Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

FordFETruck 11-09-2012 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12468725)
Washed the truck and hit the engine with some Engine Brite. Can't really tell how well it worked since it was about dark when I cleaned it.

Also went by the muffler shop earlier today and asked how much it'd cost to put a little glasspack on. $60. Noooo thanks.

I need to call around to see how much it would cost to have a exhaust system put on my truck if I supply them with a muffler and cat, my current exhaust system is so hokey, muffler showing and kinda loud.

TheKirbyMan 11-09-2012 10:36 PM

I have no muffler...lol

Well, I do, but I cut the pipe when I was trying to put a glasspack on myself. 'Pack didn't fit, you can't duct tape exhaust pipe (for long), so I've been driving around straight piped. Sounds nice IMO but it doesn't have any real low-end tone to it.

Have you looked at your options for aftermarket cats? Magnaflow makes some that aren't priced too badly, around $70.

I used to have a 40 Series Flowmaster on my truck at one point and it sounded awesome, but for some reason I decided I wanted a quiet exhaust and I later put my 40 Series on my Jeep. I should have just left it alone...lol

FordFETruck 11-09-2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12468749)
I have no muffler...lol

Well, I do, but I cut the pipe when I was trying to put a glasspack on myself. 'Pack didn't fit, you can't duct tape exhaust pipe (for long), so I've been driving around straight piped. Sounds nice IMO but it doesn't have any real low-end tone to it.

Have you looked at your options for aftermarket cats? Magnaflow makes some that aren't priced too badly, around $70.

I used to have a 40 Series Flowmaster on my truck at one point and it sounded awesome, but for some reason I decided I wanted a quiet exhaust and I later put my 40 Series on my Jeep. I should have just left it alone...lol

I was looking at those magnaflow cats, from the way they describe them they sound like they are built pretty well. I want my pipes to be 2.5" from the headers to the passenger side in to one 3" pipe, then the cat then the muffler and out back behind the passenger tire like it would have been stock. That's how the exhaust system is on our van and I love it, except the van is a 1978 and doesn't have a cat. LOL

TheKirbyMan 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

Would you get caught if you ran it without a cat?

FordFETruck 11-09-2012 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12468786)
Would you get caught if you ran it without a cat?

With my luck probably, exhaust shops get a big nasty fine around here if they put an exhaust system on a vehicle that originally came with one, and don't put a converter on or put the old one back on. Or remove one and don't put a new one back on. I currently don't have one, but for the trouble it's worth to just spend 70-90 bucks. And not get a fine for not having one if you get caught isn't worth the 2-3 extra HP for me lol.

dancraig 11-10-2012 12:13 AM

I did some body work today. Did a Bondo job on four rust out holes. Will sand tomorrow.
I've spent over a grand on the ole boy lately. It's running good now.

FordFETruck 11-10-2012 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dancraig (Post 12468933)
I did some body work today. Did a Bondo job on four rust out holes. Will sand tomorrow.
I've spent over a grand on the ole boy lately. It's running good now.

Do you have any pictures of the body work?

dancraig 11-10-2012 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12468935)
Do you have any pictures of the body work?

No, but maybe I can take some after I sand. If I do, I will post.

My "81 F100 has "four on the floor". Was that a common set up, or unusual for that truck?

Thanks.

75Three90 11-10-2012 04:19 AM

I havent seen any 80's with colume **** manuals so i guess it commen and ive seen alot of 3 speed manuals in the 80's as well as far as my truck i sat and stared and my cab and sighed disgustedly

75Three90 11-10-2012 07:00 AM

I found this truck what do yall think of it for the price im looking at it for a project
1980 Ford Truck

Gary Lewis 11-10-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 75Three90 (Post 12469217)
I found this truck what do yall think of it for the price im looking at it for a project
1980 Ford Truck

How are you going to title it? Other than surface rust due to the paint having gone away I don't see serious body problems. But, when buying a vehicle you can't drive to test you have to assume there are many problems in the running gear. So, while $600 isn't bad, you will probably end up with more invested than if you bought a good one that is a daily driver. Trust me on this, I've done what you are thinking of doing, more than once. In one case I sold the truck for $1000 less than what I had invested in it, and other than engine machine work I did everything myself.

75Three90 11-10-2012 07:42 AM

since he is (or claims to be) the original owner all i need is a copy of his dl and a signature and i can go get a title for 5 bucks at the dmv printed out right then and there, ive been lookin around and that one caught my cause of the 300 ive had diesels, 460s, 351, 302, but never a 300 of my own and i want one, gary didnt you used to have a green lighting look alike? i found another i posted as a question on the 87 96 page it was a 1994 ext can swb and it was CLEAN askin 500 obo with a bad motor (atleast thats all they said about it) i was wanting to see what was wrong with it exactly and maybe looking it over

85lebaront2 11-10-2012 07:50 AM

What have you done to your truck today?

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12468799)
With my luck probably, exhaust shops get a big nasty fine around here if they put an exhaust system on a vehicle that originally came with one, and don't put a converter on or put the old one back on. Or remove one and don't put a new one back on. I currently don't have one, but for the trouble it's worth to just spend 70-90 bucks. And not get a fine for not having one if you get caught isn't worth the 2-3 extra HP for me lol.

Matt, what is the weight class on your truck? A lot of the F-250/350 trucks with the 351HO or 460 were over 8500 GVW and as a result are non-catalyst, mine is. If you have to have one, look at Archion's "project 359" herehttps://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1152648-archion-s-build-thread-aka-project-359-a.html
He discusses his exhaust plans for his 351W into his 86 F-150.

Gary Lewis 11-10-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 75Three90 (Post 12469317)
since he is (or claims to be) the original owner all i need is a copy of his dl and a signature and i can go get a title for 5 bucks at the dmv printed out right then and there, ive been lookin around and that one caught my cause of the 300 ive had diesels, 460s, 351, 302, but never a 300 of my own and i want one, gary didnt you used to have a green lighting look alike? i found another i posted as a question on the 87 96 page it was a 1994 ext can swb and it was CLEAN askin 500 obo with a bad motor (atleast thats all they said about it) i was wanting to see what was wrong with it exactly and maybe looking it over

Ok, should be easy to get a title. But, I hope you understand about the cost. You need to go into it assuming that what could be wrong will be wrong. That way you won't be disappointed, but otherwise you are almost sure to be. And, while it or the one w/o an engine would be good "projects" they are highly likely to be bad investments.

Don't understand "green lighting look alike".

86fordtruck 11-10-2012 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 12469338)
Matt, what is the weight class on your truck? A lot of the F-250/350 trucks with the 351HO or 460 were over 8500 GVW and as a result are non-catalyst, mine is. If you have to have one, look at Archion's "project 359" herehttps://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1152648-archion-s-build-thread-aka-project-359-a.html
He discusses his exhaust plans for his 351W into his 86 F-150.

That's a good idea. Check the placard on the top of the radiator core support. If it says non-catalyst you need not worry about the cat. If it does say "catalyst" you do need one. I have used the Magnaflow cats on my build. Double check the GVW as they have ratings based on that factor. My 2-1/2" cats were like $103 apiece. They are only 11" long and 4" diameter, so they will fit pretty much anywhere in your exhaust system. Double check the application, but I think the Magnaflow universal cats are a good value. :-X22