Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2010 Expedition - To Much Motion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1011583-2010-expedition-to-much-motion.html)

MDNick 11-18-2010 02:43 PM

2010 Expedition - To Much Motion

I Posted this in the forum for 2006 and younger. Didn't notice there was more than one forum for the Expy's. First post and I put in the wrong place!:-newbie

My first post, just joined. Sure a wealth of information here. Hopefully what little I know someday will be useful to somebody when I respond to someone elses thread. Right now I need help on my 2010 Expy 4x4 EL.

Bought it in March, and from day one, everyone that rides in the middle row mentions how much motion it has, my wife has to take dramamine for more than a 20 minute ride back there. I've been back there once and it's pretty noticeable. No one has yet been in the third row, but I got to think my boat on the Potomac would be more tolerable (at least for the relative time frames). Dealership says its normal, indy suspsension, built for the women so it's not a truck (their words, ladies, not mine), just rides smooth. Smooth is good, but like a boat on a waive, not so much. So far they haven't indicated there is much that can be done about it. I am thinking shocks need upgraded at a minimum. Not something I really know much anything about. No issue actually doing the replacement, but no clue where to begin for shock selection. Anyone else have a perspective on this or a recommendation on where to start for shocks.

I did see some threads on Expy shocks selection for various reasons, but I think they were mostly on a non indy rear. I want a stiffer ride, somewhere between where it is now and my F250.

It is actually still at the dealer for their evaluation. I am going to lean on them (ya know, 6th Ford I've owned, bought my F250 & Expy from you, planning to buy a Fusion, spent $43k on a vehicle nearly unusable for the purpose, etc.) for any assistance I can get, but they may not be the most helpful.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance, Nick

2010 Expy 4x4 EL, 2006 F250 PSD 4x4 LB, 2000 Civic (wife owned it before she was my girlfriend)

gddyup 11-18-2010 06:54 PM

By "Indy" I'm assuming you mean independent rear suspension. I have an 07 Limited EL and haven't heard any complaints from anyone riding in any of the rows as far as being bouncy or anything like that. If the rear end of your Expy is bouncing around beyond what is considered "normal", it could be possible that your rear shocks are bypassing for some reason. An easy way to check for that is to push down hard on each rear corner and let it return. Push down hard on the right rear corner bumper area and then let it spring back to it's resting point. The right rear should rebound and then settle almost right away. If it continues to "bounce" as it settles than the shock is bypassing. Do the same thing on the left side. Both sides should rebound from the bottom of travel and then settle without bouncing around.

Basically, you push down, the end comes up, then it settles. Any easily noticeable movement up and down beyond that could be an issue and would lead to a "motion" effect like you have described. he answer to that is to replace the bypassing shock with factory replacements, or go aftermarket and replace all four corners.

If you have rear air-suspension, then all bets are off and I wish you good luck! :)

chuck s 11-18-2010 08:29 PM

No complaints on my '07 XLT (no air suspension). My wife often rides back there on long trips and uses it as an office, complete with her PC, etc.

-- CHuck

SilverBulletZ06 11-18-2010 10:29 PM

No issues in my 09 EL. Between the Tahoe and the Expo, the Expo was very superior in ride handling and planted feeling.

MDNick 11-19-2010 07:27 AM

Gddyup, et al.,

Thanks. Spoke with the service manager. It rides just like it's supposed to, and for some, I suppose that's ok. It's not working for my wife and I. He said there were some things they could try, but wouldn't without Ford direction/consent because of Warranty. He gave me the 800 number for Ford customer Service and to see what they would/could do.

Nothing modified, just the original factory shocks/struts independent suspension (no air shocks). It does seem to reasonably past the 'test' you proposed, Gddyup. Not sure why I didn't try this before, but I am running the air pressure up on the tires from the Ford recommended (35) to 42. Max on the tires is 44. If that doesn't work, and Ford isn't the most helpful, I am seriously considering a relatively cost neutral (unless it works) attempt with LT tires on it. My F250 uses the exact same size tire. It'll need tires in another 10 or 15k. Thinking about buying a set and mounting them on the Expy, but keeping the current P tires. If it doesn't work out for us, I'll just have them swapped back and keep the LT's for my F250 next year. If it does work, it's $800 or so in tires, but I don't have to replace shocks. The heavier sidewall and 75 PSI should make quite a difference.

As to that planted feeling, I have the distinct feeling of it being planted in a mud pit like a sow from my Dad's hog farming days! Guess I am used to the planted feeling of my F250.

