Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crossovers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum219/)
-   -   Attn Edge Owners - U happy? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1012652-attn-edge-owners-u-happy.html)

Battman76 11-22-2010 10:55 AM

Attn Edge Owners - U happy?

Tell me about your EDGE please.... Miles, make, ride, problems etc.

My wife and I are looking at them currently but am slightly concerned about this PTU deal I'm reading about. Not that I dont understand that most all makes and models have something that is notorious for going. I'm just wondering if Ford has got a grip on the overall problem?

She's nearly put 175K on her escape and it's time for a new ride.

Thanks for the input.

FishOnOne 11-26-2010 04:57 PM

We just purchased an '11 Edge for my wife last month. So far it's a jewel.

I don't know if Ford fixed the ptu oil leak issue, since our's is a 2wd.

aladin sane 11-30-2010 09:30 AM

My wife has an 08 AWD Limited. She loves it. She has not had any problem with the PTU. The car did leave us stranded one time. The PCU was replaced under warranty, and Ford Roadside assistance picked us up and trucked the vehicle to the shop.

thomabb 12-02-2010 12:04 PM

My wife's '08 has 40k miles on it. She loves it. No issues.

Brad2296 12-03-2010 10:17 AM

What is the PTU? My Fiance' parents have a 08 Limited FWD on 20's.....(fake 20's from ford). They have almost 40k on it. Only problem they've had is the driver seat under hard braking or acceleration tends to wobble forward or backward. They've took it in to Ford and they "Can't find anything wrong with it, even after test driving it" with giving them permission to stab the throttle and do 60-0 brake tests...

Other then that, they car is great IMO. I've drove it plenty of times, its great.

Also, when traction control is on in the snow, the car will not go forward almost at all. It takes a good 10 seconds for it to finally start get a move on. Turn off the traction control and it's a charm.

Can't stand all the new "drive by wire" crap.

thomabb 12-03-2010 11:53 AM

Remember the good old days when the car was actually controlled by the driver?

Beach_Bob 12-03-2010 01:03 PM

We have a 2010 Edge Ltd AWD. Not my choice, I'm a truck guy, but that is what my wife wanted.

My initial feel was that it is just an average vehicle, it doesn't appeal to me any more than virtually anything else out there. However, now that winter has hit, I have to give the vehicle full credit for its stability and capability on snow/icy roads. It has no problem starting up after sitting outside in -30 weather. It feels stunningly solid on a winter road. In all honesty, I'd rather drive my Edge in bad weather than my F250 4wd.

38Chevy454 12-04-2010 09:47 PM

Have a 2008 Edge AWD Limited as my wife's daily driver. Bought it used with 34K, now has 49K. Gets about 22 mpg with 75% freeway. The PTU did leak, but it was fixed under warranty and has the new design seal. So far seems to have fixed the problem. Power is OK, not a hot rod or race car, but a good transportation vehicle. I would not tow anything more than a small utillity trailer with it.

We live in the mountains east of Albuquerque, and get reasonable snow. I will say the Edge kicks butt in the snow. It does great. Better than my usual bad weather driver 97 Expedition. Last winter my wife was driving around some bigger trucks that were having trouble on some hills. It is not an off-road vehicle, but does really good for snow and ice conditions.

Room inside is good, if you fold down the rear seats you can fit a lot of crap in the back. I would say the seats in front are pretty good, my wife loves the heated seats on cold mornings.

soondg 12-15-2010 11:12 AM

I bought my wife an 07 Edge SEL AWD. It was a rental buy back with 24,000 on it. It now has 37,000 and over all its been a good vehicle. She loves driving it and I have to agree with 38chevy, with the rear seats folded it holds a lot of stuff. I was able to load a ton of stuff for the last Carlisle meet. There has been a problem with it starting, I took it to Ford and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I believe it may be something in the anti theft system. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll act up when I'm at the dealer.

5 Star Tuning 12-18-2010 06:18 PM

Wife got a 08 Edge in late 08, Has 30k+ miles and has not had any issues with it. This is the first car since we have been married (17 years) that she actually will wash and keep clean :-drink... thats why i like the Egde..:-X10

aladin sane 12-20-2010 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brad2296 (Post 9635713)
What is the PTU?
Also, when traction control is on in the snow, the car will not go forward almost at all. It takes a good 10 seconds for it to finally start get a move on. Turn off the traction control and it's a charm.

That has not been my experience with the traction control in snow at all. I get instant throttle response and great traction with the traction control installed.

merlynr 12-20-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Brad2296 (Post 9635713)
What is the PTU? My Fiance' parents have a 08 Limited FWD on 20's.....(fake 20's from ford). They have almost 40k on it. Only problem they've had is the driver seat under hard braking or acceleration tends to wobble forward or backward. They've took it in to Ford and they "Can't find anything wrong with it, even after test driving it" with giving them permission to stab the throttle and do 60-0 brake tests...

Other then that, they car is great IMO. I've drove it plenty of times, its great.

Drive by wire is a simple way of saying the accelerater pedal is not connected to throttle by a mechanical linkage,but is hooked electrically with a rheostat at the engine. voltage change causes speed up/down.

aladin sane 12-20-2010 10:10 AM

I'm pretty sure the OP is not just unhappy with the throttle running a rheostat, but the fact that a computer is making decisions about what the output of the rheostat should be based on other factors, such as wheel spin.

tiny1 12-27-2010 09:23 AM

MY wife has a '08 Edge AWD SEL and has not had any issues with it. We bought it used with 7100 miles on it and now have over 20,000. It is great in the snow and is fun to drive.

FORD COASTIE 12-28-2010 05:29 PM

My mom has had a '10 Limited Edge for about a year and a half now and she loves it. No problems at all. I have driven it a few times, and it seems to be a good driving vehicle.