Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   Just bought an '08 Escape (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1008509-just-bought-an-08-escape.html)

JSlack 11-08-2010 12:13 PM

Just bought an '08 Escape

Just bought an '08 XLT 3L V6 with 78k on the ticker. We are the second owner.
have put about 200 miles on her over this past weekend so far.

What do I need to know? Wish I would have done a little more research, but with winter well on it's way, and the price was VERY good, the wife needed a new rig, so we bit.

I drive an '02 CC LB 7.3 Superduty, and do all my own work, so anything that needs to be done, I can do on the Escape.

Learn me bout these neat little rigs. things to watch for, need to knows etc.
So far we are REALLY liking everything about it.

TIA! :-wink

Rancha9 11-08-2010 02:12 PM

I'd just take care of the "I just bought a used car stuff"... Definitely do the transmission fluid... I'm not so hot on the 150K interval that Ford specifies, but with good, high quality fluid, 60K should be just fine.

You might also want to check if the customer satisfaction program for the transmission cooler was done. They'll inspect it (some started cracking and leaking) and replace for free. The program was originally supposed to be over by now, but has been extended past the end of the year. My '08 Mariner had a cracked one, and after a free replacement, all is good.

I've been doing everything on my Mariner since I bought it, so if you have any questions, just ask...

tonyford 11-08-2010 08:56 PM

You would be better off with a 15,000 mile transmission fluid drain and fill. Just drain 4qts. from the transmission pan and refill. I know for a fact when I drain 4 qts. the color is different than new tranny fluid, it's darker, I don't want to think what it will look like after 150,000 miles, even after 60,000 miles it probably is spent.

If you have 78K on the vehicle and do not know if the tranny fluid has ever been serviced, I would to do the 3 times fill and drain procedure. After you do that you will have approximately 85 to 90% new trans fluid in the tranmission.

The reason for all this concern about transmission fluid is becasue the
CD4E transmission is the weak link the Escape. Simply put, they fail more than any other component of the vehicle. At least that's the way it was with the earlier Escapes, but the CD4E is the CD4E there hasn't been any major change to this transmission at all since it's inception. Remember only use Mercon V in your year Escape, that is the type of Ford fluid recommended for your year vehicle.

JSlack 11-09-2010 01:49 PM

Thank you guys! appreciate all the advice! I plan on doing the LOF this weekend, I will add on some ATF to the list.
I run Schaeffer products in my Superduty, so that is what the Escape will be getting as well.

How about the differentials...any service needed there? is there a T-case? since the motor is mounted sideways....is there a front diff? guess I need to crawl under the thing :-partybud
anyway...any service needed on the diff(s)/tcase?

The car lot we bought it from bought it at an auction. So supposedly, the rig has been "inspected" twice, once before the auction and once at the car lot garage. They ended up putting brakes on it on all 4 corners.

Rancha9 11-09-2010 02:31 PM

Forget the 15K thing. Good MERCON V is good for 60K in this thing, easy.

If it's 2wd, there is no diff or T-case. Think of it as a funny looking front wheel drive car. Same stuff under the hood.

I've never used any of the Shaeffer's products, but I hear a lot of good stuff about 'em. As long as they have a synthetic MERCON V, you should be good to go. I changed the wife's over to the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, and it actually made a slight difference in shift quality. VERY smooth now.

JSlack 11-09-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rancha9 (Post 9538900)
Forget the 15K thing. Good MERCON V is good for 60K in this thing, easy.

If it's 2wd, there is no diff or T-case. Think of it as a funny looking front wheel drive car. Same stuff under the hood.

4wd

Originally Posted by Rancha9 (Post 9538900)
I've never used any of the Shaeffer's products, but I hear a lot of good stuff about 'em. As long as they have a synthetic MERCON V, you should be good to go. I changed the wife's over to the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, and it actually made a slight difference in shift quality. VERY smooth now.

Here is their Trans Fluid
Schaeffer's ALL-Trans Supreme Transmission Fluid for Dexron III and Mercon fluids

And the Technical Data Sheet
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/204S.pdf

Pay particular attention to Page 2 of the Tech Sheet under the heading
"TYPICAL APPLICATIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS"

All Trans Supreme is recommended for service fill and for use in the following
applications.

• All automatic transmissions that specify the use of Dexron-III (G), Dexron III (H)
Ford Mercon (License Identification Number M040610) and Mercon V. (License
Identification Number M000807).
AND

All Trans Supreme is not recommended for use in those passenger cars and light
duty trucks that specify the use of Ford Type F, Ford M2C33F, Ford Mercon® C,
Ford Mercon® LV, Automatic Transmission Fluid Type G, GM Dexron® VI, Honda
CVT, Honda Genuine, Nissan CVT type fluids or in dual clutch transmissions
(DCT) or continuously variable transmissions (CVT).

For Ford Mercon® SP applications: While not a direct substitute for the Ford
Mercon® SP fluid, All Trans Supreme has been successfully used in heavily or
severely loaded applications where a higher film strength product is need to
protect the transmission from wear.

popeye dad 11-10-2010 08:11 AM

Bought a 2010 Escape XLT 4WD for the wife several months ago. Have 5,000 on it and no problems. The V-6 sure scoots it down the road.

Rancha9 11-10-2010 03:21 PM

That Shaeffer's should be good to go.

I don't remember what the spec is for the T-case and rear diff, but if it's similar to other Fords, then it's probably either 80w-90 or 75-140. Either way, use what it calls for, and ONLY what it calls for. Ford says they are good for the life of the vehicle, but changing it every 100K shouldn't hurt.

JSlack 11-10-2010 05:37 PM

That's what I figured. I'll have to look up the capacities and just do them for good measure. Thanks for the help guys!

Rancha9 11-10-2010 06:34 PM

The tranny you can go ahead and do... I'd wait and do the T-case, rear diff and coolant at 100K. For peace of mind, you can pop the fill bolt and dip your finger in to see how bad it looks. Don't worry about the horrible smell (especially from the 75w-140).. it's normal, and trust me... The new stuff smells just as bad...

JSlack 11-11-2010 10:25 AM

yep, done a few diffs. used to work in a shop where that was all one guy did....place stank to high heaven!

wptski 11-11-2010 03:37 PM

The 4WD doesn't have a transfer case, it use a PTU.

tonyford 11-11-2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 9547117)
The 4WD doesn't have a transfer case, it use a PTU.

PTU=Power Transistor Unit. It's located under your ignition coils. It drives the coils.

What's this got to do with the the transfer case?

wptski 11-11-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by tonyford (Post 9547437)
PTU=Power Transistor Unit. It's located under your ignition coils. It drives the coils.

What's this got to do with the the transfer case?

PTU=Power Transfer Unit, it's the gearbox on the passenger side of the transaxle that turns the driveshaft.

A transfer case like used in a real 4WD normally had it's own gear ratio like low and sometimes a differential that could be locked when needed like in full time four wheel drive system. Some just had a locked high and low position.

Coil on plug(COP) has been used for years and all the drivers are in the PCM. Even before COP, drivers were in the PCM since like late ninties. Not sure when they went to COP.

JSlack 11-15-2010 08:52 PM

well....check engine light is on...code is P0455
Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

any idears?

troubleshooting tips?

already know the charcoal canister is going to run about $120 3-5 days from Ford...not 100% sure thats the problem tho....

any help'd be preciated