MDNick

2010 Expy XLT 4x4 EL, 2006 F250 PSD 4x4 LB, 2000 Civic (wife owned it before she was my girlfriend)

berry1234 11-22-2010 12:26 PM

Will he let you test drive another unit on the lot? A 4x2? Different tires? Then you can see if it just your truck.

n2umr 11-22-2010 08:10 PM

You're not smokin anything when you're riding back there are you??!? I have had 7 adults in mine for a 6 hour trip and they couldn't believe how stable and nice the ride was for an SUV/truck. Mine is an 07 and it is as tight as could be, your gonna get body roll with a 6000lb behemoth, what are you comparing it too, I'd hat to see if you were riding in the back of your F250, i'm sure that would be much worse.

Mark

MDNick 11-30-2010 07:21 AM

Berry, N2,

Thanks for the responses. I doubt I'd notice any body roll in the bed of my F250, though I think I'd find it rough as all get out. I am comparing to every other vehicle I've owned, or ridden in the back off, which admittedly isn't many SUV's. I aired up the tires from 35 to 42 and my CFO said it was much better when she rode in the middle row with my 8 month old 3 hours to in-laws and back over Thanksgiving holiday (no dramamine on the return trip). Having just drove it alone this morning for the first time after the increased air pressure, it does handle much more responsively (don't think the CFO or the 8 month old would appreciate my responsive driving test). So more air pressure helped considerably. Different tires, like probably putting LT tires on it would probably get it to where we want it. And I don't have to replace the coil overs. Some body roll I understand is inevitable. Yes, it's top heavy, and weighs 6k or so, what we were feeling was just nearly constant motion in multiple axis. I just think the tires were flexing to much for our tastes. And I spent more time whining about it on here, than it actually took to put the air in all 4! I'll see if with time the CFO continues to be satisfied and probably won't just yet replace the P tires with LT ones. Thanks to all for your responses.

MDNick

2010 Expy XLT 4x4 EL, 2006 F250 PSD 4x4 LB, 2000 Civic (wife owned it before she was my girlfriend)

n2umr 11-30-2010 08:20 AM

What tires do you have on your Expy? Tomorrow I get a pair of Michelin LTX M/S2's after a set of Cooper ATR's. I am sticking with the P-Metric sizes for right now, I don't see a need to change to LT. The tires will make a difference.

Mark

MDNick 11-30-2010 08:30 AM

It is running P265/70 R17 Contitrac TR Continentals. The stocks from Ford. Since they only have 6k on them, if we can live with them for a while, we probably will. The dealership told me that the EL was a totally different beast in handling from the regular version. So if any comparisons are being made with my experience to a regular version, or an earlier one with a solid rear axle, YMMV.

kw5413 12-04-2010 07:47 AM

Late to the dance but, my '08 EL often has 8 people in it and no complaints. Usually compliments.

Will likely be looking at a 2010 or 2011 EL any time between now and the next 6 months.

MDNick 12-06-2010 06:25 AM

Any body know when Ford started using an independent rear on their Expeditions? The solid axle would be very different than what I have. In all other ways, I have been extremely pleased with the vehicle. Though I was in a hurry backing out of the garage, and with the radio on and my not the best hearing (too many hours setting on a greens mower without hearing protection for my college summer job), that infernal beeping racket was noted not quite soon enough before I collided with the Honda (did I say I was in a hurry). Fortunately, nothing more than a scuff mark on both vehicles. After increasing the air pressure, I have been pleased with the ride and responsiveness as well.

MCDavis 12-06-2010 10:37 AM

2003 MY was the first year for the independent rear suspension.

racinghoss 04-23-2011 01:23 AM

Mine has alot of body roll too. We have put 40k miles on it, and it has progressively become worse. I think we are due for new shocks.

MDNick 04-25-2011 06:23 AM

Racinghoss,

Sorry to hear that my issues with the body roll aren't mine alone. The additional air pressure hasn't really helped, now that we have ridden with it more. Power of positive thought, apparently. My wife is only good for about 30 minutes in the second row. I am good for a bit more than that, except that I was attempting show my 1 yr old the dvd player games (he was in a bad mood, you'll try anything) and that took about 30 seconds before I thought I was going to be 2nd person to loose it back there (he was the first). It's really pretty much intolerable. I need to check and see if the air pressure is still up around 42, but it looks like I am going to have to do something to make the vehicle useable for it's intende purpose. Let me know how it goes with the new shocks.

MDNick