... Ford bought it back within a year,
the 03 was traded in on the 05 because I like the Ex so much that I wanted the last of the breed,
now my 6.oh has 119k HARD miles and I still love it !

I am perfectly comfortable sending my wife off on an emergency trip to Memphis in it this week.
I wanted her to fly, but she said she would rather go in the Ex. Fill it up before she leaves and she doesn't have to stop for fuel until after she runs around Cordova and Germantown for a week !!!

It is the BEST traveling vehicle I've ever had, and I had 2 motorhomes ....

I like mine so much that even though the wife's car is newer than mine,
she gets a new one this year and I'll pass on my turn to get a new one !!! Is it perfect ? No, but it's as close to it as a used vehicle can be IMHO...

Good luck on your decision, and my guess?
you'll have bashing and "mine's better than your's" for 100's of posts....

drumminguy81 12-04-2010 10:48 AM

all i have ever heard from my friends who have owned many ford powerstrokes is that the 7.3 is bullet proof and will run forever, no matter how many oil leaks it may have. ha.. when i was buying mine i was told by 3 people that own 6.0 to stay away and look for a 7.3. i ended up picking up a 7.3 with 180k on it and it still runs great though does drip a little oil. from what i have found the 6.0 is kinda hit or miss some people never have a single problem and some cant ever get the problems fixed.. personally if i could have afforded it i would have bought an 05 with a 6.0 mainly because it would be newer and have all the little upgrades like the digital a/c and steering wheel controls. but i love my 7.3 just my .02

TXSailor 12-06-2010 12:59 PM

When I bought my EX (in April) of this year, I asked mnay of the same questions. I decided on a 7.3L because of the "expereince" around with the Engine (history of parts and repairs) and what my mechanic friends advised.

Yes my 7.3 does leak a little oil, but with the mods, I've made, it kicks out more reliable, bullet proof HP and Torque than I probably need.

I really wanted an '03 with 7.3L but couldn't find one so I settled for an '02 w/ 134k on it. That was 10,000 trailer towing miles ago and I don't miss what I never had in an '04 or '05 EX.

D

jhooch 12-06-2010 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one of each, they're both good. The 6.0 has a better tranny behind it (5-speed Torqshift). My 7.3 is in an '01 F250 Crew with the 6-speed manual tranny as I'm not real fond of the autos (4R100) behind the 7.3's although once properly rebuilt and upgraded by a competent trans shop they're probably fine.

soutthpaw 12-07-2010 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jhooch (Post 9652205)
I have one of each, they're both good. The 6.0 has a better tranny behind it (5-speed Torqshift). My 7.3 is in an '01 F250 Crew with the 6-speed manual tranny as I'm not real fond of the autos (4R100) behind the 7.3's although once properly rebuilt and upgraded by a competent trans shop they're probably fine.

Did you replace your Transmission as the Excursion never came factory with the Torqshift even in 05' they used up the left over E4OD's in the Ex's @OP, Also it just comes down to Piece of Mind as far as the engine is concerned. With the 7.3 I don't have to worry about when something is going to break, if I owned a 6.0 I would always be wondering when the next big thing is going to fail. Murphy's law says it will fail at the worst time in the most remote and inconvenient location. If you go the the 6 I would seriously look for one that's had the Head studs, gaskets and EGR delete done already as those are several thousand bucks that you will not recoup when selling it...

jhooch 12-07-2010 12:25 PM

All 6.0 diesel Excursions got Torqshifts, I owned an 03 X with 6.0 and torqshift (couldn't keep injectors in it) and now have an 05 (purchased brand new) with 6.0 and Torqshift. To my knowledge, Ford never used older 4-speed auto with 6.0.

JumpinJoe 12-07-2010 07:15 PM

Curious, has anybody with a 7.3 replaced their blown 4r100 with the 6,0's (5-speed Torqshift) tranny? Would sure like a taller gear for the highway...... I presume you'd have to do some heavy pcm programming....

Digger 5 12-07-2010 08:02 PM

To the OP(Bob)-
Generally, the 7.3 is considered a better hauler and the 6.0 a better motor for around town driving. The 6.0 feels more like a gasser. Later 6.0s are usually fine once you've done the required 'fixes' but I'd stay away from early models. The 7.3 responds very well to mods but the 6.0 is better if left fairly stock.

Scott

jdadamsjr 12-08-2010 08:50 AM

somewhat look at it in a different viewpoint Dig (but don't we all :-dancing1)..
having had both.... the 7.3 was almost 'lethargic' to me, much better once tuned,
but the stock 6oh is even better than the tuned, and tuned is like a big, safe, sports car IMHO..... fun to drive!

re mod's, like on any vehicle, can be done correctly and safely...mine's far from stock as are many on here...
the wife is on a 1000 mile trip with her son in the 6.oh X right now,
it's the best travel vehicle ever... (especially with the Rancho 9k's set on 1 for 'float' Oo. )

everyone's definition of longevity has variables :)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9656018