Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

6fifty_f1fifty 11-09-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by coldsteel187 (Post 9533413)
Sorry for being so stupid just like all other forums you have them know it all technical gurus that try and point out WHERE YOU SCREWED UP should have not took my time to take pics,resize photos and post them to be put under a microscope.You would make a good wife.......Coldsteel

X2 on what Chris said. And I would like to add that it is more about safety than who screwed up.

Let me ask you this: would you want to be cruising down a road behind someone driving, just to have his/her truck break in half and cause an accident of some sort?

We all have to look out for one another and help them see things that they may or may not want to see/hear.

There was no ridicule intended or sensed be me or others in this forum.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I moved my super cab from one side of base to the other (to avoid detection of the project hinderance police ;) And I am cleaning up the dash pad I got at the JY last week, hoping to put her in the dd soon.

CamoLaw 11-09-2010 07:17 PM

Ordered a new TPS and O2 sensor from Rock Auto in an attempt to clear up the codes and improve the running condition.

Still looking for specifications for my particular carb model number before reassembly.

dohc_chump 11-09-2010 10:40 PM

continued working on putting my lift kit in today. got both i-beams off and out from under the truck. i also managed to get one of the drop pivot brackets installed before i ran out of daylight.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=50452

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=50453
this is about the time you wish you were doing a sas instead of a ttb lift

ihateminimumwage 11-09-2010 11:46 PM

Went and finally picked up a replacement 37" military tire for the one that decided to blow the sidewall out driving down to Los Angeles for work.
While on that trip, I checked out (and bought) a 19ft flatbed double axle car hauler (new tires, wiring, lights, etc) for $700. Same price to rent one from U-Haul. Now I can tow my T-Bird to Idaho with me, and haul all the other fun junk trucks that seem to magnetize towards me... Money well spent.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 9537009)
Inline wire setup....hmm, I wonder if I could get a couple of factory connectors like what connects the truck wiring to the taillight harness, and make my own 80-86 inline connector for trailer lights? That way I wouldn't have to cut on my factory wiring. I really want to have trailer light wiring on my truck, that way I don't have to dodge cops when I take junk to the dump! lol

Check the junkyard for the rear wiring setup for an 87+. Be worth it to swap in and plug this in (I did it in the O'Reilys parking lot):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Hopkins PN# 40125

roadrash63 11-10-2010 04:52 AM

hey
i have the same garage.... roofless with a dirt floor!:-headbang
ok summer sucks in the winter.

Originally Posted by dohc_chump (Post 9541023)
continued working on putting my lift kit in today. got both i-beams off and out from under the truck. i also managed to get one of the drop pivot brackets installed before i ran out of daylight.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=50452

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=50453
this is about the time you wish you were doing a sas instead of a ttb lift

panman65 11-10-2010 08:59 AM

going to the local junk yards today going to see if i cant find some of the stuff from the list for the 82

dohc_chump 11-10-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by roadrash63 (Post 9541277)
hey
i have the same garage.... roofless with a dirt floor!:-headbang
ok summer sucks in the winter.

damn straight. i'm trying hard to get my @ss in gear to beat winter. i know the snow is just waiting for the right moment to strike.

TheKirbyMan 11-11-2010 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
Check the junkyard for the rear wiring setup for an 87+. Be worth it to swap in and plug this in (I did it in the O'Reilys parking lot)

The rear wiring is a direct swap in? Do they sell the larger, round-style trailer wiring connector kits to fit the 87+ wiring too?

Today I swapped out the intermittent wiper control box in my truck for the one I was using before I got the black dash. Last switch\controller pair I picked up worked great on low and delay, but I had no high speed. New pair I got with the black dash worked on low and high, but the delay was out of whack. Now it seems it's working at least somewhat normal. Oh well.

Also cleaned up some under-dash wiring so it wouldn't hang down below the dash, used a shorter screw to mount my add-on fusebox's relay to the factory fuse panel (there's a small hole in the top corner of the panel that's just right for mounting the relay)...oh and added some oil. lol

oddshot 11-11-2010 12:29 PM

JUNK YARD DAY!!!

I had a day off from school and went treasure huntin' down at the local JY!!!

I found the center console of my DREAMS ... out of a Big Bronco. Its absolutely PERFECT ... except for the blue color.

I got the nice fresh door seals for both sides.

I found TWO great visors so I can drive INTO the sun.

I am building a 12 volt automotive circuit TRAINER ... to teach young folks about how to test for shorts to ground, shorts to hot high resistance or opens in various automotive (series, parallel or compound) circuits.

I am using a 435 watt computer power supply to give me the 12 volts ... but I needed to find a device that would allow me to change resistance, short to ground or make an open circuit at the twist of a knob.

The answer??? The headlight switch out of the F series Pickup is PERFECT!!! The dash light dimmer spans from 0 to 10 ohms ... and I can make it short to ground or to power. You just cannot find a 0 to 10 ohm wire wound rheostat that will do all that for the price I paid.

I harvested 4 of them and found a couple other types of switches I was looking for. I will be able to build almost any circuit on the bench .. and teach folks to diagnosis/trouble shoot it. About all I need now is a 12 volts, low amps (3 -4) push button resettable circuit breaker .... to simulate blown fuses ... probably Radio Shack

Total price?

I got the whole pile for $50.00 and a GREAT morning walking around a junk yard!!!

JohnSChisum 11-11-2010 02:34 PM

I moved it so I could get to the wifes Jeep. I had to flush the radiator since she picked up an old antifreeze jug with waste transmisson fluid in it and tried to top off her overflow bottle with it. Maybe I will get to the JY tomorrow and have a me day.

nolan62 11-11-2010 03:21 PM

I picked up my rebuilt tranny from the shop this morning and put it back in. So why was is harder to put it back in when it came out easy? In case you wonder what the 4sp OD looked like when it was new take a look. It's so clean I hate to put it back in the truck!

http://www.my64falcon.com/F150/TrannyRebuilt.jpg

86pullerf350 11-11-2010 04:10 PM

Finally got a chance to finish bleeding my rear brakes, although I haven't replaced the drums, shoes, hardware, or axle seals yet. But brakes both sides lock up which means they work so I'm happy.

I had to make my tires round so went out and put down a nice 60' posi patch in the road next to my house. I couldn't get too happy, the police station is just around the corner. Tire smoke and open headers is an attention getter!:-innocent The cop drove by about 10 mins after I did it and gave me the look, but I was parked and working on my snowblower.

Also got prices on full floor pans $50, upper rocker panels $30, cab corners $15. This may be a winter project. Considering putting a plow back on. Not sure yet, though.

Dorsai 11-12-2010 02:35 PM

Installed new new taillight assemblies. Cleaned out what looked for all the world like plumber's putty(!) from inside the sockets, cleaned the contacts and put new bulbs in.

Up next: dashboard lighting.

ctubutis 11-12-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dorsai (Post 9550884)
Cleaned out what looked for all the world like plumber's putty(!) from inside the sockets, cleaned the contacts and put new bulbs in.

That stuff is put in at the factory to keep moisture from corroding the electrical
contacts. Today's equivalent might be dielectric grease.

Dorsai 11-12-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 9551140)

That stuff is put in at the factory to keep moisture from corroding the electrical
contacts. Today's equivalent might be dielectric grease.

Well, after thirty years it also makes a fine glue to hold your bulbs tightly in place.