Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Connecticut Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum227/)
-   -   lookin for some wheelin buddies (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1015798-lookin-for-some-wheelin-buddies.html)

lil f 150 12-02-2010 02:59 AM

lookin for some wheelin buddies

hey guy i have a lil f 150 stock hight lookin for some new friends who like to go wheeling i live in danielson ct u can contact me from my e mail at sgrehoski@yahoo.com cant wait to ride GIT-R-DONE

jthorngate3 12-08-2010 07:51 PM

Where is danielson? And where do you want to go wheeling?

Towmanjbo 12-12-2010 05:13 AM

Danielson is NE at the intersection of I-395 and Rt 6

Nice Work Truck 12-12-2010 07:43 AM

Why don't you come join the CT chapter.

Shawn66mcl 04-04-2011 08:50 PM

I live in Storrs and have been wanting to go off roading. I've got a stock drivetrain so I can't really do anything serious but I'm game.

jthorngate3 04-04-2011 09:10 PM

And you have a super duty, makes things tough.

Shawn66mcl 04-04-2011 09:15 PM

I know it's a little bigger than most trucks but that's why I love it.

jthorngate3 04-04-2011 09:18 PM

I am not knocking it by any means. I really want one, just tend to be tough to find a decent trail that will handle a big truck like that. The trails I have found, I have to pull the mirrors in in a few spots...plus the length can make it tough.

Aerocell4x4 04-06-2011 02:36 PM

You guys kibitz about your rides being too big for a bit of off roading :-missingt

I have to stick to logging roads :-X06
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=28811
Or go out west where there are fewer trees.

7.3 Rocket 04-06-2011 04:31 PM

Well what good are those tires lift and lockers if you can't even get off improved surfaces? I say you take it up the hill at monson. Plenty of room there.

acf6 04-06-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket (Post 10188946)
Well what good are those tires lift and lockers if you can't even get off improved surfaces? I say you take it up the hill at monson. Plenty of room there.

Lol, race the ranger :-wink

Aerocell4x4 04-06-2011 04:58 PM

The only 'improved surface' a logging haul road has is that its graded smooth before they start using it. After that its a washout as time goes by.

Those big tires allow me to pass over the same boulders that they left in the roadway.

Plus I can crawl through two and a half inches deeper snow than I was able to previously, before the snow starts bunching up in front of me. They don't snowplow those roads if they are not using them.

Also with Spring season here those roads get very soupy in places. A few years ago my old diesel blazer sank up to its frame when I plunged through the 'permafrost' on the way out.

Aerocell4x4 04-06-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 10188964)
Lol, race the ranger :-wink

I'd love to take it up the hill once at Munson.

Just that I made it to the first landing would be nice.

I figure though that I'd have to be one of the first ones to make a go of it, before everyone digs through the surface.

7.3 Rocket 04-06-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocell4x4 (Post 10189069)

I figure though that I'd have to be one of the first ones to make a go of it, before everyone digs through the surface.

The stock-ish classes are the first to run. Once I've got some better tires on my truck I will make a run at the hill.

acf6 04-06-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocell4x4 (Post 10189069)

dooo it! we will be cheering you on :-X22

jthorngate3 04-06-2011 07:52 PM

I love all the wheeling trails out in the mountains for CO. As long as you are a smart enough driver, you can take a stock truck up a good number of them. They are challenging, and tend to end up at some really amazing places.

keyul 05-31-2011 07:33 PM

I'll go wheelin! Soon as I get my solid front in that is. Don't like to drive my truck to far at the moment cause the TTB east the crap outta the tires!

acf6 05-31-2011 07:36 PM

Shawn.. were you at the portland fairgrounds monday? I just realized now a truck i saw was basically identical to yours

mox-ct 06-01-2011 11:28 AM

Fill it with HELIUM, it will float up the hill at Monson!!!
PLUS, the driver can talk really funny!!!

jthorngate3 06-01-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by keyul (Post 10407783)
I'll go wheelin! Soon as I get my solid front in that is. Don't like to drive my truck to far at the moment cause the TTB east the crap outta the tires!

Didn't you say you went wheeling this weekend? Where did you guys go? And the TTB does actually quite well off road if you aren't doing anything too crazy. They have pretty decent articulation. It's on-road that they eat the tires so bad.

keyul 06-01-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jthorngate3 (Post 10410432)
Didn't you say you went wheeling this weekend? Where did you guys go? And the TTB does actually quite well off road if you aren't doing anything too crazy. They have pretty decent articulation. It's on-road that they eat the tires so bad.

Yea, I went wheelin a few miles away from where my house is. I don't like to drive to far on road cause of the bad camber that the TTB has. I picked up some 33" bfg mudders awhile back with 1/32" less tread than new so I'd like to keep for for awhile!

Towmanjbo 06-01-2011 01:18 PM

Bah I had a '93 Bronco with a 4"lift and 33" tires and I put roughly 10K miles on it before I traded it in and you couldn't tell by the tires. As far as close to stock, my F150 has 31" (stock was a 225/75/15 or 28") and I've put over 30K on it and it's just starting to show.

keyul 06-01-2011 01:27 PM

Lucky! The previous a tires that were on the truck when i bought it were worn like a wedge shape! I am going to pick up my mountain bike from the shop right now! Very excited!

Towmanjbo 06-01-2011 02:09 PM

It's not luck it's just a good alignment which IS possible (despite claims otherwise) on our ttb trucks. Notice I said good, the design is based on the old 2wd twin I beam which the I beams had to be bent for a perfect alignment. Because it can only be good most people give up or don't even try and just complain that it's a "crappy Ford design". If you rotate the tires you should be able to get 35~50K on a set of street friendly tires. Which isn't too bad. Now when you add a soft compound off-road set of tires into the mix and then try use the truck 75~85 percent of the time on the street say goodbye to them tires. Our ttb will speed up the process but the tires will be toast on any truck. For instance my buddy put a set of Swampers on his stock '94 Chevy K1500 and within 15K they were bald maybe on our trucks that would be 10~12.5K. He went off road twice I think and the next spring he was buying tires again.

As far as your '82 IDK how the previous owner maintained it, when was the last time the axle pivot bushings were replaced or the radius arm bushings for that matter.

keyul 06-01-2011 03:07 PM

Not quite sure when any of that was taken care of, I had taken it to the alignment shop after I replaced a radius arm bushing, still to much other worn out parts to get a proper alignment, but I'll be throwing in my solid front sometime this summer, probably get this thing about 2-4more inches higher at the end too!