Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Gary Lewis 11-29-2012 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 00Boss (Post 12538517)
Therell be a day where fordzilla is gunna flood us with thousands of pics all of the same angle just different times of the day.

Who? Oh yes, I remember him. ;)

dtgl90vt 11-29-2012 04:27 PM

Nice seat Gary, appreciate you going and charging your battery for us :D

but you guys may want to consider getting a new fangled smartphone that you can take the pictures with

I use my Windows Phone to take most of the pictures I post up, unless I need extra detail, then I use my DSLR.

But with my Windows Phone, it automatically uploads my pictures to my Skydrive.com (Hotmail/msn account) and then all I have to do is click share and then copy the link and post it up

Sorry to get technical on all you old timers :-X04

Devin

Gary Lewis 11-29-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dtgl90vt (Post 12538768)
Nice seat Gary, appreciate you going and charging your battery for us :D

but you guys may want to consider getting a new fangled smartphone that you can take the pictures with

I use my Windows Phone to take most of the pictures I post up, unless I need extra detail, then I use my DSLR.

But with my Windows Phone, it automatically uploads my pictures to my Skydrive.com (Hotmail/msn account) and then all I have to do is click share and then copy the link and post it up

Sorry to get technical on all you old timers :-X04

Devin

My iPhone 4S takes 5 Mp pictures, but we don't want that big of a picture on here due to many using dial-up connections. And, it'll load up to iCloud or to Photobucket. But, it won't do macro, which is needed for close-up pictures, and it won't let me change the lens opening so I get only the things in focus I want. Nor does it let me use Slow-Flash so I use all the light available and only the least amount of flash so I get a natural picture w/o glare from the flash.

I've thought about using my D70 Nikon DSLR, but it won't focus as close as I'd like. So, I use an ancient Nikon digital camera, turn its mode down to capture the right picture and file size, dial up the aperature opening I want to get the proper depth-of-field, and I get just the right picture - and one that no smart phone will take.

Sorry to get so technical, sonny. }>

dtgl90vt 11-29-2012 06:08 PM

Oh jeez you Apple users and your features :D

doesn't your phone have a setting to drop down the resolution?
Also I have the option of choosing macro's, sounds like you need a better app:-X04

Right back at ya,
Devin

1983F1503004x4 11-29-2012 06:22 PM

x

Letters foar forum.

Gary Lewis 11-29-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dtgl90vt (Post 12539113)
Oh jeez you Apple users and your features :D

doesn't your phone have a setting to drop down the resolution?
Also I have the option of choosing macro's, sounds like you need a better app:-X04

Right back at ya,
Devin

I'm not talking about using macros, but taking macros - macro photography. Technically that is taking a picture of something where the picture is bigger than the object, however among photographers taking closeup pictures of things is said to be "macro mode". I do that frequently, such as this one of the guts of an ICVR:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=113614

But, my iPhone's camera doesn't have the ability to take smaller pictures - neither file size nor screen size. Yes, there are two sizes that are important, and my old Nikon let's me select a screen size that fits with most computers while going with a small file size - something I doubt your phone will allow.

Another feature smart phones don't have, as I said earlier, is the ability to adjust the lens opening, or aperture. By "stopping down" the lens, meaning closing the aperture, you get more things in the picture in focus. Look at the picture above: I didn't stop the lens down, but left it fully open to gather as much light as is possible and focused on the contacts in the foreground. Notice that things to the rear gradually go out of focus. I could have stopped down, which would have increased the depth-of-field and had more things in focus. My Nikon will do that, but smart phone cameras will not.

On the other hand, I use my iPhone's camera to take snapshots of my grandkids, and it is good for that. In fact, it will take great videos of them, or of the exhaust note of my 351M, which the old Nikon won't do. You have to pick the right tool for the job.

Galendor 11-29-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12538398)
As said, I picked up a seat from Ozark1/Jerry yesterday:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1354221419

(Note that I had to charge the batteries on the camera just to get that shot but, unlike some, I did get it done. }>)

That seat looks really nice Gary! :-X22

TheKirbyMan 11-29-2012 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12536453)
I've experienced an electronic oil pressure sender failure on a small block Chrysler before, we thought we had lost oil pressure but the sender just went bad. Good thing because we were about 100 miles from home lol

Believe it or not, but shortly after I installed my electric Autometer oil pressure gauge, the sending unit got plugged up with a piece of teflon tape (I went a little overboard during installation....a little) and I eventually got a reading of zero. It would also hold a reading after shutdown.

