Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

FordFETruck 11-14-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 12485150)
Before I found my factory black interior, I spray painted my old nutmeg interior gloss black. I think it faded to satin within 2 months. :)

What kind of paint did you use?

Fordzilla80 11-14-2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12485157)
What kind of paint did you use?

Off the shelf gloss black. I think it was Rustoleum. }>

I know better now. :D

FordFETruck 11-14-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 12485166)
Off the shelf gloss black. I think it was Rustoleum. }>

I know better now. :D

I've had very bad luck with Rustoleum, I painted a couple lawnmower decks with it, yeah Rustoleum doesn't like gas. Duplicolor, man I've tried to take that paint off 5 minutes after it's dried with gas, acetone and lacquer thinner and it didn't do a thing to it lol.

Sw1tchfoot 11-14-2012 04:16 PM

After some highway driving this previous weekend, I made three small trips to town today, then filled up. I ran it till it was nearly touching empty. 209.3 miles on 16.619 gallons puts me at 12.59 mpg. I let the pump run on the lowest setting until it clicked off, and it fit more than I had ever managed to cram in before. I got 13.5 or 13.6 on the last tank so I'll fill up the same way next time and see if that makes up for the 1 mpg loss or if I lost it because of my trips to town. My foot doesn't go easy on it on those little trips...

Fordzilla80 11-14-2012 04:33 PM

Today I went to three different junkyards looking for parts for both of my trucks. Only one of them had an 80-81, and it was an 81 F100 Custom 4x2. That same junkyard had six other bullnoses, but they ranged from 1982-1986, and there isn't much I can use off of those trucks. There is one other junkyard out in the middle of the forest, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12485173)
I've had very bad luck with Rustoleum, I painted a couple lawnmower decks with it, yeah Rustoleum doesn't like gas. Duplicolor, man I've tried to take that paint off 5 minutes after it's dried with gas, acetone and lacquer thinner and it didn't do a thing to it lol.

I pulled all of my old interior pieces from my junk pile the other day, and it doesn't like water either. Some of the paint is peeling off, and it's only been three years.

FordFETruck 11-14-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 12485298)
Today I went to three different junkyards looking for parts for both of my trucks. Only one of them had an 80-81, and it was an 81 F100 Custom 4x2. That same junkyard had six other bullnoses, but they ranged from 1982-1986, and there isn't much I can use off of those trucks. There is one other junkyard out in the middle of the forest, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I pulled all of my old interior pieces from my junk pile the other day, and it doesn't like water either. Some of the paint is peeling off, and it's only been three years.

Yeah Crustoleum is just pure crap for paint if you ask me lol

Redneckfordf2502002 11-14-2012 07:53 PM

Well part of the 87-96 what have you done to your truck today thread so thought I would subscribe to this one.

Well today thanks to 81choptop I might have found my clunking in the rear end problem. Yesterday I found some more of my parts to fix our 86 F150 4x4.
Trav

FordFETruck 11-15-2012 04:15 PM

Found more magnetic metal shavings in my fresh oil that's only got 5 minutes run time on it. Something is wearing in that engine and fast. Yet it still runs perfectly fine?

I've never seen such a piece of crap, one problem right after another with it.

F15086 11-15-2012 04:20 PM

I took the old wrecked bed off and put a new used bed on in better condition. I also removed some wiring that someone put in thats not needed anymore.

TheKirbyMan 11-15-2012 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12489119)
I've never seen such a piece of crap, one problem right after another with it.

Doesn't it have 230,000 miles on it?

Today I put a little gas in the truck and took it for a spin around town. It's a real joy to drive, it rides so smooth now and it runs great.

I took off from a light real fast today in manual first gear, and at around 2000RPM (guesstimation, my tach's not working right now), I felt it pulling a lot harder than usual. I guess that MSD box is making some difference after all. And it sure did sound good too. :-X04

FordFETruck 11-16-2012 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12490764)
Doesn't it have 230,000 miles on it?

Today I put a little gas in the truck and took it for a spin around town. It's a real joy to drive, it rides so smooth now and it runs great.

I took off from a light real fast today in manual first gear, and at around 2000RPM (guesstimation, my tach's not working right now), I felt it pulling a lot harder than usual. I guess that MSD box is making some difference after all. And it sure did sound good too. :-X04

The body does, the engine is pretty new, my estimate is it has less than 30,000 on it by the way it looked inside.

TheKirbyMan 11-16-2012 01:30 AM

Could be that the shavings you're seeing are left over from the last oil change. No telling how many little corners and ledges inside the block could have shavings stuck to them, and they come off when the fresh oil hits them.

I have a friend with a late 80s 350 Chevy and his fuel pump somehow ate up his cam. Don't know if it put any shavings off but I know the cam looked like it had a huge chunk out of the fuel pump lobe.

FordFETruck 11-16-2012 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12490854)
Could be that the shavings you're seeing are left over from the last oil change. No telling how many little corners and ledges inside the block could have shavings stuck to them, and they come off when the fresh oil hits them.

I have a friend with a late 80s 350 Chevy and his fuel pump somehow ate up his cam. Don't know if it put any shavings off but I know the cam looked like it had a huge chunk out of the fuel pump lobe.

I pulled the fuel pump off the other day and looked in there, everything looked good. But I'm not convinced that my new timing chain isn't wearing, I'll check for slack tomorrow.Just because I didn't see it chewed up doesn't mean something's not happening to it. I used the $26 Cloyes C-3057K double roller timing set. I noticed when I installed it, it had a little bit of slack in the chain, after a few runs it had tightened up. Maybe it keeps getting tighter and tighter causing wear?

TheKirbyMan 11-16-2012 01:54 AM

Well, if it wasn't having issues before the timing chain was installed, then I'd put my money on that being your problem.

I don't see how it would keep getting tighter. It would expand with heat, not shrink.

I would check to see if maybe it's just barely contacting the block somewhere and causing shavings from either the block or the chain to come off. Might even be worth it to pull it and check the back side of the chain that faces the block and look for any wear on the chain and the block.

Maybe the double roller feature required that the links be made a little wider than stock?

FordFETruck 11-16-2012 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12490871)
Well, if it wasn't having issues before the timing chain was installed, then I'd put my money on that being your problem.

I don't see how it would keep getting tighter. It would expand with heat, not shrink.

I would check to see if maybe it's just barely contacting the block somewhere and causing shavings from either the block or the chain to come off. Might even be worth it to pull it and check the back side of the chain that faces the block and look for any wear on the chain and the block.

Maybe the double roller feature required that the links be made a little wider than stock?

The thing I found very weird was, when the engine was cold when it was brand new (has 40 miles on it now) it would have a tiny bit of slack, and after a warm up I checked it while it was warm, no slack at all. This chain is about twice as wide as the crappy single roller that I took off, if you go to my albums I have pictures of the new vs old. I even sent Cloyes an email about the slack issue and they said that after the engine warmed up the gears would expand and take the slack up, and if I wanted a chain that had absolutely no slack in it that I would want to get the true roller double roller set.