Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F250 5.4L Exhaust (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1008469-f250-5-4l-exhaust.html)

tbullington 11-08-2010 10:40 AM

F250 5.4L Exhaust

I have a 2001 F250 with the 5.4L in it. I am looking for suggestions on the best sounding exhaust for the truck. I want loud but not obnoxious on the exterior and reasonable on the interior. Any thought?

TEAM HARD 11-08-2010 11:15 AM

Opinions vary greatly on "Best Sound" when it comes to exhaust...

If I understand your wants correctly, you want to look at Gibson. They offer stainless (which is what anyone should buy when your replacing your stainless stock system) systems in a variety of flavors from full on raped ape to nice mellow tones, they are priced right, and their kits are really easy to install yourself.

tbullington 11-08-2010 11:22 AM

Thank you That Helps!

cdrmotorsports 11-08-2010 02:01 PM

I agree Gibson sounds good on anything and the stainless is a huge plus. Magnaflow is also good. I've had Flowmasters on a lot of my gas trucks. Some people like them, some don't. I like them, but they rot away in under 5 years with all the salt used on the roads in the winter here. Go onto YouTube and do some searching. you will find many sound clips of different exhaust choices. Thats how I decide on my exhausts.

TEAM HARD 11-08-2010 02:07 PM

Where (approx) are you located...
Here in SW PA I have a guy that does only T304 Stainless and it looks GOOD. He did the exhaust on my truck and made the muffler himself... he's pricey but in this case he gives you what you pay for.

tbullington 11-08-2010 02:18 PM

I live in Northeast Arkansas. We dont have anyone around here that sells gibson. From what I have researched I am undecided between a magnaflow (single in with dual outlets) with turn downs or just cutting the muffler completely off and running straight pipes with tips out the rear end

TEAM HARD 11-08-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by tbullington (Post 9534439)
I live in Northeast Arkansas. We dont have anyone around here that sells gibson. From what I have researched I am undecided between a magnaflow (single in with dual outlets) with turn downs or just cutting the muffler completely off and running straight pipes with tips out the rear end

You can order from Gibson online, they ship to your house. Shipping is pretty cheap believe it or not. I helped my buddy get his for his old Ram and again we did the same thing for his new Silverado.

Ive heard good stuff and bad stuff about Magnaflow... (just like anything else) but I've never worked on any of their stuff... so i cant tell you.

Cutting the muffler off... well thats another route to take. I did this on my 2005 F150 with the 5.4 in it... I can tell you that the neighbors will know every time you come home. This road does stray from your "Not obnoxious" goal. If you decide to go this route please understand that you will forsake a small (somewhat noticeable) amount of low end power... Without getting into a lesson on exhaust theory... suffice it to say that this is not your best option for performance of the truck.

cdrmotorsports 11-08-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by TEAM HARD (Post 9534482)
If you decide to go this route please understand that you will forsake a small (somewhat noticeable) amount of low end power... Without getting into a lesson on exhaust theory... suffice it to say that this is not your best option for performance of the truck.

I agree. Though it is always debated, you will lose some low end power when chopping off a muffler. I've learned this from experience with a Dodge Dakota. It was pretty noticeable on my truck.

Alex7191 11-08-2010 07:00 PM

dynomax bullet!

Northern Caveman 11-09-2010 01:32 AM

cherrybomb glasspack

Rick03F250 11-09-2010 10:41 AM

I had the cat converter plug up on mine, opened it up and cleaned it out then welded back together and put a glass pack on, added a spiltter and ran dual exhaust out the back. It sounds pretty good to me but your neighbors WILL know when your coming or going.
With the conv. shell still there I get a tinny sound sometimes, thinking of putting a thru pipe in the shell to eliminate that. No codes or prob.s yet. knock wood !!

dkf 11-09-2010 11:07 AM

Get an SPD Y-pipe. For a muffler the Dynomax Ultra Flo is a good choice. I liked the one I had on my truck.

mstiles19 11-09-2010 01:51 PM

I agree with the Y-pipe
here is a video of mine. I just got rid of my muffler and added the y-pipe, and I didnt lose any low end torque.
here is a video
YouTube - 5.4L triton Ford F250 Superduty with an exhaust cutout

kabcpapc 11-09-2010 09:26 PM

You can also do what this guy did to his 5.4L F150. Sounds good to me!

YouTube - 2004 Ford F150 5.4 Straight Pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO52yPufFL8&NR=1

tbullington 11-10-2010 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up cutting the muffler off and putting a turn down on it. It sounds pretty good to me and suprisingly enough not as loud as I expected so I left it off. Again thanks everyone!