I pulled the sending unit and when I pulled on the little strip of teflon tape sticking out, out shot a bunch of pressurized oil and the rest of the tape. I resealed it with liquid thread sealer and it's worked fine ever since. lol

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Sam - I guess there's always an exception. ;) Actually, it does make sense that they could fail in that way, since there's probably a Bourdon Tube inside the sender and it could break, which would send oil everywhere. I've just not seen it.

I don't know how common it is. I just know that it became really obvious in a short amount of time. lol

Originally Posted by George Fletcher
I have a 351 Cleveland, and the threads on top are leaking I tightened the bolt on top, it was pretty loose and i didn't want that wire on top falling somewhere never to be found. So I tightened it an it boils over more than it did before. So I wiped it off and it doesn't look like there is a spot for thread sealer. the bolt like thing goes straight into the middle of it and I cant get any of it to stick on there I don't think. I'm having a hard time describing what I'm seeing. I also don't have a clue how to add a signature, I'm new to the site and I'm still trying to figure things out.

Have you tried JB Weld?

FordFETruck 11-30-2012 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12539860)
Believe it or not, but shortly after I installed my electric Autometer oil pressure gauge, the sending unit got plugged up with a piece of teflon tape (I went a little overboard during installation....a little) and I eventually got a reading of zero. It would also hold a reading after shutdown.

I pulled the sending unit and when I pulled on the little strip of teflon tape sticking out, out shot a bunch of pressurized oil and the rest of the tape. I resealed it with liquid thread sealer and it's worked fine ever since. lol

I don't know how common it is. I just know that it became really obvious in a short amount of time. lol

Have you tried JB Weld?

A little overboard eh? meaning you put half the roll on there? }>

That sender that failed was 25 years old, it now has the original one back in it and it's been working great for 2.5 years lol, it failed internally, wasn't leaking. It sometimes would work at low speeds on the way home but on the freeway it would read nothing on the factory gauge.

George Fletcher 11-30-2012 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12539860)

Have you tried JB Weld?

I have not, I might try it. I think that my local Napa sells that.

FordFETruck 11-30-2012 05:01 PM

Got my new gauges installed today, still have the oil pressure and lights to hook up.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=116417

Truck Running And New Sun Pro Gauges Installed - YouTube

George Fletcher 11-30-2012 06:09 PM

Well today I went to my gas station to buy power steering fluid my pickup was a little below safe and I decided to put some more in because I am that weird. :D So I asked for some and the guy handed me transmission fluid and said "it does the same thing." So I bought it and then I went home and was quite nervous about putting it in. Right after that I decided to sand down some of my frame and put under coating on instead. I thought I might ask if that's alright to put transmission fluid in as a substitute for power steering fluid?

FordFETruck 11-30-2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by George Fletcher (Post 12543246)
Well today I went to my gas station to buy power steering fluid my pickup was a little below safe and I decided to put some more in because I am that weird. :D So I asked for some and the guy handed me transmission fluid and said "it does the same thing." So I bought it and then I went home and was quite nervous about putting it in. Right after that I decided to sand down some of my frame and put under coating on instead. I thought I might ask if that's alright to put transmission fluid in as a substitute for power steering fluid?

When I hear someone say that ATF and PS fluid does the same thing, I reply. So if I use PS fluid in my automatic transmission it'll work the same as ATF?

George Fletcher 11-30-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12543394)
When I hear someone say that ATF and PS fluid does the same thing, I reply. So if I use PS fluid in my automatic transmission it'll work the same as ATF?

I take it that it doesn't work the same? If it does why would you pay more for PS fluid to put in your transmission? ATF is cheaper.

FordFETruck 11-30-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by George Fletcher (Post 12543519)
I take it that it doesn't work the same? If it does why would you pay more for PS fluid to put in your transmission? ATF is cheaper.

Nope it doesn't, PS fluid is completely different than ATF, it's usually clear and thinner too. From what I've heard the best way to kill a Ford PS pump is to use PS fluid in it, I put Dexron VI full synthetic in mine to quiet it down and make the steering box smoother. But standard type F is what's called for in these trucks PS pumps.