Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Gary Lewis 04-19-2013 07:17 PM

Kyle's a good guy! He sent me the tailgate trim panel.

Fordzilla80 04-19-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 13081782)
Kyle's a good guy! He sent me the tailgate trim panel.

If he used the same type of indestructible packaging for your tailgate panel as he did with my molding, I know that panel arrived there safely. :)

Kyle is definitely a great guy!

Gary Lewis 04-19-2013 07:22 PM

It could have flipped end-over-end down the highway and not have been hurt. He sandwiched it between 1x4's with 2x4's on the edges and ends. A little padding and it was both secure and protective.

Fordzilla80 04-19-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 13081808)
It could have flipped end-over-end down the highway and not have been hurt. He sandwiched it between 1x4's with 2x4's on the edges and ends. A little padding and it was both secure and protective.

That's exactly how my trim molding was secured. :)

first today 04-19-2013 07:51 PM

The cardboard is what really protected the pieces.:D

The whole time I packed them, I could not stop thinking about the old grade school experiments about dropping an egg without cracking. I was very tempted to put an egg in each package.:-X04:-X04

If I can help anyone, it may take awhile, but I will get to it eventually. I really enjoy the conversation and comraderie on this site. The 80 to 86 guys in particular.

tommythomasson 04-19-2013 08:02 PM

Haven't been on here in a while, good to see it's still going strong.

Got new tires today, BFG All-Terrain 31x10.5 R15 + alignment. Drives like a new truck. Last time it was on the alignment rack George Bush Sr. was still president. :-X03

first today 04-19-2013 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by tommythomasson (Post 13081921)
Haven't been on here in a while, good to see it's still going strong.

Got new tires today, BFG All-Terrain 31x10.5 R15 + alignment. Drives like a new truck. Last time it was on the alignment rack George Bush Sr. was still president. :-X03

Just put the same tires on my truck. I really think they are some of the best looking truck tires out there. They last forever. A member on the site had posted awhile back about a company called Treadwright. They produce a re tread tire that looks exactly like a bfg all terrain. $ tires shipped to my house will cost 500 bucks. Much better than what I paid for my BFG's. I can not find a bad review about this company. Possible future purchase for me.

TheKirbyMan 04-19-2013 11:55 PM

Had the muffler welded back on the other day, and after listening close I think I found the cause of the weird roaring sound I would hear at speed coming from under the truck. I pulled the wheel bearings apart and the passenger side had gotten water in it and turned the grease a pea green color. I saw actual water droplets in the grease under the cap and the bearing races showed considerable wear.

Did a complete bearing replacement on both sides as well as grease seals. The seals are quite a bit more stout than the last pair I got. Also used this neat Valvoline Ford-spec grease. It's got a different consistency than I'm used to (like cake frosting). It says on the can that it's "moly-enriched" or some such, which I assume means it's better. Whatever it means, I'm just hoping the roaring sound is gone for good.

FordFETruck 04-20-2013 01:00 AM

Tomorrow, I guess I'll go around looking at the core supports on my truck. Not that I'll be able to see a whole lot without taking it apart, but at least I can if there's external rust which I'm pretty sure I don't have. But I'm gonna check.

'86 F150 04-20-2013 06:29 AM

Forgot to post last night but I finished flushing out the old coolant best I could after changing the water pump and timing cover on my '84 XLT. Nothing leaks and it runs cool now so Id call it a success.

Going to put a chrome rear end cover, and heavy duty rear shocks on sometime this weekend if the weather is good. Then a frame hitch sometime in the near future.

Gary Lewis 04-20-2013 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 13082580)
Had the muffler welded back on the other day, and after listening close I think I found the cause of the weird roaring sound I would hear at speed coming from under the truck. I pulled the wheel bearings apart and the passenger side had gotten water in it and turned the grease a pea green color. I saw actual water droplets in the grease under the cap and the bearing races showed considerable wear.

Did a complete bearing replacement on both sides as well as grease seals. The seals are quite a bit more stout than the last pair I got. Also used this neat Valvoline Ford-spec grease. It's got a different consistency than I'm used to (like cake frosting). It says on the can that it's "moly-enriched" or some such, which I assume means it's better. Whatever it means, I'm just hoping the roaring sound is gone for good.

I think that means it is fortified with moly-b-dern. ;)

bruno2 04-20-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 13082642)
Tomorrow, I guess I'll go around looking at the core supports on my truck. Not that I'll be able to see a whole lot without taking it apart, but at least I can if there's external rust which I'm pretty sure I don't have. But I'm gonna check.

Look below the battery box really well. That seems to be the area where they have the most trouble.

ArdWrknTrk 04-20-2013 08:09 AM

Moly grease is good for many things, but don't use an EP grease in high speed bearings.
The one you have is fine. :-X22

But grease intended for a ball joint or the knuckle of some heavy equipment will turn all flaky and dry out if run at high speeds.

bruno2 04-20-2013 08:28 AM

I went to the JY yesterday and got some stuff for Whitey. I grabbed a header panel, new grill and a headlight bezel for the right side.I also went by the automotive paint store and grabbed some paint to refurb the plastic components. Jason and I plan to paint them sometime this weekend. I need to pull the left bezel and get it off to paint it too so everything matches.

I was wondering about the headlights on a 96. Some of them seem to get water or condensation in them. I was curious if some flowable silicone around the seams would cure this problem? However, I was also wondering if it would make it worse by not allowing any air movement through there to dry them out?

Any thoughts or comments?

Today may be the day I buy a mig welder and oxy acetylene torch. There is a Miller 180 or 211 auto set that I have had my eye on. I need to get some stuff done to Whitey that will require some cutting and welding. Then I have a log splitter that has been on the back burner for a while too.:(

ArdWrknTrk 04-20-2013 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 13083056)
I was curious if some flowable silicone around the seams would cure this problem? However, I was also wondering if it would make it worse by not allowing any air movement through there to dry them out?

Why not?
Use a whole tube...
It would fit right in with Pam's "theme" :-missingt

I can't be bothered trying to reseal plastic headlights anymore.
Once the moisture gets in, the reflector is never the same.

A pair of repop's from Ebay is cheaper than you would imagine
Especially if you shop around and find some that are mis-listed (for under $40 delivered!)
:D
**roll to the bottom and see what they really fit**

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Ford-Bronco-Pickup-Headlamp-Head-Light-Headlight-PAIR-/350503422264?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519ba1c938&vxp=mtr